macros help

Options
maria76l
maria76l Posts: 32 Member
Can someone please explain these to me ? I keep seeing people talking about them and noticed you can change them on the mfp app but ive no idea what they should be set at.
Tia Maria x

Replies

• alleykatt78
    alleykatt78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is based on the idea that your body needs certain nutrients (carbs, protein, fat) to support your lifestyle. Instead of tracking your calorie intake, the primary focus is on tracking those nutrients. It doesn't matter how you meet those numbers as long as you do. What i like about it is it isnt a restrictive approach. Meaning you arent focused on eating less, but eating what you need. Look up iifym or flexible dieting and it will give you more info.
  • maria76l
    Options
    Thank you x
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    It does matter how you meet your macronutrient goals from a health standpoint ...from a weight standpoint, not so much.

Focus on whole, minimally processed proteins and fats as well as carbs rich in nutrients and fiber.
  • maria76l
    Options
    I only eat wholemeal/wholewheat , low fat/low kcal, nut milks, soy or natural yogurt sometimes low fat greek yogurt, I don't add oils like butter or fats apart from frylight occasionally, I eat lots of fruit & veg and only eat lean meats, I have nuts and grains in moderation and for treats i only have low kcal cereal bars & light crisps but i never over do these they are included in my diet as a treat only. So I think this looks like an ok diet which should cover all the macros ?
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    maria76l wrote: »
    I only eat wholemeal/wholewheat , low fat/low kcal, nut milks, soy or natural yogurt sometimes low fat greek yogurt, I don't add oils like butter or fats apart from frylight occasionally, I eat lots of fruit & veg and only eat lean meats, I have nuts and grains in moderation and for treats i only have low kcal cereal bars & light crisps but i never over do these they are included in my diet as a treat only. So I think this looks like an ok diet which should cover all the macros ?

You seem to be focusing on micronutrients and fiber, but you're likely under eating dietary fat and protein like most people. Adequate amounts of both of these macronutrients are crucial to your long term health.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I second what sixxpoint said.
  • mceravolo
    mceravolo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just starting Flexible dieting or counting macros about a month ago. I love it! Just looking for people on a similar journey! :)
  • maria76l
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ok oh dear this is hard work and confusing lol
    I'm counting kcal to loose weight i think that's why I'm missing out on those then and to be honest weight wise it's working as ive lost 4.4lbs in 4 days, I'm excersing everyday as well.
    I don't really want to start adding bad fats to my diet so what would you recommend i change or use maybe more oily fish or something like Virgin oils for cooking ?
    See tell me to eat less kcal and kick my but excersing i can do but tell me to work out what my macros should be im useless lol
    thanks for your help everyone means a lot as not only do i want to loose weight but i want to be healthy as well.
    Maria x
    can i just add i do have almond butter in moderation which i have to say is lovely.