10 pounds of strawberries... recipes?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
We went strawberry picking this morning and, well, we might have overdone it slightly.

We're making a trifle for a potluck tomorrow, but will probably be left with 8 pounds or something... So, um, any recipe recommendations?

Replies

• hotnumber
    hotnumber Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Jam... Or freeze some to use in smoothies
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Where, exactly do u live? Ha ha kidding!
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I washed and froze some last year. They tasted good mixed in yogurt too. I love strawberries.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Strawberry shortcake!
    You can also wash, hull and freeze them on cookie sheets and then put in ziploc bags.
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    Strawberry & Rhubarb pie/anything. Lovely combo and my rhubarb is perfect right about now, so send some over to me!
  • Francl27
    Options
    I'd love to find some rhubarb! Trade you some LOL.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Dang rhubarb shortage. Went picking today as well, but no rhubarb to be found :neutral: Put some strawberries in salad, yogurt parfait, you can even add them to a tomato sauce.
  • soysaucekitty
    soysaucekitty Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try strawberries, shredded basil, balsamic vinegar, drizzle of olive oil, lots of cracked black pepper and a sprinkle of feta or goat cheese. Delicious, nutritious, healthy and a great spring/summer dish
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I would make freezer jam. It's so easy - just follow the directions on the sure-jell package (I use the liquid).

I've also bought an angel food cake to use up fresh strawberries... lower calorie than shortcake.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I'd freeze them
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    miriamtob wrote: »
    Dang rhubarb shortage. Went picking today as well, but no rhubarb to be found :neutral: Put some strawberries in salad, yogurt parfait, you can even add them to a tomato sauce.
    Plant some! It's the easiest thing in the world to grow and one of the first things that comes up in the spring.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    http://www.jillianskitchen.com/2012/06/04/strawberry-banana-baked-oatmeal/
    Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal: 12-18 Servings

4 Eggs
    3C Milk – I use FF or 1%
    4-5 Over ripe Bananas – Mashed/Blended (should come up to 2.25C once mashed approx.)
    3C Chopped Strawberries
    1/3-1/2C Brown Sugar
    6C Uncooked Old Fashioned Oats
    1.5tsp Baking Powder
    1tsp Salt
    1tsp Vanilla Extract
    1tsp Cinnamon

Mix the eggs and milk together then add all remaining ingredients. Let it sit for 5 minutes so the oats can absorb some of the liquid then pour into a greased 13×9 pan and cover with foil, bake at 350° for 30 minutes then uncover and bake an additional 30-40 minutes until the top of the oatmeal is evenly cooked. Remove from the oven and let it cool on the counter, then slice into 12-18 slices, and refrigerate until you are ready to eat.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Dehydrated them, purée and freeze them, make them into jam or syrup.
  • Francl27
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    http://www.jillianskitchen.com/2012/06/04/strawberry-banana-baked-oatmeal/
    Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal: 12-18 Servings

4 Eggs
    3C Milk – I use FF or 1%
    4-5 Over ripe Bananas – Mashed/Blended (should come up to 2.25C once mashed approx.)
    3C Chopped Strawberries
    1/3-1/2C Brown Sugar
    6C Uncooked Old Fashioned Oats
    1.5tsp Baking Powder
    1tsp Salt
    1tsp Vanilla Extract
    1tsp Cinnamon

Mix the eggs and milk together then add all remaining ingredients. Let it sit for 5 minutes so the oats can absorb some of the liquid then pour into a greased 13×9 pan and cover with foil, bake at 350° for 30 minutes then uncover and bake an additional 30-40 minutes until the top of the oatmeal is evenly cooked. Remove from the oven and let it cool on the counter, then slice into 12-18 slices, and refrigerate until you are ready to eat.

Thanks for the recipe! I don't have bananas though and I'm not overly fond of them. Not sure how long these strawberries will last either.

And the truth is that they are so delicious I feel kinda bad if I have to make them into jam, but I might look into that if we still have too much in a day or so.
  • Luvlyrose
    Luvlyrose Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    STRAWBERRY LEMONADE!!!!
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Last year i made freezer jam. No canning skills required. Lots of recipes out there if you google it, just requires an investment in jars and some pectin. Enjoyed it all year long and gave some away as gifts! FYI i just bought some rhubarb at my local farmers market, it was lovely
  • Francl27
    Options
    But sadly I have no room in my freezer, lol! Well, two pints are gone and we haven't even started the trifle yet.

• faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    - Strawberry ice cream/sorbet
    - Frozen stuffed strawberries with yoghurt (they are delicious!)
    - Strawberry crumble
    - Strawberry shortcake
    - Strawberries and cream
    - Strawberries, clotted cream and scones
    - Strawberry and dark chocolate toasted sandwich/jaffle
    - Strawberries dipped in dark chocolate
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    miriamtob wrote: »
    Plant some! It's the easiest thing in the world to grow and one of the first things that comes up in the spring.

Thank you! I should! It is an attractive plant as well :smile:
  • BeginnersBootcamp
    BeginnersBootcamp Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Freeze dry / dehydrate!!