How does callanetics compare to pilates?

Options
tomatoey
tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Is it safe for (bad) knees according to contemporary exercise science, or are there crazy 80s angles in there?

Replies

• tomatoey
    Options
    No callanetics fans? There are a lot of positive reviews on Amazon, but I never trust Amazon workout DVD reviews, lot of talk about toning and lengthening. I just want to strengthen stabilizers in a safe way.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    No crazy 80s angles, but some awesome leotards and perms. It's comparable to pilates, probably a little more challenging because of the very high # of reps (pulses). I only do it once or twice a month on my designated rest/stretching day so can't testify to results. I wrote the workout down after watching it a couple times and just do it while watching regular TV rather than following the DVD.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Haha :) Interesting, ok, I like the sound of it! Glad to hear it's not wacky, there were some funny ideas about things back then. Thanks for the review :) I think I'll pick it up and see what happens!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I used to do it every day in the early 90s and it helped me get stronger and more fit. I felt terrific!

Good to see it's still around!

I've been doing the exercise to cure Bingo arms sometimes lately, but I might have to dust off my Callanetics book, and get stuck into it, since I need to do regular weights work but don't fancy actual weights (too much strain on joints).
  • weavingtheweb
    weavingtheweb Posts: 135 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Check out Al Kavadlo http://www.alkavadlo.com/ Also his channel on YouTube, loads of exercises there

Oops misread, my brain saw calisthenics, oh well...