Need help through a rough time

Options
My great grandmother is in her final stages of congestive heart failure and doesn't have much longer, but I am unable to go visit her before she passes which has been rough on me this past week. I haven't been eating much, and what I do eat is junk, so I'm just trying to get back on track again. Also I wouldn't mind some at home exercise tips, I've been doing little things to distract myself, but I'm starting to get bored with them.

Replies

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I love going for a wander with my dog, I feel it takes my mind off everything! Going for a moderately long walk with earphones/headphones in and some relaxing music like chillstep on may help!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry, I lost my grandma last year and was on the other side of the globe. Is there anyone who can see her and can take an iPad or laptop with Skype or facetime? That was how I was able to see my grandma.
  • FreyaIsAFreak
    FreyaIsAFreak Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds horrific, but I find dance exercise videos on YouTube really useful. I tell myself I'm doing it ironically but in reality I really enjoy it. I also find I can't put as much effort in when I'm outside in public because I'll look like a sweaty mess afterwards, so doing excersize in my own home is great for me. I'm sorry about your grandmother x
  • MK24551
    MK24551 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry your going through such a tough time. Have u tried Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred? You can get it on you tube. They r 27 min workouts n she kicks ur butt!
  • leacunningham
    leacunningham Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your tough time. If you're not feeling up to much, which is understandable, a walk in the countryside is a great tonic, or there are lots of good yoga videos on you tube, you always feel better after a bit of basic yoga :) Be kind to yourself, if you're finding it hard to stick to healthy eating, don't beat yourself up, grief is a harrowing feeling. You may just need some time .
  • bwp180
    bwp180 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I went through something so similar. It's so hard - and eventually I realized that I didn't want to 'blame' my weight gain on the person who was very sick and then passed away - it wasn't a memory I wanted associated with this particular person. So not fair to them and not being truthful to myself. Instead think of what they would want for you- a long healthy life and go exercise and eat well in honor of them. A great grandmother would want you to live long, healthy and happy. In my case it was a child - but I know she would want me to live long and be happy with my kids. I think of her all the time and want to do everything she never got to do. Make your great grandmom an inspiration. <3
  • bwp180
    bwp180 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    And I should add that it took a lot of time for me to get there. ^ so don't beat yourself up. Nothing worse than losing a loved one.
  • bstanb01
    bstanb01 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Surprisingly I'm not gaining much. I've been doing a lot of little exercises here and there to keep myself distracted. And thankfully I've gotten junk fooded out. I was at something the other day where they had cupcakes and cookies, but I went for the carrots and grapes all night instead. And I've thought about calling or Skyping, but she doesn't understand technology. When I've lived closer, we've been outside her apartment calling her to get her to come down and open the door, and it took her twenty minutes to answer the phone without hanging up and understand what we were saying. My family is still there, so they're all with her. My aunt has been sending me photos and videos and my dad has been calling me everyday to update me. It's tough, but I'm trying not to let it get too negative for me.