Hi. New and Scared...

Options
Eshgheee
Eshgheee Posts: 7 Member
Hi all,
So my story (cut short) goes something like:
Age 8: 160 lbs
Age 10: 180 lbs
Age 14: 210 lbs and Jenny Craig began as the first of many diet plans...
I'm sure you're getting the drift...I'm 5'5 and as a female who has struggled with losing and gaining weight SO many times I'm tired and sick ...sick and tired of this shadow casted over me due to the weight. I need to lose over 150+ lbs.
I'm asking for anyone out there who can relate and/or willing to support me through this endeavor.
I'm nervous, yet excited. I'm emotional, yet numb. I've begun something that I must finish if I want to live, literally.
I look forward to any replies.
Thank you and God bless.

-me

Replies

• aerchemist
    aerchemist Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey, never give up! This is a great first step. It seems silly, but something as simple ad being aware of what we eat vs what we burn is an empowering tool that puts the control in our hands. ... Or, at least, I hope so lol. I am brand new here too and still figuring it out. God doesn't give us more than our souls can conquer. You undoubtedly have a strong spirit that WILL overcome this huddle. God Bless you.
  • periodsop
    periodsop Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I understand your struggle and have been on more diets than I can count. Just being here is a huge first step. Feel free to add me if you like as a friend; we all need support! We can all decide to not quit together. :)
  • sstrack123
    sstrack123 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Add me if you like, I feel we all need support and encouraging words most days.
  • maryastewart52
    maryastewart52 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! It's doable!
  • JennWehry06
    JennWehry06 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I know all too well about what you're going through. My story is very similar and I also need to lose at least 150 to get to a healthy weight. You can friend me if you like. You can do this!
  • slimjame
    slimjame Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It is funny at how many times we try and fail until we succeed. As everyone else has said, do not give up on yourself: you can do this. I am finally getting myself to get started again. I have always been severely overweight and it has stunted and defined me. I had tried (and failed) several times to get the weight off. One day it just clicked for me and I just slowly started to lose the weight. I lost a bit over 90 pounds in a year, then I made a few stupid decisions and started to fall back on eating as an emotional aide. A year later and I am almost back to the beginning, minus around 15 pounds. I spent the last handful of months very disgusted with myself and how far backwards I have traveled. ...But that wasn't getting me anywhere. So, here I finally am...ready to start all over again. I have about 125 pounds to lose and I am determined to do it right this time. Feel free to add me -- support systems make this thing a million times easier :).
  • Eshgheee
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I truly appreciate your support and comments. Once I get my footing, I would love to support all of you if you would like.
  • Eshgheee
    Options

• Eshgheee
    Options
    I think the post got cut off! What I was adding is:
    I'm exhausted of making accommodations for my heavy self and mind games that it comes with.
    ...make sure you sit on right chair so you fit, pray it doesn't have handles, cover more than one seat on bus, metro, painfully tight plane seat (get belt extender), will I fit in that booth, as we approach it at restaurant...and always being hot in summer because I have to pay extra to cover my sleeveless top with something else, and then the mental price for the heavy, wobbly set of arms...the list goes on.
    I don't want to do this for the rest of my life!! I cannot!! And will not!! Let's do this together!!! I know you're out there w similar experiences.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Go and look on the success page, there any many with more to lose and who have succeeded. Gratz for doing soemthing about it, be prepared to get the knowledge you need as to how to lose weight healthily. Its straightforward and you cna increase your chances by avoiding obvious mistakes as well as developing good habits. If you prepare and then commit you can do it, its in your hands.

Start with some useful info here.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • Dustinsteven22
    Dustinsteven22 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My glad you decided to reach out and share your story. I know it's hard being so open. Feel free to add me. Support is the key to success
  • maldito_ritmo
    maldito_ritmo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Dont stop dont give up!!!!
  • hilliesmom46
    hilliesmom46 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I feel ya in the struggle. You can do this add me and we can get to our goals supporting each other.
  • kaileybunny
    kaileybunny Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat a year ago. I still have 75 lbs to go and I know we can do it together. Please feel free to reach out of you need to talk or even if you need suggestions for dinner. My phone/app is always on me. You can do it girl! Stay positive, don't let one bad choice get you down, pretty soon you're going to be sharing your success story!
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I just got here today, too. For what it's worth, I've been up and down and up and down, and the easiest loss I've ever had was following a doctor's order to stop eating white carbs. Brown rice instead of white, whole-grain bread instead of white (that's a bit harder, because so many "whole wheat" breads are mostly white flour - you have to read the ingredients carefully) and no potato chips or candies (I used to regularly stop on the way home for a candy bar or ice-cream bar ...).

Of course, if your doctor had other directions, you follow those! :) But you can do it.
  • BrownSheep
    BrownSheep Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I support you. Please be gentle with yourself and give yourself time to make changes. I gave myself 66 days before I judged anything. I read that it takes at least 66 days to change or acquire a habit.

For me, it has been a matter of changing how I approach food and sticking with exercise until I learned to get joy out of it. I like to think that I am playing "the long game: the possession and use of a long-term strategy."

Blessings,
    Em aka BrownSheep
  • BrownSheep
    BrownSheep Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Eshgheee wrote: »
    Hi all,
    So my story (cut short) goes something like:
    Age 8: 160 lbs
    Age 10: 180 lbs
    Age 14: 210 lbs and Jenny Craig began as the first of many diet plans...
    I'm sure you're getting the drift...I'm 5'5 and as a female who has struggled with losing and gaining weight SO many times I'm tired and sick ...sick and tired of this shadow casted over me due to the weight. I need to lose over 150+ lbs.
    I'm asking for anyone out there who can relate and/or willing to support me through this endeavor.
    I'm nervous, yet excited. I'm emotional, yet numb. I've begun something that I must finish if I want to live, literally.
    I look forward to any replies.
    Thank you and God bless.

-me

BTW, From my highest weight, I am down 64 pounds overall with another 55 to go to get to my goal weight. I lost the first 58 and then regained 16 of those. I am 5'4" tall and will be 49 years old. I have some quirky neuro deficits due to a brain aneurysm in 2001 after which I had 2 strokes. So, I can empathize.

I have only been on MFP for 101 days. I am a newbie too. My last bloodwork showed improvements in my cholesterol and A1C after only 9 weeks on MFP. So, even when the weight loss is small the payoffs can be big.

My feeling is that if I can hang with it on MFP then anyone can! Believe it or not, it starts to be fun.

Smiles again,
    Em

• meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    totally do-able. I was overweight since birth (literally....I was about a 12 pounder...my size and lack of technology in that hospital led them to waiting for "the other one" to come out before realizing I wasn't twins :P). I was never a dieter. Frankly, I was quite happy with myself, but had to lose weight to be a viable candidate for kidney donation. Decided to lose it and that was that. You've made your decision. Just stick with it and you're good to go. feel free to add me if you like.
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My advice is to think of this as a lifestyle change rather than something temporary. And lifestyle changes don't happen all at once.

In my opinion, people have the greatest success in changing their lifestyle when they take it one step at a time. Do each step until it feels so "normal" that you don't really think about it, then add another step. This is true for many things in life.

For you, the first step I would do is just eat as you normally do but log everything you eat. Do this for a couple of weeks or more to get a feel for where your problem areas are. For example, I've learned that I'm a night snacker and I eat most of my calories from dinner onwards. Recognizing this allowed me to tailor my eating so that I reserve extra calories for evening and can 'get my fix'. Making the switch to smaller breakfasts was hard at for me at first, but now I'm so used to it that I don't really notice it. Logging will also help you see if there are any easy fixes, such as skipping that latte or afternoon chocolate bar (my weakness in the past!). Also, I was shocked to learn just how crazy high in calories some foods were (tip: don't eat anything at Starbucks!!). You really can't get a good idea of where to go without knowing where you are, and too many people have no idea how much they are eating or their patterns of eating.

Next, I would start to slowly ramp down your calories. Yes, this will add some time to your weight loss journey, but you are already looking at a year or more so what's a couple more months if it helps keep you on the straight and narrow? For us North Americans, our eating patterns are largely habit and habits can be changed, bit by bit. Try too much at once, and we long to go back to "normal". It's tempting to jump right in, but going from 3000 calories a day to 1200 in one step is setting yourself up for failure, IMO. Even if your first calorie goal is above your maintenance needs (thus, technically you would still be gaining weight, but not as fast), the point here is to get used to eating less and eating differently. Play around with the "calorie economy" and become familiar with it. By slowly ramping down your goal, you won't notice the missing food as much.

Best of luck to you!
  • kelli102972
    kelli102972 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I understand. I'm also 5'5 and 265lbs. I need to lose 115lb at a minimum. It's so hard to give up a food addiction. I'm trying to stay at 1,800 calories right now. If you want to talk, please add me.