Measure Your Boobs

Options
Seriously. Here I am, going along for almost a decade thinking I'm a 36DD. After a few months on my weight loss journey, I got excited that my cinch is too small for some of my older bras to fit even once (and mad, because that means I have to buy new bras). Thought I was a 34DD.

I got sized for the first time ever yesterday. I was WAAAAAAY off! 32G/GG! My jaw hit the floor. And then they gave me some bras to try on, and my jaw hit the floor yet again - it was the first time a bra has properly fit me, and it *really* showed off just how thin my torso had gotten.

So, ladies, go get measured. It's kind of awesome. Except now I have to buy even more bras (and they ain't cheap in my size).

Replies

• a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I am definitely going to get measured when I am closer to my goal weight! Where did you get it done?

(Also, G!?!?! Must've been great to get the proper support for those!!)
  • namrettik
    namrettik Posts: 127
    Options
    I am definitely going to get measured when I am closer to my goal weight! Where did you get it done?

(Also, G!?!?! Must've been great to get the proper support for those!!)

I had to go to Indianapolis (about an hour drive), because that's the closest place that I'm aware of. That store only has two branches, though.

And yes, the proper support was wonderful. The ladies that sized me must have felt awkward since I was just staring in the mirror, flabbergasted, for a good five minutes.
  • notOpel
    notOpel Posts: 46
    Options
    Wow, congrats on your lovely lady lumps! :laugh:
    NSV for sure!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Yep if your boobs themselves arent shrinking but your rib cage measuring is, it actually causes you to go up in cup size! Im glad you got measured! More women should, but yes unfortunantly you are almost on the cusp of needing semi-custom to custom bras! And those are not cheap!
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Yes, get measured... most upper scale stores will do it for you... I just went to Victoria's and got resized... sadly... I'm losing the girls!!! Went from a D to B... so glad Vicky's secret is push up bras!!!!!!
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    :noway: :embarassed:

Not that I should be admitting this, but I remember seeing on the Today Show, or the Doctors (I can't remember which) a while back where they were talking about how the majority of women are way off. And they gave some pretty intense reasons why having the proper support is a must.

Congrats to getting it done!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Yes, get measured... most upper scale stores will do it for you... I just went to Victoria's and got resized... sadly... I'm losing the girls!!! Went from a D to B... so glad Vicky's secret is push up bras!!!!!!

Be careful at vickies, unfortunantly their sizing is sometimes off compared to other stores. I personally go to bra boutiques to get sized, because the non-chain ones put more importance in getting it right. Employees at Vickies take a 2 hour orientation that includes a brief rundown on how to size, most of the girls dont even know how to hold the measuring tape right
  • namrettik
    Options
    Yep if your boobs themselves arent shrinking but your rib cage measuring is, it actually causes you to go up in cup size! Im glad you got measured! More women should, but yes unfortunantly you are almost on the cusp of needing semi-custom to custom bras! And those are not cheap!

Thing is, I don't think they would have gone up *that much* from a couple inches off the cinch. I'm pretty sure I'm just bad at guessing, or refused to believe that I was larger than a DD and bra manufacturers just didn't understand my body shape. e_e
  • namrettik
    Options
    :noway: :embarassed:

Not that I should be admitting this, but I remember seeing on the Today Show, or the Doctors (I can't remember which) a while back where they were talking about how the majority of women are way off. And they gave some pretty intense reasons why having the proper support is a must.

Congrats to getting it done!

Yeah, the employees there said just about everyone wearing a DD isn't a DD. The reason is that's the highest cup that's sold in most stores and most widely available. That, and any cup that might be higher at a store tends to have a larger cinch, too.
  • mammado11
    mammado11 Posts: 26
    Options
    Nordstrom's measures you too! My friend got it done there!
  • Suzannejl
    Suzannejl Posts: 212
    Options
    Congrats on getting the right size! I am afraid that went I finish my weight loss journey my story will be the opposite. My pre-weight gain size was always a 32 A(almost B). I really don't want to go back to that. It's nice to have your cami's, bras, and bathing suit tops stay down on their own!!! Do you want to share? lol ;-)
  • lexy84
    lexy84 Posts: 1
    Options
    Congrats on getting it done! I know exactly how you feel! I just got sized not to long ago and all my life I thought I was a 36c, turns out I'm a 34 f!!!! I went to this place and they were amazing! The sales ladies really know what they are doing here! http://www.myintimacy.com/
  • Brooke1542
    Brooke1542 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I recently had a breast reduction and after healing I went in to get measured to see what my new size was, which was a 34D. I had always thought before that I was a 36DD, but there is absolutely no way I was that small. They took 1/2 a pound from each side. I can't believe how far off I was on my size, I'm sure it would have a made a huge difference in how I felt before I had my surgery if I was wearing the correct size of bra!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've been squeezing into 34 and 36Cs but I'm actually a 36D. I just have to buy good quality bras so they don't stretch and become too big around my ribcage 'cause technically my ribcage is 34". Sigh. Sad to go back to a D but as long as my bras are comfy I don't care!
  • musica814
    musica814 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I wore a 36DD for the longest time, simply because it was the largest size I could find at chain stores (Kohl's, JCPenny, etc). I went to Victoria's Secret to get sized after I'd lost a little bit of weight, and the girl who measured me said, "Um...yeah, you're a 36DD...." and was just really awkward about it. She tried to sell me some 36DD bras but I didn't like the way they fit. I went to a privately owned lingerie shop downtown and was measured as a 34 F/G!! I couldn't believe it either, I know exactly how you must have felt. I looked thinner, my boobs were shaped perfectly, and there was more support than I knew what to do with!! So yeah, bottom line: VS employees will lie about your size if they don't carry it. It sucks cause bras in our size are more expensive but it's so worth it!
  • serendipity22
    serendipity22 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I went to a lingerie store to have my chest measured. I found out that I'm a 38FF. I was surprised but I'm glad I know. It did cost a lot for new bras but they make me look great.