Back pain, ruining a nice day...

Options
MK24551
MK24551 Posts: 174 Member
My fiancé and I wanted to go on a hike today at a place near us called Crabtree Falls. I planned on getting up early so I can workout, then we would go to church, breakfast, grab the dogs n head out to the falls. WELL I wake up n feel a kink in my lower back (I have a history of lower back pain) I am sooooo mad,
1. I can't work out (afraid to work out, I hurt my back so bad about a year ago n was out of work for a whole month, so u can understand my fear) every day I don't work out is a set back
2. This completely ruins our nice day planned. :(
3. I'm just sooooo mad, yesterday I was thinking to myself, "hmmmm my back hasn't been hurting lately, maybe I'm getting stronger!" YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!! what r the chances!? Uggggg

Thanks for letting me vent! I hope everyone enjoys their Holiday Weekend!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Back pain sucks! It definitely makes you hesitant to work out.... I have had an achey lower back from doing lots of slow squats and deads last week (so much so that I couldn't bend over to do rows the day after!)

I've been rolling, been to the chiro, and massaged voltaren gel in to it a bit. That was helped - I've altered my workouts to suit as well
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Core exercises, girl! You are too young to be worried about significant back injuries. If you haven't seen a physio or athletic therapist, you definitely should! Get some exercises to help strengthen your core and any specific muscles you seem to pull or have issues with, etc and make sure there isn't a larger problem brewing.

Sorry about your ruined day :( Maybe you'll be able to do it next week.
  • Luvlyrose
    Luvlyrose Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Theres a place here called the joint its a chiropractor that charges 20 bucks a visit ...they are licensed and awesome....i think theres one in NC.... dont know how far that is from you....
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    What kind of back injury? A strain? Slipped disk? You really should be strengthening the muscles around your spine. Start doing back extensions and planks. If you don't have a gym membership or access to a Roman Chair, you can use the sofa arm and have someone sit on the sofa and hold your feet. And it never hurts to hang over the edge of the sofa arm and relax your spine.

If you've injured your back, stay away from chiropractors. They can do more harm than good. Get a massage or see an orthopedist.
  • MK24551
    MK24551 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have been to an Orthopedic and they didn't see anything wrong with my back when I got an X-ray. (But the pain still continues) I do know that I don't have a very good core and have been working on that with exercise. I fell several years ago and ever since then I have had these issues. I went to a chiropractor before and they made the pain so much worse so never again. I will continue to focus on strengthening the muscles around my spine for now:)