BREAST FEEDING MAMA

Options
Juneliliy
Juneliliy Posts: 21 Member
edited May 2015 in Success Stories
Hi everyone,
So my baby is going to be 4 months old in a few days and I must say I am very happy with my progress thus far. I gained more than I planned during my pregnancy 194 at my heaviest because I was not watching my food intake or working out for that matter, and work stress did not help. Today I am down from my heaviest pregnant 194 to post baby 157lbs. My journey still continues. I am not looking to be thin super fast, but to be fit. I am only 5'2 inches tall and my goal is to be able to reach a lower % body fat and have muscles! I want to be in a weight range between 125-130lbs. As a mommy of two babies I just want to be able to be healthy and have energy for them and be the best role model for them. My biggest concern is making sure I am eating adequate amount of calories to keep up with my milk production since I am nursing and plan to continue pumping milk when I return to work on June 1st. What are other mommy's doing out there to be in their best shape, lose weight, yet have great milk production???
Thank you ladies!

Replies

• nickibowen
    nickibowen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Let your baby nurse on demand. And drink lots of water. Breastfeed all five of mine. Last one is 10 months old and still nursing good. As long as I'm eating a balanced diet it's all good. Your body will adjust to her needs as long as you have some excess fat storage.
  • goddessheatherr
    goddessheatherr Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend dieting until about month 5. This is MY OPINION. My milk did not regulate until about 4.5 months and I am a stay at home mom who fed on demand. Basically had a baby latched on 24/7! Other than that I have no help. Sorry. Good luck you will get there! :blush:
  • sarahat10
    sarahat10 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had my baby in December and started back dieting in March she was 4 months, I have been eating 1250 - 1450 calories and we nurse on demand, haven't had any supply issues as long as I drink water and I have been loosing about 2-4 lbs a week! I'm loving it!
  • Juneliliy
    Juneliliy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    sarahat10 wrote: »
    I had my baby in December and started back dieting in March she was 4 months, I have been eating 1250 - 1450 calories and we nurse on demand, haven't had any supply issues as long as I drink water and I have been loosing about 2-4 lbs a week! I'm loving it!

Wow amazing results! Yeah nursing definitely burns calories...I can definitely do 1450kcal! And thank you for all the advice ladies @sarahat10 @nickibowen @goddessheatherr
  • ckcrocker
    ckcrocker Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The key here is balance. You want to be sure you're taking in enough calories to make the milk. Watching your milk supply should help you determine if you are pushing too hard. If you are, your milk will drop right off and that's not good for baby either. Focus on lots of healthy choices with your intake. What a great inspiration for your children momma!
  • TribalmamaEmily
    TribalmamaEmily Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am also eating between 1200 and 1500 calories, 4 months pregnant and bfing my 11 month old 2-3 times a day (which happens to be my 8th exclusively FOD breastfed baby (today also eating solids). In addtion i do HIIT with weights on a daily basis.

I know this is going to be controversial b/c i have people commenting on my calorie intake once in a while when they discover i'm pregnant.

But the truth is this is my 9th back to back pregnancy. And I have more energy today than when i was in my 20's and thankfully so with all these littles to look after! ;o)

Milk production is created by prolactin and oxytocin. It is hormonal. Calories are not really the issue. One can drink teas (Borage leaves, Blessed thistle, Raspberry leaves, Nettle, anise, Coriander...just google it) and up milk production (my sister did this when she went back to work and had to pump). So clearly one is not adding too many calories here... rather it is about properly functioning hormones.

Every BODY is different. However in my journey i have found that an increase in healthy fats and quality protein will keep one satiated, within their caloric goals and create a consistent milk supply.

Honestly, I just posted today about how i was amazed that i am in my 4th month and still bfing my 11 month old 2-3 times a day b/c every previous pregnancy i would loose my milk by this 4th month. Increased fat intake is what i give this credit to. Healthy fats from avocados, fish oil, flax oil, coconut oil, butter and quality protein. And i do drink a lot of water.
  • prestonyashley
    prestonyashley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I am the opposite I'm trying to gain weight.. Before I got pregnant I weighted 115, and when I was pregnant I weighted 138 now I'm down to 94.. I have a huge chunky baby boy that seems to take all my food do y'all mommy's have any suggestions for me to gain?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!