How to avoid emotional eating?

Options
2»

Replies

• blue_eyes1978
    blue_eyes1978 Posts: 127 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Drink water, or suck on ice cubes! Seems to help me :)
  • blue_eyes1978
    blue_eyes1978 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're going through that. I have a suggestion, though...something I learned in school. Take a Vitamin B complex or eat foods rich in niacin, vitamin D and vitamin B6. These vitamins raise the levels of serotonin in the brain. When serotonin is decreased it makes us sad, depressed and more likely to overeat due to emotion.
    Dairy foods, eggs, fish, legumes, lean meat, fortified grains and nuts, poultry, chickpeas, liver, bananas, squash, rice, spinach, watermelon, leafy green vegetables, wheat germ, beans, salmon, orange juice and avocado are among the best food sources of these vitamins.

Thanks for this I have someone in my house hold who needs to boost their serotonin levels they decided they no longer are going to take meds so I guess I will be keeping these items on hand so they will eat them :)

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    crawfzilla wrote: »
    Eatplain rice cakes with your own toppings on them - peanut butter, Caramal or chocolate sauce. They're almost no calories

Uh, no...they aren't.

OP, dealing with the source of the angst will help longterm but in the mean time, I find keeping busy helps. Planning and prepping meals also helps - set your meals and eating times and stick to them. I find that if I have pre made meals in the fridge and plan time to eat them I can generally stay away from anything else. I also know I have to keep busy for a certain amount of time,so that takes my mind off food...
  • IDreamOfEating
    IDreamOfEating Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Emotional eating is a problem for me to. It still is. Some of the tips mentioned above are what I did years ago. Drinking water, keeping myself occupied, and if I was still "hungry" in the evening, I would have protein shake.
  • KatieGirlie12
    KatieGirlie12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great information and feedback. My partner loves junk food in the house so it is so easy to join right in. Physically moving from the area when he is snacking helps me most.