Anyone else at Fitness First?

Options
I just joined today, and i think it looks reasonably good there. Aircon is good, Changerooms are good, machines are all clean and working fine, the music isnt too loudly playing and there is a great variety of food/shakes/bars and drinks available to buy.

I will be working out 3 or 4 times a week for 90 mins every time. Does this seem like a good plan and what are your oppinions about it.

Replies

• 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Sounds great - I used to be a member but found I was only really using the treadmill so bought my own.
    I agree it was always clean and in good order but the music at Castle Hill was pretty loud - but then I'm pretty old!! lol
    I used to go at 6am so maybe that was why it was clean??
    They tried to get me to do personal training but at $70 per 1/2 hour no way!!!
    All the very best
  • Solat37_Neil
    Solat37_Neil Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm a member and I love the place, really clean and well looked after, nice changing rooms, sauna, steam rooms etc
    It would be nice to have a swimming pool, but hey ho lol
  • 6heatherb6
    Options
    ps Carlingford has a pool but resricted usage.
    By the way - don't get ripped off!!! I had $40 joining and paid weekly $20 cash I DIDN'T give out my bank details. I did sign a contract but they were really good when I finished up. I paid LESS than my 20year old son so either take your mum or do your own Bargining!!!
    Good luck!
  • chloemeow
    chloemeow Posts: 71
    Options
    ps Carlingford has a pool but resricted usage.
    By the way - don't get ripped off!!! I had $40 joining and paid weekly $20 cash I DIDN'T give out my bank details. I did sign a contract but they were really good when I finished up. I paid LESS than my 20year old son so either take your mum or do your own Bargining!!!
    Good luck!

$20 weekly?

i pay $26 a fortnight and $60 joining fee (if i goto the gym once a week for the first 12 weeks, i get the $60 back), and got 3 free 40 minute personal training sessions.

and my mum pays $35 a fortnight and she did $0 joining fee :) im quite happy with the deal we got.
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    I'm at Fitness First ... and working out with a personal trainer too :-)

I know it's quite expensive, but I think being 40 and mum of 3 adult kids is a good reason to start being selfish and look after myself now :-).
    I didn't want to join, didn't know if I would actually use if often enough for that money. I got a 3months-membership as a christmas gift, so I could just try it out "for free". I liked it.. I loved it :-) That gift encluded 3 x 1/2hour personal training to get started and I liked that guy so much that I continued personal training. I've got an arrangement of one hour of training every 2 weeks and programs to do on my own between 2 sessions, sent to me by email. I don't pay more than €70 per 2 weeks for personal training, but I still have to pay for the membership.

They could work on arrangements for students being abroad for several months, thus not being able to use the gym for that time :-/

MM
  • captainfez
    captainfez Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I go to the Chatswood one a couple of times a week. It's not bad. One of the older ones, and they've only just started updating some of the equipment - but it seems to be progressing OK.

The worst part about FF (I also go to the Newtown one, which is much newer) is that they do attract a bunch of posers. There's always a contingent that want to sit on machines and benches rather than use them, or chat to their mates. I've also found some of the PT guys to be just like that - more interested in texting and looking cool than in assisting people. But hey, after my first three freebie sessions, I haven't hired any of them so it doesn't matter so much.

FF is pretty good inasmuch as they're convenient. If I had a cheaper, better gym closer to where I work I'd probably go with it, but I get a decent rate discount 'cos my dad is also a member, so I'll stick with it for now.
  • captainfez
    Options
    They could work on arrangements for students being abroad for several months, thus not being able to use the gym for that time :-

Have you talked to them about suspending membership? You can do that (or should still be able to). They basically freeze your access. I think you still are charged an amount, but it's a smaller amount than usual. Call and ask 'em, and if the club receptionist won't help, try head office - I know people who've done it.
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    Have you talked to them about suspending membership? You can do that (or should still be able to). They basically freeze your access. I think you still are charged an amount, but it's a smaller amount than usual. Call and ask 'em, and if the club receptionist won't help, try head office - I know people who've done it.

I had quite a long discussion with the manager, after the receptionist had an offer for my daughter which was actually more expensive than my membership :-O We made an arrangement which is ok. She pays for 4 months for the rest of the year, with suspension etc. But students' arrangements are usually only for 6 months in a row, and my daughter is home like 1 or 2 months. It wasn't an easy discussion ;-)
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    The worst part about FF (I also go to the Newtown one, which is much newer) is that they do attract a bunch of posers.

Surely you get those wherever you go??

I like it at FF. Have been there for years. It's not a snobbish club which I like. I had a trial membership at David Lloyds once... How awful... The place is full of extremely tanned (i.e. overbaked!!) women with fake hair extentions and ridiculous plastic fingernails.
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I am a reluctant member of fitness first in the UK. I used to be with Virgin Active who were AMAZING!! So clean, friendly and a POOL! My only complaint was it was too expensive for me to continue going whilst on maternity leave so I joined Fitness First in Finchley (North London). Whilst it is a bargain I think it is a complete sh*thole! The equipment is held together with sellotape, the aircon hasnt been working since February and there is always a whole load of machines that are not working.

Having said that, years ago I was a member of Fitness First in Holborn (Central London) and it was pretty decent and much cleaner than my current one.
  • 6heatherb6
    Options
    yes..I got the free PT but then he wanted to charge heaps...looks like you got a great deal but who know??
    All the very best..maybe I paid $20/fornight???no think it was weekly...oh well!!
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I used to be a member of Fitness First in the City (London).... it was good when I could go during my lunch break.

But the whole of 2010 I didn't use my membership at all (no motivation!)... so I cancelled it in December.

Now I exercise at home (No More Trouble Zones, Turbo Jam, ChaLean Extreme ) & have achieved better results than I ever did when I was a member of FF.
  • captainfez
    Options
    Surely you get those wherever you go??

I've done a couple of sessions at other gyms - more local ones, not chain ones - and the wanker level was much lower. But then the pick-up scene there was also nonexistent, so that probably explains the lack of preening!
  • nursekj
    nursekj Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I used to go to FF St Leonards Sydney, it was a great gym, I lost so much weight there. Used to run there from waverton, do my workout then jump in pool for 20 mins cooldown. Miss it!
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I've been a member of FF streatham for quite a while now and love it. I joined when it first opened and hated it and quit, filled with uninterested staff and snobby members. Rejoined and the staff had changed and its great I love it!! Everyone is friendly and the staff great. I've got a great PT there for £30 an hour...she's awesome!