Not getting anywhere!

Options
I am currently 5ft3 and 192lb but have been working out for 2 and a half hours a day and have been keeping my calorie count at around 600 for two weeks but nothing is happening! Any tips on how I could kick start my body and start losing weight?

Replies

• My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Where do I start with how wrong everything is?

Can you consistently workout over 2 hours everyday for the rest of your life, or eat less than 600 calories a day?

If the answer isn't obvious what you need to change now, than you're going to be stuck in this oversized boat.
  • cathiggs
    cathiggs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    OMG really?

If you eat less then 1200 cal then your body goes into starvation mode and instead of losing fat/weight your body holds onto it! you need to eating roughly between 1400-1800 cal a day depending on what type of workouts you are doing! I am guessing you are only doing cardio i would recommend doing some weight training along side the cardio! and by doing weight training you will need slightly higher intake.
    To begin with you will need to start looking at your relationship with unhealthy food and try cutting out sugar trans-fats and processed food and make sure you are eating plenty of protein,fruit and veg and good fats such as olive oil and making sure you have enough carbs to help you through those very long training sessions you are doing

and tbh it will be very hard for you to maintain doing 2 1/2 hours of exercise a day!

I would recommend you get some professional help such as a personal trainer (chose wisely though and make sure they are qualified) or maybe a dietitian! also maybe have a word with your GP who can point you in the right the direction!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    cathiggs wrote: »
    OMG really?

If you eat less then 1200 cal then your body goes into starvation mode and instead of losing fat/weight your body holds onto it! you need to eating roughly between 1400-1800 cal a day depending on what type of workouts you are doing! I am guessing you are only doing cardio i would recommend doing some weight training along side the cardio! and by doing weight training you will need slightly higher intake.
    To begin with you will need to start looking at your relationship with unhealthy food and try cutting out sugar trans-fats and processed food and make sure you are eating plenty of protein,fruit and veg and good fats such as olive oil and making sure you have enough carbs to help you through those very long training sessions you are doing

and tbh it will be very hard for you to maintain doing 2 1/2 hours of exercise a day!

I would recommend you get some professional help such as a personal trainer (chose wisely though and make sure they are qualified) or maybe a dietitian! also maybe have a word with your GP who can point you in the right the direction!

No, it doesn't go into starvation mode. She also doesn't have to cut things out of her diet unless she either wants to or has to for medical reasons.

OP, you really need to be eating more before you take your body down a dangerous path. That little food with that much exercise is entering into ED territory.
  • Nicshtik
    Nicshtik Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    No, no no!
    First - there is no such thing as starvation mode.
    Second - There is no way to eat only 600 calories per day in a healthy manner to achieve any sort of health benefit (including weight loss) without a doctor's specific order and constant supervision.
    Third - Why on earth would you work your body SOOOOO much without fueling it properly. You are begging for a massive injury since your body doesn't have the fuel (and I am betting nutrients) it needs to function properly.

If you are worried enough about your weight to try something this drastic and dangerous, please see your doctor and come up with a healthier and more sustainable plan that will leave you feeling accomplished.
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    No. No. No and No. I'm not sure what else to say.

If you are eating 600 cals a day and probably burning that much or more in the 2+ hours you say you exercise.... what exactly is fueling your body????

You are entering eating disorder territory here. I would suggest seeking professional help on healthy weight loss
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Problems here are probably a) you're not working out for 2 and a half hours a day and b) you're not eating 600 calories or less.

Honestly, assess the above two claims on your own and fix them.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I dont believe someone at 600 cals and working out 2.5hrs daily would not lose weight, especially with 65 to lose.

Id agree with dawnie I doubt you are working out properly for 2.5hrs a day.

OP you are being very foolish, learn how to lose weight in a safe sustainable way.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    If you eat only 600 calories a day you won't have enough energy for anything, let alone an intense workout. 2 hours is a long time anyway to sustain an intense workout.

For your height and weight I'd imagine something like 1700 calories per day would be a good amount to lose weight. You don't need to exercise for ages, just an hour or so, but make it a good workout. Plus keep active, go for walks and things.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but that's a dumb idea, set to fail miserably.

With your stats, you could easily be eating 2,000 calories per day and still losing weight, but - here's the thing - it AIN'T going to come off in 2 weeks. You didn't gain all that weight in 2 weeks and it's going to take longer than that to come off.

Weight loss is a long-term thing. It's not a race.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Just eat 500 cals a day below your TDEE. (please go and calculate your TDEE properly now).
    Exercise for your health (2.5 hours a day is far to excessive. I'm in the gym for 45 mins) and to give you a few extra calories to eat back. Do whatever exercise you most enjoy.
    Your current diet/exercise programme is to restrictive, unsustainable and doomed to fail.
  • lydiakitten
    lydiakitten Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    From my personal experience, the issue in such posts is usually not being honest/strict enough with yourself.

You fry some stuff in a ton of olive oil that gets mostly soaked into the food, but you only add the thing itself, not the oil (which is over 100 calories per tablespoon, damnit). Or you eat canned fruit in syrup, but add it as "diced peach" or something, entirely forgetting about the caloric intake from the preservation method. You follow some 45 minute workout from Fitnessblender that claims to burn ~250 calories, but your knees are bended as heck during one exercise, and your abs are not contracted (belly push downwards into the ground) during those toe taps, and your water break is three times what they normally give you, and you instead of twenty push ups you do twelve because your arms hurt, and so on.

(These are just examples, but you know what I mean. We all say "meh, that's almost the same anyway" every now and then, and get very lenient with ourselves, but if you do it too often, you only end up self-sabotaging, and having a completely skewed perception of what you are really doing.)

Advice: set realistic, rational goals. An intake of 600 calories is morose and clinically absurd. Go for 1500 or something, but be strict and organized about it: weigh food, add every little bit of seasoning or whatever, plan ahead. Work out less, but do high-intensity, painful, proper training: weight lifting that pushed your muscles to the limit, calisthenics with some form of added resistance, HIIT without going easy on the active rest or letting your form go mellow.

You can do this.