Water

Options
Any tips on how to drink more? I know I'm supposed to have 8, and I have my jug full of 8 glasses on the counter, but I still only manage about 3 MAYBE 4.

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i would go on this..

when you pee, is your pee more clearish in color? if so you're drinking plenty.

coffee, tea count as water..and remember much of the food you eat contains water and that counts too
  • Thexplodingirl
    Options
    How much is in the glasses? A standard bottle of water has 2 8oz servings.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    If youre having a tough time drinking it due to the flavor, you can try ice, natural flavorers (orange, lemon, lime, min leaves) or things like crystal light or Mi0(those do have preservatives if youre against that though)
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I don't count coffee, tea, etc... toward my water totals. Try drinking a glass before meals. I also try to have a big glass next to me at night when I am watching tv. I try to get in as much as possible before 8pm. (I stop then so I'm not up all night) I only drink water with my meals, in fact other than protein drinks and the occasional juice or smoothie, I only drink water,period.
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    i would go on this..

when you pee, is your pee more clearish in color? if so you're drinking plenty.

coffee, tea count as water..and remember much of the food you eat contains water and that counts too

That's how I was always taught... clear means you're hydrated. Because I can... I chug 64 oz on the way out the door for work in the morning. That sets me up to pee. Once I get peein, I don't stop. So it means I'm constantly refilling my bottle throughout the day and runnin for the urinal. It's sort of a game with myself... how many times can I make myself go pee? lol

Otherwise, I would try using Crystal Light or Mio or something, but try to stay away from them all that often as you could only spark your taste for sweets.

On a slightly separate note... I'll never forget my first time seeing Bear Grylls squeeze an elephant turd for water... be thankful we don't have to do that and enjoy away! lol
  • Solomonre0
    Solomonre0 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Drink on a small scale. Get out your measuring cup and pour 8oz (which is one glass of water), you can probably get that down in 2 gulps. Set your timer for 30 minutes and when it goes off go and do the 8oz again. Do it again until you're at your 8 glasses. I always get intimidated by the large glasses but when I cut it down to the small amount I find I do just fine.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Yes you do go my color of your urine The 8 glass rule was made in the 50"s for the military to keep hydrated during maneuvers. you go by the color of your urine it is supposed to be the color of lemonade.if its too lite too much water too dark not enough
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options

Sorry, this isn't true. Anything with caffeine doesn't count in your daily water intake.
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I struggle with water drinking, too.

Please take a look at this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/224200-drinking-enough-water
  • LTRUITT3
    LTRUITT3 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    This may be weird but I use a straw to drink....this helps me alot. Im always over 8 cups.
  • waterfallaus
    Options
    I have a hard time with water too and tend to have it with me when eating. Staying away from everything else. If I drink something else liek water with Mio I make myself drink a glass of plain water afterwards. I do hate getting up to pee so much at night as I have to climb a set of stairs!
  • LukeEalden
    LukeEalden Posts: 38
    Options
    I used to detest just drinking water but my body has got used to it now.

Saying that, I predominantly drink 'no added sugar' Orange Squash. Virtually no calories but the flavour makes it more palatable.

I make up 2x1 litre bottles before I go to work, one for the morning and one for the afternoon. This ensures I'm at least 2 litres down by the time I get home. I then have a pint or two with dinner, another pre-workout, plenty post-workout and a pint before bed. I therefore drink about 4-5 litres daily.

Of course this means I pee a lot, but it's always really clear and I'm told if that's the case, little fat pockets can be peed out so I try and tell myself that each time I go I could be losing a bit more fat!!

Drinking the water makes a big difference to me, I'd strongly encourage anyone and everyone to drink drink drink!
  • lexiwho
    lexiwho Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    One of the big things that helped me when I first started switching my drinking habits was to use a straw. I'd put a straw in a cup and try to drink it down within 30 minutes, refill and repeat as the day goes on. Over time, I started craving water rather than sodas and such. Crystal lite (or whatever drink packets, I use the Great Value ones from Wal-Mart) are good but don't use them in every glass, it's good to get pure water in your system.
  • netty42
    netty42 Posts: 16
    Options
    i fill a water bottle up after my evening meal and just sip it during the evening,its supprising how fast it goes,i can't drink big chunks of water but sipping during the evening works for me ,i was not drinking any at all so at least i an drinking some,i also do same at work just sip during the day from a water bottle,it goes really quick,i now drink betweeb 6 and 8 cups a day ,hope this helps a bit xxx
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help! :D