But....why would you want to get bulky?!

Options
2»

Replies

• IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I don't have a very good poker face. I am sure she knew I was not amused. Might say something to her, might not.
  • ArtsyLaurie
    ArtsyLaurie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I started doing Stronglifts 5X5 a month ago. I'm down 5lbs already! If somebody asked me that, I'd tell them I'm planning to cosplay a female World of Warcraft orc. I dunno about any other ladies, but if I -did- get bulky, I'd be showing that stuff off!

Good for you, shrugging her off & getting your PR!
  • slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    slp51 wrote: »
    This is why I love Planet Fitness, my gym. They have in huge letters on the wall "NO JUDGEMENT ZONE." (If I told them they spelled "judgment" wrong, that would be judging them, wouldn't it?)

Trainer Tom that I sometimes work out with at the gym is all over lifting. His philosophy is to lift first hitting the big muscles first, and then 20 minutes of cardio, "if I want." He explains that the muscles repairing themselves burns calories all day long, and cardio is really just good for your heart.

I thought the "no judgement zone" actually didn't take kindly to serious lifters? Just the word on the street though, I've never tried PF myself.

Actually, not true, at least in my gym. It is true they frown on people who slam down weights and walk around strutting their stuff. But there are guys (and women) who are seriously cut who work out in my gym.
  • morowinder
    morowinder Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Most people who will hire a PT "don't want to get too bulky", this breeds trainers that don't know first thing about lifting. In my gym there is only one trainer I have seen touching the barbell.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    She's ignorant and from her perspective she probably thought she was helping you. Ignore!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    slp51 wrote: »
    This is why I love Planet Fitness, my gym. They have in huge letters on the wall "NO JUDGEMENT ZONE." (If I told them they spelled "judgment" wrong, that would be judging them, wouldn't it?)

Trainer Tom that I sometimes work out with at the gym is all over lifting. His philosophy is to lift first hitting the big muscles first, and then 20 minutes of cardio, "if I want." He explains that the muscles repairing themselves burns calories all day long, and cardio is really just good for your heart.

I have also the same experience with planet fitness, so it probably depends a lot on where you are, since I have read a lot of awful stories online. There is no sign, and the default program they give to everyone (no discriminations, men and women get similar advice) is high reps low weight on everything, but the trainers are very open to helping with lifting and encouraging women to lift.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    Options
    Is saw a personal trainer in my gym the other day (the woman I am ranting about is not a PT, she is a cardiac rehab therapist). She was instructing her female client on how to do squats. I know there is some debate over proper form in the "parallel" or "*kitten* to grass" schools of thought. I myself squat all the way down. This PT had her client barely even getting to parallel, telling her that she should not go any lower or she would hurt her knees. Is this true?
    (Oh, said PT, also had a very flat butt, which makes me distrust her on principle LOL)

All of these things make me love this site even more, as I can ask questions of people who share the weight lifting passion.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Is saw a personal trainer in my gym the other day (the woman I am ranting about is not a PT, she is a cardiac rehab therapist). She was instructing her female client on how to do squats. I know there is some debate over proper form in the "parallel" or "*kitten* to grass" schools of thought. I myself squat all the way down. This PT had her client barely even getting to parallel, telling her that she should not go any lower or she would hurt her knees. Is this true?
    (Oh, said PT, also had a very flat butt, which makes me distrust her on principle LOL)

All of these things make me love this site even more, as I can ask questions of people who share the weight lifting passion.

You cannot know unless you know this woman's circumstances. It is common to ask a beginner or someone out of shape to not squat all the way down the first times, and it makes sense. I have actually hurt my knee in the past from squatting, so if this woman was trying to focus on form and get used to the exercise, it makes sense.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    Options
    Ahhh, I know, I just thought it was funny. The client looked to be in way better shape than I, however. Who knows, I was making light, not trying to offend. Though from the sessions I have seen of them, and I have seen a few, it is def. the high rep low weight variety.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

You cannot know unless you know this woman's circumstances. It is common to ask a beginner or someone out of shape to not squat all the way down the first times, and it makes sense. I have actually hurt my knee in the past from squatting, so if this woman was trying to focus on form and get used to the exercise, it makes sense.

I hope if the person was suppose to be working on form the trainer had them doing bodyweight squats. Squats with good form will not hurt health knees.

• Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options

For a perfectly healthy person, stopping above parallel puts more stress on the knees (shearing force.) By breaking parallel, you shift the force away from the knees.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    Options

For a perfectly healthy person, stopping above parallel puts more stress on the knees (shearing force.) By breaking parallel, you shift the force away from the knees.

This is what I had come to understand as well. I have tried both ways and definitely felt better with my knees doing below parallel. Yes, she was only doing body weight squats. Question on squats though, if I am feeling soreness in one ankle after, what could I be doing wrong?

Regardless, if the lady at the desk has anything else to say about by program, I may do more than just ignore her. You get a free pass to comment once....but just once.