Sharing nutrition/diet tips

Options
Zowiesb
Zowiesb Posts: 19 Member
so today as part of my weight loss journey I got a little advise/lesson in nutrition. Finally someone gave me a clear idea of when to eat what carbs, when to eat protein and even what to eat before I do any exercise. I think the most interesting thing I learnt today was to avoid low fat products like low fat yoghurts or skimmed milk. Obviously that doesn't mean go crazy with the full fat stuff but there might be more benefits to it and less sugar in them than the supposedly healthier version.

What is your favourite nutritional or dietary tip? What works for you? Have you learnt or discovered anything new lately? Favourite snacks/meals?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I eat fat free greek yoghurt... Why would I avoid it if it fits my cals and macros?
  • Zowiesb
    Options
    I eat fat free greek yoghurt... Why would I avoid it if it fits my cals and macros?

If it works for you that's great, right? I think it just goes to show that one method doesn't fit/suit all.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Zowiesb wrote: »

If it works for you that's great, right? I think it just goes to show that one method doesn't fit/suit all.

Which isn't what you're saying in your OP?
  • Zowiesb
    Options

Which isn't what you're saying in your OP?

No. I was saying what I learnt as part of my programme/journey.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    so today as part of my weight loss journey I got a little advise/lesson in nutrition. Finally someone gave me a clear idea of when to eat what carbs, when to eat protein and even what to eat before I do any exercise.
    I am VERY curious what this idea is, and why it is clear to you. Would be interesting to hear who told you, too - not name, haha, but a professional, friend, family member?

I think the most interesting thing I learnt today was to avoid low fat products like low fat yoghurts or skimmed milk. Obviously that doesn't mean go crazy with the full fat stuff but there might be more benefits to it and less sugar in them than the supposedly healthier version.
    This is great advice :) I feel so much better eating the real and yummy stuff. Don't need the same amounts as with diet versions, saves me money too, lol ;)
  • Zowiesb
    Options
    so today as part of my weight loss journey I got a little advise/lesson in nutrition. Finally someone gave me a clear idea of when to eat what carbs, when to eat protein and even what to eat before I do any exercise.
    I am VERY curious what this idea is, and why it is clear to you. Would be interesting to hear who told you, too - not name, haha, but a professional, friend, family member?

I think the most interesting thing I learnt today was to avoid low fat products like low fat yoghurts or skimmed milk. Obviously that doesn't mean go crazy with the full fat stuff but there might be more benefits to it and less sugar in them than the supposedly healthier version.
    This is great advice :) I feel so much better eating the real and yummy stuff. Don't need the same amounts as with diet versions, saves me money too, lol ;)

Hi! A personal trainer explained it to me and gave me some literature as well which was for once easy to understand and grasp the concept of. I've also seen over the past few months a few articles on the news, on sites and in magazines about the hidden sugars and salt in low fat products to make it taste nice. I think there was a documentary as well but I never got to see that. I am not proud to admit I've tried a lot of diets and eating plans in the past so making the decision to see a PT wasn't a light one but I get to learn about making the right food choices and get to work out as well!

I am totally with you on the yummy part and saving money and yeah, it's about portion control which is something I am excited to be learning about.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

Hi! A personal trainer explained it to me and gave me some literature as well which was for once easy to understand and grasp the concept of. I've also seen over the past few months a few articles on the news, on sites and in magazines about the hidden sugars and salt in low fat products to make it taste nice. I think there was a documentary as well but I never got to see that. I am not proud to admit I've tried a lot of diets and eating plans in the past so making the decision to see a PT wasn't a light one but I get to learn about making the right food choices and get to work out as well!

I am totally with you on the yummy part and saving money and yeah, it's about portion control which is something I am excited to be learning about.

OK, that makes sense - a PT has knowledge about training, but not necessarily about nutrition. Anyone can post an article on the web, and magazines are made to sell, claiming sensational information. Only a small part of that is real and trustworthy. To decide what is true and what is not, is not always easy. Because health and weight affects us emotionally, it's even harder to determine. Often, we just want to believe.

Meal timing and food combinations are not important for weight loss or health. But - getting in all the nutrients we need is important for health and satiety, and when we feel full, happy and healthy, it's easier to make better choices and comtinue to eat better. Eating a variety of foods is for most people an easy way to get all the nutrients we need. Some combinations of foods - and this may vary from person to person - helps absorb nutrients better and lead to more satiety for less calories. But there is no magic involved.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    so today as part of my weight loss journey I got a little advise/lesson in nutrition. Finally someone gave me a clear idea of when to eat what carbs, when to eat protein and even what to eat before I do any exercise. I think the most interesting thing I learnt today was to avoid low fat products like low fat yoghurts or skimmed milk. Obviously that doesn't mean go crazy with the full fat stuff but there might be more benefits to it and less sugar in them than the supposedly healthier version.

What is your favourite nutritional or dietary tip? What works for you? Have you learnt or discovered anything new lately? Favourite snacks/meals?

1. Don't eat yellow snow.
    2. Don't get advice from Dr. Oz or Dr. Mercola or Oprah.
    3. Get plenty of protein and fat.
    4. Saturated fats are good fats too. (http://thebigfatsurprise.com/)
    5. Favorite meal: Salmon or beef or chicken, and rice or potatoes, and veggies. Lots veggies. Get plenty of veggies. Veggies are good.
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Yes,I wish you the very best!