P90X or Insanity?

Options
My husband and I are looking for a program to do together. Do you have to have extra equipment for either of these programs? Which would you recommend, P90X or Insanity?

Replies

• iamthepreston
    iamthepreston Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have both and do not use either. Actually , today, my cousin a marathon runner came and borrowed my P90x.

I would recommend p90x over insanity. Insanity is really tough to try and start with unless you already have a high level of cardio fitness.

P90x you will need dumbbells and a pullup bar.

P90x is a good program to get you into shape but it is very time demanding. It is also not going to put on any muscular size, but your muscular endurance will improve drastically.

It will definetely help you shed a few lbs.

Also look up supreme 90 on the net. I do not have it but from what I see it is almost idenetical to P90X and costs like $20 bucks.

Best luck to u.
  • iamthepreston
    Options
    Here is a link I looked to make sure i got the name right,

https://www.supreme90day.com
  • Rodneymc4
    Rodneymc4 Posts: 62
    Options
    I have both.

My wife and I are starting phase 2 or week 5 of the P90X program tomorrow, and we love it. It's time consuming--about 60 minutes a day (90 minutes for Yoga) but it goes by quickly because you are constantly moving, burning calories and maintaining a constant heart rate within your zone. We use resistance bands because we don't have a pull bar at our house, but I check my pull-up progress at the gym daily and at 45yrs old, I'm doing more pull-ups and chin ups than I've ever done in my life. Resistance bands are a great invention in the physical fitness arena. I absolutely swear by their effectiveness.

The Insanity program has too much plyometric (jumping) for my 45 yr old knees and joints. My teenage son does insanity and the old man kicks his butt in the physical fitness department. Hell his mother kicks his butt with push-ups.

I think P90X is safer and you will lose weight, gain lean muscle and be in the best physical shape of your life. I can't wait until tomorrow.:tongue::tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
  • angelworm
    angelworm Posts: 35
    Options
    Currently, I'm doing P90X and just finished my first week of it. I really like how every day is a different work out. It keeps me entertained while I am getting fit. :)
    I will say that yes, it does demand more time than usual workout routines. The DVDs that have weight lifting and weight training have you do all your sets twice. So 30 minutes in to doing your maximum reps of pull ups and push ups (ex. Shoulders and Back DVD) you find out you get to do them all again.
    And also, the Yoga DVD - which is pretty intense for yoga - is an hour and a half long.
    I like the fact that I am pushing myself with the stamina to get through every DVD. I think that it's worth the little extra - I guess that's the X in P90X. LOL!
    And I can fit this workout schedule into my daily life because I have two hours in the afternoon to myself that I can use as work out time. Two hours gives me plenty of time to do the routine and shower in time for my hubby to get home from his work. :)

I think that P90X is more realistic to do because you do what you're able to do for each workout and strive to be better the next time around. In fact, all of the exercises from one day to the next use your muscels differently so you might be sore, but you won't be trying to do more of the same with soreness.

Hope this helps!
  • iamthepreston
    Options
    Love your pic. hahahahahaha
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I chose to buy Insanity over P90X because you don't need any equipment for Insanity. My friend also motivated me to get Insanity. There is a lot of jumping in it but I really enjoy it despite the fact that I can never keep up with everyone in the DVDs.
  • creickson
    creickson Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have done both and currently am doing a hybrid of the two. The first poster is a bit incorrect. P90X will put on muscle, Insanity will probably not. Both are great programs and I highly reccomend them, if you just want to lose weight and not buy any equipment go with the Insanity.