Motivation at an all-time low

Options
I've been having trouble lately; more accurately, I've been having some trouble for the past couple months.

I've lost approximately fifty some pounds since I started working out properly in September, 2014. But I started stalling about three or four months ago, and I have struggled to get down to 220 or less, and hover around 225 lbs to 230 lbs. I have noticed other changes, such as strength in my lower body. I recently ran 5.5mph... but only in five minute increments, and now that I'm thinking about it, it doesn't feel like that big of a deal at all.

I'm also aware that logging on MFP will help me much more, since I haven't consistently used it in an age and a half. But my motivation is at an all time low. Sometimes I'll feel motivated and then the people in my life tell me that I clearly don't try hard enough, since otherwise "the scale would reflect that" and I stop caring for a time.

How do I get out of this rut? I've tried changing up my workouts, I've eaten differently, but everything still seems to stand still. I know I need to push myself... It's mostly my motivation. I've been doing this for almost a full year now and don't feel like any of it has really mattered. I keep getting myself into a cycle of 'You don't work hard enough' > Feel bad, legitimately don't work hard > Feel okay, work hard (but am I actually?) > Get shot down; rinse and repeat.

Discuss.

Replies

• marcied2015
    marcied2015 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've been there done that but you know what you need to do. Think of you and ignore others around you. You need to put yourself first. Honestly, using MFP has changed my life drastically. It had made me make better choices. You can do this just take one step at a time and build up on your excercise and eating. I have done my weight lose with all regular food. No powders or special meals. Weightloss takes time and your worth it. I'm here to help if I can.
  • bwp180
    bwp180 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I had no motivation - and what helped me was just setting a one day goal. Three days in a row I started but didn't finish. The fourth day I got through the day - did what I set out to do. Day 2 was the hardest but I did it and then day 3 to now - five months ...many days I just set out thinking about that one day and some I thought long term. And don't beat yourself up. Just keep trying your best - one day at a time. I'm exactly at the same point - trying to get lower than 220. I got to 222...last week and am now at 225. But I know I can do it...it's just hard. But don't give up.
  • TheRoseRoss
    TheRoseRoss Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think we often sabotage ourselves with the "the scale would reflect that" mentality. Unfortunately, I haven't come up with a good analogy for it, but here goes:

Try to take the composition of your body into account: would you prefer to weigh 225, with 10% body fat, or would you prefer to 190, with 30% body fat? According to "what the scale reflects," you're better off @ 190 than you are @ 225, yes? Because the scale measure quantity, not quality.

As for motivation, unfortunately that's your journey. I've met some here that are motivated by being able to fit into old clothes that they've outgrown. Some wanting to not have to shop at plus size stores. Others wanting to simply not be embarrassed to take their shirt off at the beach/water park this summer.

I don't think you will ever be "trying hard enough." I've been working my self seriously (not the half assed, trying to convince myself that I am methods of before) for 2+ years now. I look back at myself when I first began and thought I was giving it my all, and realized "Wow! I wasn't. I thought I was at the time. If only I knew then what I know now." Even today, I can look back on the previous day at the gym and find little things that I should have done better, and beat myself over the head to do better next time. Try to not let other people tell you how hard you are, or are not working. Don't tune it out entirely, necessarily. But YOU hold yourself accountable.

Perhaps try picking one thing that you want, and then sit down and try to figure out how you're going to work toward that. I didn't go t the waterpark one time with my daughter last year because I was too ashamed of the people that I knew would be judging me. It sounds so stupid and self centered now, thinking that the entire world was just sitting, waiting for me to get to there and take off my shirt, because EVERYONE would be watching me. I missed an entire summer of making memories with her because I was too caught up in myself. I told myself that wasn't going to happen this summer, so my goal was "don't be ashamed to take off your shirt." To achieve that I decided:
    1) eat something green with every meal

2) eat lean protein with every meal

3) exercise regularly, and with conviction; don't be the person that does 1 exercise, spends 10 mins socializing, does another exercise, socializes some more, does 10 sit ups, and then leaves the gym saying "Yeah! Great workout!"

4) recognize and learn from your mistakes; my diet is solid during the week when I have the structure of the work day to keep me on task. On the weekends when I'm free to roam, I rummage for junk food all day. I've started keeping apples in the house to snack on when I feel cravings coming on. They help me to not want to eat anything

5) Don't kid yourself: I think of all this like paying off a debt. Everything "good" that I do take a chunk out of the debt. Everything "bad" that I do only increases my debt. Some people like cheat days. I'm not discouraging cheat days. But to me, would I rather spend this "money" on something to treat myself, or would I be happier forging the treat, and being that much closer to being out of debt? Some need to treat themselves from time to time. That's fine. But make sure you're "treating yourself," and not "cheating yourself."

Figure out what you want (I suggest that it be more than "for the scale to show a certain number"), and then think of the little steps that you're going to make to obtain it:
    - Drink water instead of pop
    - Eat smaller portions
    - Always take the stairs instead of the elevator

It may seem as though you're throwing pennies at a very large debt, but the pennies will add up.
  • messiahs
    messiahs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    @RossAH - thank you so much for your response. It's solid and makes me think a little harder. I know I can't focus just on the scale - there's so much more to think of, and I should appreciate all the little things because they'll all add up to something big. Like throwing pennies at a large debt! It all adds up.

And you're right; I know when I'm working hard. I can be honest, but it's hard, and I'm stuck in the habit of making excuses for myself at times. But I've been doing this so long that at least my guilt kicks in quickly and I don't skip exercising, not like I used to. It's just hard to be honest to myself, which is what I NEED, because I'm so used to a lifestyle of just... being lazy, which goes hand in hand with excuses, almost.

Thanks again for your reply!

@bwp180 - I don't know if I should strive for that "every day needs to be my best day" when I exercise. I'm really off and on with my exercising - 2/5 days are ones I would consider "good". I just need to keep pushing to find that sweet spot, I guess?

@marcied2015 - Thank you very much for your reply!
  • paulmadv
    paulmadv Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with Rossah. Easier said than done. I am over weight because I like to eat carbs. It temporarily makes me feel good. I turned to the community ( just now) so I can distract myself from eating until dinner. 20 min to go. wml
  • aDivingBelle
    aDivingBelle Posts: 49 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hey, you lost 50 lbs didn't you? You already have accomplished so much.

I know I just gave up last year because I stalled for so long on my weight loss, and I ended up just quitting and now I weigh more than I ever did. It was such a huge mistake, if I could prevent you from making it I would, because now I have to start over.

I'm not going to ask you the usual, are you weighing your food questions or any of that. But if you believe you are eating at a deficit and you are working towards weight loss and it isn't happening it might be time for a trip to the doctor. Maybe something else is going on, which would make you giving up worse. If nothing medical is going on it might be a good idea to get some support from a nutritionist or another professional.

Just don't give up! Frustration is your brains way of telling you to try something different. Either a different exercise or it might just be time to tweak what you are eating. Just because things aren't working right now doesn't mean there isn't ways to get it done. It just takes a lot of trial and error to find out what works.