Bouncing Back After Surgery

Options
Last Monday, I had a hernia repair surgery, and it went quite well. I have a 10 x 8 piece of mesh in my right side, but there was enough healthy tissue that the doctor didn't have to anchor the mesh with screws into my bones like he thought he might. I was previously worried about hospital food because I'm so careful to weigh and measure everything, but the real issue was eating enough because my stomach was a mess afterwards. I might have been able to go home on Thursday if I had been able to eat solid foods actually. Anyway, I'm back home and I want to resume as close to my healthy lifestyle as I can. I know most exercises are out because anything that moves my abdomen is horribly painful. Right now, getting up to go to the bathroom is an exercise. I've also learned not to bother weighing myself since my scales says I gained 5lbs. I know that must be swelling and the weight from my drain tube. I also know that I need to make sure to eat enough to recover well. I did talk to the dietician, but she seemed distracted and basically just reminded me not to eat too much. I've got that one. I had been aiming for 1200-1500 calories before, but I thought it might be best to aim more towards the 1500 for right now. (I'm 5'4" 200 lbs currently not counting those 5 supposedly gained while in the hospital) I'll get up and move around enough to keep myself healthy, but avoid anything too taxing, and just ignore the scales for the time being. Right now my health is more than just a number on a scale. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• Daveysgirl2014
    Daveysgirl2014 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Although not as serious I have a surgery coming up on the 26th of June. It's actually an outpaitent thing. In on Friday and back to work on Monday. Just not sure when I will be able to resume the workouts i'm currently doing. I guess i really don't have much useful advice. Sounds like you're pretty much doing what you can. Don't guilt youself into a depression for any gained weight. You took it off before, you'll do it again. Just, whatever you do, don't get frustrated and quit.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Your body will burn an incredible amount of calories as it heals itself. I had a spinal fusion and lots 6 or 7 pounds while I was mostly confined to my bed.
    I did get up and walk around my house with the walker and got up to a mile or more after time but can't really attribute the weight loss to walking or any other exercise. I was on pain meds so I wasn't hungry much and I know that helped.
    I went into surgery at 248 and am down 60+ pounds since then. The jump start I got while recovering started me on my path to a healthier lifestyle.
    Best of luck to you!
  • Lady_Grell
    Lady_Grell Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I had gotten up to 245lbs at one point, so there's no where I'm going back there. I want to move onward to onderland and to healthy land. I'm just going to do my best. For the first time since the surgery, I'm hungry for meat, so I think I'll get some nice baked chicken for lunch. I don't think I need to be as strict as I was when it comes to food, although I don't want to travel too far down the pop and chips aisle either.
  • kskinnyperfect
    kskinnyperfect Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I got my acl repair surgery done 4 months ago which called for pretty much no physical activity for at least 2 months . After surgery your body is repairing itself so I would recommend taking a small break from counting calories and letting your body have whatever fuel it needs. Go with recovery xoxo
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You're body is going to heal itself with the food you eat, so be mindful when you do go down the chips and soda aisle! I've had major abdominal surgery (kidney transplant), and I was in as good shape as an underweight woman on dialysis could have been. A week after the surgery, I was travel out of town to attend the theater, a month after, I was auditioning for a stage production (non-musical, so no dance call), and I can't even remember when I was "normal" again. Just take it day to day. If you take care of yourself, you'll know when you're ready for more (and, of course, according to your doctor's wishes based on your surgery follow-ups).

You're lucky you had your surgery before summer! I'm meeting with a surgeon a week from Monday about my complicated gallbladder removal. The first surgeon basically said, "You need this surgery, but I don't feel comfortable doing it!"
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Hope your recovery goes well! If you were under general anesthesia you can retain alot of water and bloat! Often takes me a good 2-3 weeks after a general to get to my normalish weight. (7 general anesthetics in 9 months.. I've been tracking the weight it comes with out of some kind of morbid curiosity. Lol)

Your body needs fuel to repair itself and recover so head towards the higher end of your range for a couple of weeks and focus on healing yourself.
  • Lady_Grell
    Lady_Grell Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Vune wrote: »
    You're body is going to heal itself with the food you eat, so be mindful when you do go down the chips and soda aisle! I've had major abdominal surgery (kidney transplant), and I was in as good shape as an underweight woman on dialysis could have been. A week after the surgery, I was travel out of town to attend the theater, a month after, I was auditioning for a stage production (non-musical, so no dance call), and I can't even remember when I was "normal" again. Just take it day to day. If you take care of yourself, you'll know when you're ready for more (and, of course, according to your doctor's wishes based on your surgery follow-ups).

You're lucky you had your surgery before summer! I'm meeting with a surgeon a week from Monday about my complicated gallbladder removal. The first surgeon basically said, "You need this surgery, but I don't feel comfortable doing it!"

I had a kidney transplant August 28th actually. :smile: Believe it or not, this hurts worse in many ways. This hernia was caused by the peritoneal dialysis, and my transplant surgeon didn't want to touch since it's very close where the new kidney was placed. I have to be so careful about infection right now, but I'm following doctor's orders closely.

I had anesthesia for both procedures, but the bloat's hanging around longer this time around. I had show weight loss by the time I had left the hospital (which was 5 days) after the kidney transplant even though I had managed to eat more, but I'm showing a 5lb gain this time around. Like I said, I know it's not actual weight. I'm just going to eat well and stay healthy. As I get better, I'll improve my routines once more.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Lady_Grell wrote: »
    Vune wrote: »

I had a kidney transplant August 28th actually. :smile: Believe it or not, this hurts worse in many ways. This hernia was caused by the peritoneal dialysis, and my transplant surgeon didn't want to touch since it's very close where the new kidney was placed. I have to be so careful about infection right now, but I'm following doctor's orders closely.

I had anesthesia for both procedures, but the bloat's hanging around longer this time around. I had show weight loss by the time I had left the hospital (which was 5 days) after the kidney transplant even though I had managed to eat more, but I'm showing a 5lb gain this time around. Like I said, I know it's not actual weight. I'm just going to eat well and stay healthy. As I get better, I'll improve my routines once more.

Ah, so you're an old pro--Congratulations! I actually had my transplant surgery in August, too! August 3, 2000! The worst pain I've ever felt (physically) was when I sneezed a week after the surgery.But I wasn't looking to lose weight at the time of my transplant. I was just really active. Try being active even when you're resting. If you knit or crochet, like crossword puzzles, or even tabletop puzzles when you're upright more! Even if it isn't exercise, your brain and body will appreciate the effort.