weight watchers

Options

Replies

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I would never do weight watchers because i believe it half-educates people on nutrition, makes the process of eating more complicated that just counting calories. It isn't explained to you exactly how it works (by ultimately cutting the amount of calories/fat/fiber/protein you consume) and may alter your perception of certain foods.

How many people come to MFP insanely confused that fruit and veggies actually have calories? A lot, thats how many.

In my opinion, weight watchers may be good in the social aspect of going and meeting with people in a physical setting but it is lacking in the tracking of foods. I would use MFP for watching my diet, go to WW for the meetings and then slowly ween myself off of that.

Just my 2cents.

The fact that people do not know that fruits and vegetables have calories is NOT WW's fault.

^^This.

And WW is very explicit in telling people to eat a REASONABLE amount of fruits and veggies. They are very clear that it's not a free for all. When I read posts on the WW forum where people say, "I can eat all the fruit I want??? Cool!" I would always tell them to go back and read their materials, because they just don't get it. I remember a woman who couldn't understand why she wasn't losing and later revealed that she was eating half a watermelon every day.

With any weight loss program--be it WW, MFP, whatever--a modicum of common sense is required.

• maineapple
    maineapple Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I was always starving on WW. I have a large frame and never felt like I had enough to eat.

In addition, I felt like there was too much of a reliance on using low fat/fat free foods with aspartame in them. I won't eat or drink anything with aspartame (nutrisweet) in it as I had a physician tell me one time that aspartame attacks the surface of the brain over time and that really scared me.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I would never do weight watchers because i believe it half-educates people on nutrition, makes the process of eating more complicated that just counting calories. It isn't explained to you exactly how it works (by ultimately cutting the amount of calories/fat/fiber/protein you consume) and may alter your perception of certain foods.

How many people come to MFP insanely confused that fruit and veggies actually have calories? A lot, thats how many.

In my opinion, weight watchers may be good in the social aspect of going and meeting with people in a physical setting but it is lacking in the tracking of foods. I would use MFP for watching my diet, go to WW for the meetings and then slowly ween myself off of that.

Just my 2cents.

The fact that people do not know that fruits and vegetables have calories is NOT WW's fault.

I think it kind of is. They promote the idea that fruits and veggies are "Free!" and "eat as many as you want no points!"

Actually, they don't. I did it just under 2 years ago, and fruits and veggies were free up to about 5 servings. And some, like avocado and corn, we're not free. Neither the book I had from them, nor the leaders, gave the impression they were calorie free.

Plus, with proper science/health education, everyone should know this isn't true.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Just my 2cents.

I think it kind of is. They promote the idea that fruits and veggies are "Free!" and "eat as many as you want no points!"

Plus, with proper science/health education, everyone should know this isn't true.

This was my initial complaint. They dont offer that. And in my opinion that's where they fail. They dont educate people on how the points are calculated, why they're calculated that way, etc. If they did i imagine people would just count cals.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Just my 2cents.

This was my initial complaint. They dont offer that. And in my opinion that's where they fail. They dont educate people on how the points are calculated, why they're calculated that way, etc. If they did i imagine people would just count cals.

That's fine, I guess, but MFP doesn't offer it either unless you start doing research and learn for yourself. Which is why we have lots of people on here wondering why they aren't losing. That isn't unique to WW.

And my whole point is how do we get to a point where so many people have never learned that all food has calories. No way I could blame WW for that.

• booksandchocolate12
    edited May 2015
    Options

Just my 2cents.

Nope. No. Nein. Nyet.

They do NOT say eat as many as you want. This is directly from the WW website:

"Yes, fruits and vegetables aren’t magically calorie-free just by dint of us making most of them free of PointsPlus values. We took this step to encourage people to eat more fruits and vegetables; foods that are nutritious, satisfying and help to encourage you to make healthy, lasting choices that will lead to weight loss.

If you’re concerned that you’re eating “too much fruit," ask yourself if you’re enjoying what you’re eating, or if you’re honestly stuffing yourself with bananas because they’re “free." Or maybe you’re blending pounds of berries and bananas with ice into big-gulp smoothies.

If you’re using fruit and veggies as a way to stuff yourself in lieu of stuffing yourself with less healthy foods, then it’s possible that you may be reaching the point of “too much." If you’re eating more than you used to, but you’re using them for healthy snacks, to bulk up your meals or as a tide-me-over when you’re down to the last few PointsPlus values for the day or week, then you’re probably OK.

The bottom line? Let your hunger, and your weight loss, be your guide."

All Weight Watchers members have access to this information. I think it's pretty clear that you can't eat as much as you want, and if people do gorge themselves on fruit, it's not because WW told them it was OK.
  • melissawhittaker490
    melissawhittaker490 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Thanks for the comments. I think the problem is its the first week and it was explained to quickly and when I asked about what to eat re: points like should be having a certain amount of protein etc they said just stick to the points so didn't really seem right!?

I have fruit and salad alot so on some days based on their points and theirs no points for fruit and veg I'm having basically fish, and bread as I have banana in morn with one toast and butter - toast and butter can be pointed - then salad with fish then a tuna sandwhich but with salad. So there's not that much to point plus have been exercising aswell though building this ill admit. I occasionally have a small pudding but it's very small.

I think maybe it's just the way it was explained.
    I honestly don't think in understand it.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    OP, I hope you have great success. WW is an ok program, and many people do well with it. Just remember the points system is designed to give you a calorie deficit without having to look everything up and add it all together. Sites like MFP make that a lot easier, but it was impractical when WW came up with the point system.

Just remember, there's no magic method. The idea is to eat less than you burn, and do that consistently. If WW helps you get to that habit, then you'll be doing just fine.
  • booksandchocolate12
    Options
    I was an online only member, but I heard that at meetings they always have a session after the meeting for new members, so the program could be explained. Did you go to that?

Also, the WW site has message boards too. You might be better off asking for clarification about the program there.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I did WW 6 years ago... But I was constantly hungry... Hungry all the time... I swore up and down they had my point too low but every time I brought it up they would constantly be blaming me for being hungry saying I wasn't eating correctly (when I was eating fine)

MFP is free so I'm using MFP for life.
  • melissawhittaker490
    Options
    Thanks guys ill see how I do this weigh in lol but yes I'll speak to them. They did a quick intro but it was a bit over my head. I signed up for a month so will stick that out and will find the online app to see if it helps.
    If not ill just a use this but but give it a chance I guess it may be working but just seems a little odd.
  • booksandchocolate12
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What is it exactly that's "over your head"? It's not a difficult program.

You get a certain number points a day, like MFP gives you a certain number of calories a day.

Every food has a points value.

Eat what you like until you hit your daily points value. You also have 49 "weekly" points that you can use as you see fit...spread them out over the week, or save them for a dinner out. Or don't use them at all. (I was on the WW minimum of 26 points a day, so I used some weeklies every day).

What is your question about the plan?

The mobile app isn't good for much except logging your food, so I don't know how much help you'll get from it.

And again....try the WW forums. There is a Newbie board there where people more knowledgeable than I am will be happy to help you.

• laura_lee414
    laura_lee414 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    There should be some sample WW"what to eat" menus in the starter materials.
  • melissawhittaker490
    Options
    What is it exactly that's "over your head"? It's not a difficult program.

You get a certain number points a day, like MFP gives you a certain number of calories a day.

Every food has a points value.

Eat what you like until you hit your daily points value. You also have 49 "weekly" points that you can use as you see fit...spread them out over the week, or save them for a dinner out. Or don't use them at all. (I was on the WW minimum of 26 points a day, so I used some weeklies every day).

What is your question about the plan?

The mobile app isn't good for much except logging your food, so I don't know how much help you'll get from it.

And again....try the WW forums. There is a Newbie board there where people more knowledgeable than I am will be happy to help you.

Helpful. The booklet dosent have a lot of food points in there so it's not easy to calculate.

To be fair given the level of "help" and your sending I probably won't bother with it anyway

its "over my head" because I can't figure out what the points are to er tain foods and it's not based on nutritional balance - just points. On theory a person could eat their point per day in *kitten* food - I'm really can't be arsed with this anymore anyway. It's completely bs. There's no or minimal explanation as yon how the points are calculated. It's crazy. So in response to why is it over my head and what is you question about the plan - there is no plan. Just points!! It's not balanced - it's nonsense.

I'm it wasting my time with it.

• afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    WW is great. I would happily use it if it was free. I think they do focus quite a bit on healthy eating, and I don't see how that's a bad thing. Common sense tells you that eating half a watermelon or 4 bananas every day because you think it's "free" isn't going to end well. Generally, though, people don't gain a lot of weight by filling up mainly on fruits and veggies.
  • Sweepypie
    Sweepypie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    WW is great. I would happily use it if it was free. I think they do focus quite a bit on healthy eating, and I don't see how that's a bad thing. Common sense tells you that eating half a watermelon or 4 bananas every day because you think it's "free" isn't going to end well. Generally, though, people don't gain a lot of weight by filling up mainly on fruits and veggies.

I agree with you about if it was free and everything else you have written. o:)
  • booksandchocolate12
    Options
    You're not wasting your time. You've barely given it a chance!

I sent you a message, if you want to talk further.

I love MFP but like others have said, if WW were free I would have stuck with it.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I have done both and have been more successful with MFP, probably because it seems simpler by design. You can look up how WW calculates points and just calculate them yourself if you don't want to pay for the program. It's something like fats, protein, carbs and fiber - http://www.calculator.net/weight-watchers-points-calculator.html.

In any case, I have known people that have been very successful with WW- it just boils down to personal preference.
  • NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have done both WW and MFP and I lose better with WW. The accountability at the meetings keep me honest. As others have mentioned before fruits are not free and you can't just eat a ton of bananas and expect to lose and my leader has also mentioned this. She's always said, "let your weight loss be your guide". Points values are very easy and I find WW food tracking a lot more simpler than MFP. MFP does have a HUGE food database but I found that confusing because there were so many different cals posted for something as simple as a chicken wing. WW website IMO is more straight forward and I find the meetings very helpful. I guess it all depends on what works for you. Pick a plan and stick with it and don't try to combine calorie counting with points and vice versa.
  • NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Also the getting started guide is pretty straight forward. I used it a couple of times but I am a monthly pass member, so I have etools. I would also advise you to at least eat your daily points. I eat my daily points and weekly points but I learned from the past that I CAN NOT eat my activity points. I seem to over estimate my activity and when I don't eat them I lose a pound a week. If you attend meetings then talk to your leader. I've always found my leaders more than happy to help me understand. Good Luck.