Replies

• NerdyNix
    NerdyNix Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I love the spoon theory! Really helped my husband to understand
  • 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have a very unusual illness called chronic ideopathic pacreatitis. Most people have acute pacreatitis and most frequently they are alcoholics. I have the pain always with acute attacks of severe pain. Noone knows why.
    I have also survived three lots of cancer. Uterine thyroid and melanoma.
    So yeah I know what it feels like to battle an illness and keep in trying to lose weight. It's hard, really hard, and no one will ever understand that but you. But you know what? You can do it and those bad days will still be bad but at least you are defying that illness and doing something to be proud of.
    For a long time I felt that I WAS my illness. I was defined by my symptoms and pain by so very many people that I started to see myself that way too.
    But I am looking forward to defining myself as that seriously buff woman in the mirror, with a new profession (I had to quit my old one) and a great life forever how long that may be.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I have Spina Bifida Myleomenigecele, chronic kidney disease(hovering between stages 3-4), hydrocephalus. I also wear afos due to paralyzed calf muscles and crooked feet. I have lost about 33 lbs since February. I have my profile set to sedentary and on weeks where I am more active I just input the extra movement. I can have days and weeks where it is hard to get out of bed with kidney infections and all other kinds of madness.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    https://www.sciencenews.org/article/typical-american-diet-can-damage-immune-system
    I cannot access the whole article or find the names of the scientists. Even so, I find this intriguing.
    There is evidence that we can benefit from eating whole foods . . . cook at home.
    FOOD FIGHT: The body's bacterial community helps train the immune system to recognize and fight off invaders. New evidence suggests that those helpful microbes don’t care for fatty, sugary or salty foods.
    My gp has me on a daily probiotic.
  • NerdyNix
    Options
    85kurtz wrote: »
    I have a very unusual illness called chronic ideopathic pacreatitis. Most people have acute pacreatitis and most frequently they are alcoholics. I have the pain always with acute attacks of severe pain. Noone knows why.
    So yeah I know what it feels like to battle an illness and keep in trying to lose weight. It's hard, really hard, and no one will ever understand that but you. But you know what? You can do it and those bad days will still be bad but at least you are defying that illness and doing something to be proud of.
    For a long time I felt that I WAS my illness. I was defined by my symptoms and pain by so very many people that I started to see myself that way too.
    But I am looking forward to defining myself as that seriously buff woman in the mirror, with a new profession (I had to quit my old one) and a great life forever how long that may be.

I need a "like" button for this
  • auntpeema
    auntpeema Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have COPD, which has me gasping for air, sometimes just walking from one room to another. But reading here, I am reminded that I'm fortunate just to be able to walk. I have about 130 pounds to lose, but have taken off 23 pounds since March and can see a small difference in my breathing, so I'm motivated. My niece downloaded MFP for me only a week ago and I love it!! I take Prednisone and wasn't aware that it could stoke hunger, so that's another thing I've learned here. Don't feel so alone, now that I found you all.
  • annanavis
    annanavis Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am so inspired by all of you!

To chime in with my story, I've got chronic migraines, chronic back pain even after surgery, celiac disease, bipolar, fibro, ptsd, gastroparesis, a hepatocelluar adenoma that will probably have to removed, a who-knows-why dying gallbladder that is also going to have to be taken out, chronically cycling blood sugar levels that aren't quite enough yet to diagnose diabetes but enough to mess everything up, and I think I'm forgetting a few. I'm on too many medications to list, and almost all of them have the side effects of weight gain and increased appetite.

BUT

I am not my diagnosis. I am not defined by what or how many doctors I see or how many pills I take a day.

Even with food restrictions (gluten free, high protein, ultra low fat), medications, and diagnoses stacked up, I've lost 26 lbs since joining MFP in February -- 51 lbs total since last fall, and overall, 91 lbs down from my highest weight. 260 to 210 to 169. I'd like to hit 140, but I'll first be happy just to get into the "normal" range on the BMI chart.

I've found that I do best if I break my total goal down into smaller chunks, incremental goals. Then I let myself "sit" at a new weight for a couple of weeks or so, or even longer, to adjust to a new set-point, and then resume losing. I actually embrace my plateaus. This really helps prevent rebound weight gain, especially for those with 100+ lbs to lose.

But you're awesome! It's so great to read success stories, especially in the face of what most of humanity would see as overwhelming odds.
  • niteowl24
    niteowl24 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have budd chiari syndrome which is a blood clot blocking the vein in my liver. It was most likely caused by polycythemia vera a rare type of chronic blood cancer.

About 2 years ago i found out i was pregnant and decided i need to live better in order to set an example to my future child.
    I did prenatal yoga.
    I added veggies to my diet (which is huge in my world)
    Started taking vitamins daily.
    Cut out red meat.
    Cut out white flour, pasta, bread.
    I try to incorporate new foods and foods i have always found gross like aspargus and mushrooms, weekly
    I make smoothies.
    I eat oatmeal damnit.
    I premake meals for the week.
    I freeze fresh foods before they expire.
    Im trying to eliminate proccessed foods from my home (thats tough i also have a disgruntled teenaged stepson that needs processed food to survive).
    I go to the gym as much as possible but i should go more.

Its frustrating being tired all of the time. Wanting to do things but napping instead. If i do what i want i lose the next day and maybe even the day after that too.
    I take medication that helps but also makes me tired on top of tired.
    Eating better has made the biggest difference in my health and attitude.

I thought weight would fall off just by changing my diet...nope...not an ounce.
    So now i am logging my food. Hopefully this will help.
    I am blessed with a husband that is supportive of the changes. Its gotta be rough on him when i say things like, "tonight we re having butternut squash and spinach lasagne"
    But he knows he is benefiting from the healthy clean eating, whole foods diet.
    I know things will happen once i lose weight
    1. i will feel less pain and 2. The doctor's will have to stop blaming my weight and do thier damn job lol 3. I will be able to climb on park structures and go down slides with my kid and not feel like a whale of a mother that could possibly break the whole damn thing.

And yes the spoon theory is the best way to describe daily life.

• NerdyNix
    Options
    annanavis wrote: »
    I am not my diagnosis. I am not defined by what or how many doctors I see or how many pills I take a day.

This is an awesome way to view things. I am not defined by Lupus. I may start chanting that to myself!
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    NerdyNix wrote: »
    annanavis wrote: »

This is an awesome way to view things. I am not defined by Lupus. I may start chanting that to myself!

I've begun to understand that there's more to it than this--in a good way! Yes, I'm more than Alport Syndrome, but I'm also a face of Alport Syndrome. I am the face of hearing impairment, renal transplantation, and mental illness. What I do tells the world what I'm capable of. My medications have become part of my body, just like the foods I eat. My body is made from what I am and what I do. I can't reverse a genetic mutation, but that doesn't mean I can't become a person who represents the potential of every human.

It sounds so silly and metaphysical, but most of my friends are disabled. I know paraplegic yoga instructors, hearing impaired singers, dyslexic academics, and a MD who happens to have Cerebral Palsy, and that's just scratching the surface. I'll be more than okay to join their ranks as "inspirations" if being a face of disability means helping people who aren't okay with it yet.
  • NerdyNix
    Options
    That's a really great attitude to have! I definitely think you are inspirational :)
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    85kurtz wrote: »

My 18 year old brother has that too! It is so bizarre and doctors don't have the faintest clue what to do with him! He also has some of the worst C. Diff ever seen which has never been able to be controlled, one super enlarged kidney and the other kidney is extremely undersized, liver functions that are through the roof...the poor kid basically lives in the hospital. They said they can't do any more stints in his pancreas without it totally shutting down.

My illnesses are no where are severe but they do effect my weight loss efforts. I have PCOS, endometriosis, and am hypothyroid. I also deal with depression and anxiety. In the past 18 months I have lost over 135 pounds!
  • qkcam
    qkcam Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am glad you posted this.. is there a group for us on MFP? i have "chronic fatigue" low immune function and maybe lyme.. i was exercising trying to lose weight but then people told me i was "doing too much" exercise is the only thing i have left it feels like.. and it is hard to lose weight i seem to reach for food at nite esp when emotionally distressed. i would love to know if there is a mfp group for us? thank you.. and keep moving forward with your journey!
  • NerdyNix
    Options
    I'm not sure if there's a group but if not we should certainly get one started :) it helps to hear from others with similar health issues.
  • meggrose1985
    meggrose1985 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Lupus here, too. Combined with a heart defect and chronic migraines. Love the spoon theory. I try to make sure I have enough left to work out each evening, and if I don't, I don't borrow from the next day, because then I'm just working on a constant deficit.

I try to eat a lot of anti-inflammatory foods daily, like cherries, blueberry and ginger. I put cherries, blueberries, strawberries in yogurt and granola for breakfast, and make juice with ginger in it, or tea, so it's more palatable.

I'm currently loving Jillian Michaels 30day shred level 1 - I'm staying there and not moving on to level 2, like you're supposed to because I just don't feel like my body is ready for it yet. It's cardio, strength and abs in a 20 minute routine. It's challenging, but not too strenuous. My hands are in rough shape, so when it comes time to use hand weighs, I use 2lbs, or none at all.
  • kirstfk
    kirstfk Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have Fibro and am currently undergoing cardiology investigation for very low pulse rate after being on beta blockers for most of my life due to a heart defect I was born with. At the moment exercise is a no go for me except for gentle walking so I am just trying to do as much of that as my body will allow. It is possible to lose without exercise, just frustratingly slow. Half the battle for me seems to be staying positive and believing it though and that for me is where this site comes into its own. As long as you can be bold enough to post on the rough days there is always someone about to give you a positive to look at :)
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I have a few chronic health issues, though the major one that ruins my exercise plans is chronic vertigo and imbalance from a head injury. It waxes and wanes in severity, and right now I've been falling off of stationary objects so I'm doing the best I can to stay consistent. I've been managing OK with diet overall, and I have lost 42ish pounds so far. Another 5-10 to go.
  • lindawlas
    lindawlas Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I also have Lupus and have actually had it for almost 20 years now. It took me a couple years to come to accept this disease. I have been lucky tho, as it has only affected my joints. Listen to your body and if you wake up and it's hard to move or get around, then just let it rest. I find that my exercise of choice has been yoga and just walking! The drug that I am on is called Plaquenil. I have only been on this site for 10 days now and really find it helpful!
  • NerdyNix
    Options
    I'm on plaquenil too. Well that's the brand name isn't it? The drug is called Hydroxychloraquine. I've been given cheaper versions for a while now as apparently the plaquenil is pricey. Not noticed a difference though.
    I'm also on Tramadol, Gabapentin, Methotrexate and amitriptyline. I rattle! I used to take a few more but had to come of them when I had a problem with tachycardia last year
  • sadiqajamilla
    sadiqajamilla Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have Lupus. Took years for a diagnosis. Been in remission for about 7 months now. Just had a baby 5 months ago. Trying to use this period of being steroid free to get my weight down. Also have Fibromyalgia.