Tdee no weight loss

Options
i know this isn't a full on science but I lost 1lb last week with tdee method this week, this week increased a little, I've counted. Should I be tweaking numbers or waiting it out at this current amount?

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Wait it out. Weight loss isn't linear. I'd give it a good 4-6 weeks, then reassess.
  • ibnfaqir
    ibnfaqir Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I would give it another week and then go back to the drawing boards.
  • doolalytap
    doolalytap Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. Give it another few weeks before you reevaluate.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Since as a woman, your BMR literally changes through the month, you can't do anything less than 4 weeks to decide if working or not.

And TDEE method with exercise included means you are really keeping as active as you accounted for in the rough 5 level TDEE table.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Since as a woman, your BMR literally changes through the month, you can't do anything less than 4 weeks to decide if working or not.

And TDEE method with exercise included means you are really keeping as active as you accounted for in the rough 5 level TDEE table.

Our BMR changes? Not just our water weight

How so?
  • Nony_Mouse
    edited May 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

How so?

Oooh, I just found this!! PMS pizza = justified! :p

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/44/5/614.full.pdf?origin=publication_detail

(have only skimmed the abstract, and haven't yet looked for anything that supports or counters it)

Helps if you include the link, eh?
  • doolalytap
    Options
    I just run with the club and work out with a pt and cycle so at least 5 hours a week. I've checked on a few calculators and I'm within my quota easily. Thanks for answers.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

How so?

Changes in muscle mass. Changes in fat around organs. Changes in temperature of the environment. Amount of oxygen in the air. Injury. There are plenty of things that can effect BMR, but most are not of enough significance to worry about.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options

How so?

Changes in muscle mass. Changes in fat around organs. Changes in temperature of the environment. Amount of oxygen in the air. Injury. There are plenty of things that can effect BMR, but most are not of enough significance to worry about.

A woman's muscle mass and the amount of fat around organs, etc, do not change based on her monthly cycle though. Water retention and hormones do.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »

How so?

A woman's muscle mass and the amount of fat around organs, etc, do not change based on her monthly cycle though. Water retention and hormones do.

Actually, they probably do, but the changes are so insignificant that no one would notice.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

How so?

Oooh, I just found this!! PMS pizza = justified! :p

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/44/5/614.full.pdf?origin=publication_detail

(have only skimmed the abstract, and haven't yet looked for anything that supports or counters it)

Helps if you include the link, eh?

Exactly - and when you read over intro's to a lot of other weight loss studies, you'll find reference to acknowledging that fact and accounting for it in the numbers, either by having a multiple of 4 weeks in the total time or similar.

Once you know that tidbit, it's interesting to see how many times it's mentioned in the study setup.

And some of it is related to water weight, but water weight maintained in cells actually requires more energy to manage it - so increased BMR.

Unlike some retained water is just flat out more water, and not much increase to metabolism related to it.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    In that study n=10 ..it's hardly robust...but it was interesting that 8, all of different ages and compositions had a marginal increase...hmm
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    ibnfaqir wrote: »
    I would give it another week and then go back to the drawing boards.

Not sure if serious. If serious....uh no.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    In that study n=10 ..it's hardly robust...but it was interesting that 8, all of different ages and compositions had a marginal increase...hmm

Yeah, none of the studies I found seem to have large sample sizes. Plus I'm betting that is taken into account on calculations of women's BMR anyway. I feel a couple of little N=1 experiments coming on though:

1) be angelic about sticking to my cals for four weeks (ha! sure), see if there is any difference in rate of loss;

2) increase cals on PMS week, see what happens (funnily, I was thinking of doing this exact thing anyway, but assumed I'd just have a smaller loss that week).

Interestingly, I did lose more than anticipated following my most recent PMS week. I wiped out most of my deficit with pizza (and deep fried camembert, and corn nuggets), based purely on math my predicted loss should have been around 200g. Lost 700g. Not a catch up whoosh cos I'd lost 500g the previous two weeks as well. But yes, I realise it could have been any number of things, just musing :).
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Yeah, none of the studies I found seem to have large sample sizes. Plus I'm betting that is taken into account on calculations of women's BMR anyway. I feel a couple of little N=1 experiments coming on though:

1) be angelic about sticking to my cals for four weeks (ha! sure), see if there is any difference in rate of loss;

2) increase cals on PMS week, see what happens (funnily, I was thinking of doing this exact thing anyway, but assumed I'd just have a smaller loss that week).

Interestingly, I did lose more than anticipated following my most recent PMS week. I wiped out most of my deficit with pizza (and deep fried camembert, and corn nuggets), based purely on math my predicted loss should have been around 200g. Lost 700g. Not a catch up whoosh cos I'd lost 500g the previous two weeks as well. But yes, I realise it could have been any number of things, just musing :).

How would you measure it though? Direct weight loss wouldn't help due to water masking

I have months of fluctuation data in trendweight.com ...when losing I would generally go static for a week or two then drop

But more importantly

Mmmm Camembert *drools*
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

How would you measure it though? Direct weight loss wouldn't help due to water masking

I have months of fluctuation data in trendweight.com ...when losing I would generally go static for a week or two then drop

But more importantly

Mmmm Camembert *drools*

Yeah, therein lies the problem!! That pesky 'weight loss isn't linear' thing :\.

I really wish I'd tracked my daily weight now, 'twould be interesting to see!
  • doolalytap
    Options
    I felt way less bloated and slimmer today so I got weighed and lost a pound! Not linear
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    doolalytap wrote: »
    i know this isn't a full on science but I lost 1lb last week with tdee method this week, this week increased a little, I've counted. Should I be tweaking numbers or waiting it out at this current amount?
    That sounds like natural fluctuation. Goal weight is a range not a set number.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v31/n12/full/0803699a.html

Read the RMR section:
    A number of studies have indicated that daily energy expenditure (EE) changes with phases of the menstrual cycle. Premenstrual increases in sleeping metabolic rate (SMR),79, 80 basal metabolic rate (BMR)81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 and 24-h EE79, 87, 88 have been reported. However, the increments in EE in the luteal phase vary from one study to another. The mean difference in SMR between the follicular and luteal phase has been reported to be 6.1–7.7%,54, 80 while mean increases in 24-h EE of 2.5–11.5% have been shown.54, 88 The luteal increase in 24-h EE corresponds to an increase of 89–279 kcal.

Nevertheless, EE tends to vary substantially and mean interindividual variation (CV) in BMR has been estimated to 8–11.8%.89, 90 More interestingly, the daily intraindividual variation is wide ranging (1.7–10.4%, mean: 4.6%).89, 91