No gym access...how do I do strength training at home?

Options
2»

Replies

• dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I bought a resistance band kit which contains several different sizes of reistance bands. I really like them. They came with workout cards in the kit with suggestions.
  • cupajoe
    cupajoe Posts: 155
    Options
    Thanks for all the great idea and websites...I'll check them out. I do have some resistance bands-my 4yr old is always inventing exercises with them-lol. I'm a little nervous about yoga because the yoga dvd I have...I tend to hyper-extend my knee when I do it and then I can't walk for a week. My right knee gives me trouble anyway and that is always the one I manage to hurt. I'll try them again and see if I can be more careful.
  • mare91467
    mare91467 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Ugh. She really creeps me out! Her skimpy attire, her orgasm like moaning and grunting during her workouts...... I agree that she has some really great workouts but I can't get past the sexxing up of her routines. Although, I have caught dh watching them...... (eyeroll)
  • CarolAmanda
    CarolAmanda Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I loved ChaLean Extreme!!! It was the first time I enjoyed strength training. Heavy weights, but low reps. Made me feel strong. :)

Carol
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    As everyone says, body weight exercises, exercise DVDs, yoga, you can even build a DIY a suspension trainer.

Check out http://fitdeck.com/ for a deck of cards with specific exercises. These are a good way to keep your exercises varied and keep those muscles confused. They are available in loads of different catagories...body weight, pilates, junior, office, postnatal, exercise ball...the list goes on.....did that sound like an advert?
  • captainfez
    captainfez Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone, Android phone (or even pen and paper) there's the 100 pushups-style programs you can use. They exist for a bunch of exercises - dips, sit-ups, squats, etc.

The idea is interval training - you do short sets of the exercise with a break in-between. It takes something like half an hour a week to do one of the apps' programs, with the goal being that by the end of a period of time (six weeks? nine weeks? can't remember) you can do what the name says: 100 pushups, say.

Visit http://hundredpushups.com/ to check it out that's the pushups site, and there's links down the side to the dips, sit-ups, pull-ups and squats ones. Each one has a link to an app (cheap - it logs your data, etc) and if you don't have one of those phones, a pen-and-paper schedule you can use.

I've found them to be fun. Not necessarily easy, but not supremely difficult either. And you need a minimum of equipment, and can do them all at home. Bodyweight exercises are cool.
  • xFrancescax
    xFrancescax Posts: 33
    Options
    My workout bible in website form:
    bodyrock.tv
    It took me a while to get over Zuzana's skimpy attire, but the workouts are solid, challenging, and fast (usually 15-30 minutes tops).
    wow just had a look this is great! :)
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Ugh. She really creeps me out! Her skimpy attire, her orgasm like moaning and grunting during her workouts...... I agree that she has some really great workouts but I can't get past the sexxing up of her routines. Although, I have caught dh watching them...... (eyeroll)

I really don't feel she is sexing anything up! And the grunting I find to be just a mark of how hard she is working. I don't think I've ever seen any workout video where the presenter actually gets out of breath, so to see/hear her work up a sweat and react like a normal human being is actually quite refreshing IMO!

I like that her outfits are a bit on the skimpy side because I can see exactly what is happening and where. I can see which muscles are being worked, which I find very helpful. And let's face it, she's got an amazing body - not in a sexual kind of way, but in terms of peak performance! It's the same kind of fascination I feel when I watch gymnasts, and the perfect control they have over their movements. The human body is a truly awesome machine!
  • Laurab_1986
    Laurab_1986 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have to do physio at home for my knees.

Roll a towel in between ur legs and squeeze x 15 reps x 3 times a day.

Lie on the floor feet on the sofa and dig in heels. - in same position also lift pelvis and get thrusting.
  • JigglyPig
    JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Bump