Need ideas for celery?!

Options
FluffyCorky
FluffyCorky Posts: 96 Member
Hi yall
I've got an entire package of celery left and I'm so sick of ants on a log and celery with salsa or salad dressing. Anyone have any good ideas for a snack that I can whip up quickly that uses the celery?? Hope someone can help!

Replies

• morningmom
    morningmom Posts: 100
    Options
    Have you tried hummus or cottage cheese? A couple of my favorites :)
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i eat raw or put into soups/stews..
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have been making soup with mine
    I used
    1 sweet potato
    1 onion
    2 carrots and about 5 or 6 sticks of celery (or more if you really like celery).

Simmered it for about 25-30 min (until soft). Put the Potato and carrot on first, then I cut onion and broccoli (there were only in there about 10-15min). Once cut add them to the simmering pot.
    Use a strainer to serparte the vegetables from the water. Then blend.
    The sweetness of the carrot works well with the stronger flavours of the celery. For a little extra flavor when simmering add a tea spoon of powdered stock or simmer in stock (I use vegeta gourmet stock).

This is about 83 cal per serve, I freeze and have it for lunch but it also makes a great low cal snack
  • Pixie7210
    Pixie7210 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am actually hoping you can help me. Can you please tell me what ants on a log is? I have never heard of it before and I am curious.
  • skyblue098
    skyblue098 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Laughing cow cheese- light? they make several flavors that are good.
  • Melimonkey
    Melimonkey Posts: 34
    Options
    ants on a long is where u take a piece of celery fill the groove with either peanut butter or cream cheese and these stick raisins into the peanut butter or cream cheese. Then the celery kinda looks like ants walking on a log.
  • soifua
    soifua Posts: 82
    Options
    ants on a log is a peanut butter filled celery stick with raisins on it :)
  • soifua
    soifua Posts: 82
    Options
    flavored cream cheese, any soft cheese (that you like), hummus, tuna salad, chicken salad, bloody mary ... or chop it up, wrap it in servings and freeze for soups or for other dishes you use celery in
  • Pixie7210
    Pixie7210 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I can't even give it a try cause my daughter is allergic peanuts.
  • Melimonkey
    Melimonkey Posts: 34
    Options
    i know that feeling Im also allergic to peanuts
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I mix 3 tablespoons of salsa with one wedge of queso & chipoltle flavored laughing cow cheese in the microwave and use that as a dip! Its delicious and very low cal.
  • meganwolsker
    Options
    low fat cream cheese mixed with pineapple and fill the celery sticks :)
  • nursekj
    nursekj Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You can make a batch of Tabboleh with lots of parsley and lemon juice add finely chopped celery into it. serve with hummus on top yum!
  • roqoru
    roqoru Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound weird, but celery and guacamole goes really really well together. :D
  • michelleion
    michelleion Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I always cook mine in a tomato sauce with a load of other veg and put over pasta or meat, or put it in a stir fry; the harsh celery taste goes away but it still adds nice crunch to the dish.
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    i like it in hummus or peanut butter or low fat cream cheese...or just plain
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I really like celery soup but it goes in just about anything...hidden (blended) in other soups and casseroles, also goes well in curry and other spicy dishes. I made bombay potatoes and added celery to the potatoes (kids didn't notice!)
  • skinniergrl
    skinniergrl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Celery and LF or FF bleu chunky cheese dressing and a big "glup" of hot sauce. Buffalo dip style. Wishbone makes a good low cal dressing....I cut my sticks into tiny pieces and munch away!
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Not sure how well traditional Chinese'll fly with you, but stir fry is excellent. Cut the celery into strips (2-3 inches lengthwise, 1/2 an inch width). Heat about a tablespoon of vegetable oil (for 1 bunch of celery, serves around 4) and pop in some strips of pork. Drop your celery in, add some salt and seasoning, and your done :)
  • kmcincy
    kmcincy Posts: 3
    Options
    Hot sauce, It's kind of like celery with buffalo wings. The sauce is 0 calories, plus the hot peppers increase your metabolism.