Plugging in MedGem BMR numbers

I recently did a MedGem (http://www.mimhs.com/home/) test at my local gym. The device gave me a BMR number based on measuring my oxygen consumption; I want to plug that number in to MFP for calculating my daily intake numbers. Is there a way to do that or am I stuck with the age/gender/weight calculation that the site uses to estimate?

Replies

• lonerockz
    lonerockz Posts: 100 Member
    edited May 2015
    MFP does not have a calculator that uses BMR. But you can set your daily calorie goal in settings->goals->calories&macros. To calculate your daily needs these are the formulas:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Then subtract from that your weight loss goals based on 1lbs is 3500 calories.

For example:

BMR of 2000.
    Lightly active.
    1.5 lbs a week weight loss goal.

2000 * 1.375 (lightly active) = 2750 A day
    1.5 * 3500 = 5250 a week. Divide by 7 = 750 daily deficit needed.
    2750 - 750 = 2000 a day is your calorie budget.

BTW, I strongly recommend that you choose "sedentary" or "lightly active". You're going to be logging your exercise in MFP and If you choose one of the other categories, you're going to be effectively double counting exercise. For example, if you chose "moderately active" You get a 350 calorie boost to your budget. BUT it means that you should NOT log the first 350 calories that you exercise each day.

Good luck!

• lesliezimmer
    lesliezimmer Posts: 85 Member
    I found the same issue when i first came here. It is giving me 1375 cals to eat per day, but my BMR is around 1400-1500 depending on what online calculator I use. Then, I went and did the oxygen test and that said my BMR was closer to 1450.

Thank you for the info above!
  • paulrobichaux
    paulrobichaux Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks! I already had the BMR calc and was using "sedentary" because I work at a desk; my exercise is all a bonus. I didn't know where to plug in the target number of calories.
  • deltayork
    deltayork Posts: 71 Member
    Did you find out where to manually enter your calories? If not click on "settings" then "Goals" and edit the number in your Daily Nutrition Goals