Only 1hour available for workout!!!

Options
Help!!!!!

I only have have an hour to workout, due to family. I'm following a diet from a friend who has a MS in exercise physiology.

I do 20 minutes of cardio and 40 to 50 minutes of strength training. Does anyone have a good strength training workout for 40-50 minutes?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Why cant you just wake up 30-60 minutes earlier?

Most strength programs are 45-60 minutes. Try stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength.
  • MK24551
    MK24551 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    If u r short on time try Jillian Michaels 40 Day Shred
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I would ask my friend who has a MS in exercise physiology, just saying.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Stairmaster will work you hard
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Do you have an hour each day? If so, try doing each every other day. So cardio on days 1, 3, &5 and weights on days 2, 4, &6.

A few full body strength programs: Strong Curves, Stronglifts 5x5, You Are Your Own Gym .
  • bttompkins
    bttompkins Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    An hour is plenty. I only really get my lunch breaks, in that time, i can go out and run between 5-10km, or walk to the pool and put in a km. Strong lifts 5x5 can be easily done in 30 minutes. Insanity is usually between 25-45 minutes. You'll be surprised what you can get done in an hour.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    csman49 wrote: »
    An hour is plenty.

I agree... I'm not sure what's useful that you couldn't get done in an hour. Unless you plan on dawdling around or something. Five sets of dawdles, followed by procrastination sprints or something.
  • mls100771
    mls100771 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    csman49 wrote: »
    An hour is plenty.

I agree... I'm not sure what's useful that you couldn't get done in an hour. Unless you plan on dawdling around or something. Five sets of dawdles, followed by procrastination sprints or something.

If you coach me on dawdles and procrastination sprints, I will show you the proper form for doing sit-downs, and rest-ups!

• mls100771
    mls100771 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would stick to heavy multi-joint exercises. Squats, Dead-lifts, Barbell Rows, Overhead presses, Bench Presses.... These are all going to hit multiple muscles as opposed to isolation type exercises.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    My workouts only last about 45 minutes. As suggested Compound movements will incorporate several different muscles working together to give a full body workout. Up the intensity and reduce rest times in between sets. Just an idea.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    There are so many things that can be done in just 60 minutes. If going to a gym is not possible then some of the weight programs mentioned may not be an option. If that is the case that may limit you to body weight exercises. There are more calisthenic exercise than I can name here that will build overall body strength and conditioning. Check out more about then here calisthenicexercise.com/.

If you want to invest in some equipment that does not take up a lot of space and provides 3 levels of intensity and just as many exercises as calisthenics you can up check out a TRX Suspension Trainer here https://trxtraining.com/.

Both are proven methods to increase strength and cardio fitness without the need for going to a gym. Though I have been to a few gyms that offered TRX classes. There may be a gym that still offers a calisthenic class, I haven't found one in over a couple of decades now.

Good Luck!
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Agree with what others have said. An hour is plenty of time. Drop the cardio sometimes if not most of the time and add some compound weights circuits in. Boom done.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Focus T25 - Sean T of "Insanity" does 25 min HIIT workouts. :smiley: Excellent strength training, using your own bodyweight for the most part (burpees, push ups, pike ups)

I started doing it about a year ago and it is brilliant. Don't have to bother going to a gym, either! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWW-eciqKNE
  • rachael00679
    rachael00679 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Try looking up fitness blender. They have tonnes of exercise videos that target a specific area or total body workouts of differing time durations. You can pick one, or pick a few and mix it up depending on what you feel like.

https://www.fitnessblender.com/