Replies

• joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    How much do you run now?
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Following - I've just commited to a half marathon next year.
  • choosehealth76
    choosehealth76 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I run on average 25-30km a week some weeks are better than others!!!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    1. Spend at least a year at the half marathon distance--meaning follow a HM plan a couple times, get a decent mileage base. You should really be running 4x/week or more on a regular basis for marathon training.

2. Follow one of the beginner/first-timer training plans. Don't push too much speedwork too fast. To limit the risk of injuries, you want to increase one variable at a time: distance, frequency, intensity. Your first go-round is about increasing distance.

3. Get used to running SLOW. In most training plans (FIRST is the exception), the vast, vast majority of your 35-50 miles per week will be at your "paper bag pace", that is, a pace so slow you can't bear to see people watching you run at it! Also, when you consider how marathon training will fit into your busy life, realize that the miles you'll be running WILL be slower probably than you're used to. Consider the time commitment.

4. Start YESTERDAY to work on strength and flexibility in your hips, glutes, quads. Foam roller, The Stick/rolling pin, spiky massage ball under your feet. Donkey kickbacks, clamshells, hip hikes.

5. Do your long runs on a route as hilly or hillier than the course you will be racing.

6. In the race itself, do not go out too fast. You WILL want to, and you will probably try to. Don't let yourself. Hold back. Twenty-six point two is a whole lot of miles.
  • choosehealth76
    Options
    Thanks useful info I am looking into the future - right now not doable for me!!! Turn 40 next year was hoping to cross it off my to do list might need to wait a little longer though!!!
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

6. In the race itself, do not go out too fast. You WILL want to, and you will probably try to. Don't let yourself. Hold back. Twenty-six point two is a whole lot of miles.

ESPECIALLY this! I ran the first 16 miles the last marathon I ran at a pace about 1:00 faster than my original goal and bonked at the 20 mile mark......it sucked....a LOT.

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Come peruse the Long Distance Running group for more great runner thoughts. :)http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/94-long-distance-runners
  • choosehealth76
    Options
    Very important to remember!!
  • Hilary75
    Hilary75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Training for a marathon is like a job. I did mine about 10 years ago before husband and kids, actually hubby and I were newly dating at the time of my last one, and even then I felt like my whole life was running. We have 3 little kids now and I don't feel like I have the time to dedicate to training for a full. I'm all about the half though.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    1. Spend at least a year at the half marathon distance--meaning follow a HM plan a couple times, get a decent mileage base. You should really be running 4x/week or more on a regular basis for marathon training.

2. Follow one of the beginner/first-timer training plans. Don't push too much speedwork too fast. To limit the risk of injuries, you want to increase one variable at a time: distance, frequency, intensity. Your first go-round is about increasing distance.

3. Get used to running SLOW. In most training plans (FIRST is the exception), the vast, vast majority of your 35-50 miles per week will be at your "paper bag pace", that is, a pace so slow you can't bear to see people watching you run at it! Also, when you consider how marathon training will fit into your busy life, realize that the miles you'll be running WILL be slower probably than you're used to. Consider the time commitment.

4. Start YESTERDAY to work on strength and flexibility in your hips, glutes, quads. Foam roller, The Stick/rolling pin, spiky massage ball under your feet. Donkey kickbacks, clamshells, hip hikes.

5. Do your long runs on a route as hilly or hillier than the course you will be racing.

I'm currently training for a full and I agree with all of this. Go slow. Then slow down. I love the 21k runner for the half marathon training, too.