Confidence...a new thing for me

Options
epixstudiosnh
epixstudiosnh Posts: 72 Member
edited May 2015 in Success Stories
I have always been heavy my entire life. This has severely killed any shred of confidence that I may have had. I have never been one to have a good amount of self-esteem and have always been afraid to try things that I want to try because I am afraid that people will laugh at me or judge me. After losing 17 pounds over the last month I realize that I can do things that I want to do and I don't have to listen to what anybody else says. I know that it is not an extreme amount of weight but for me it is huge because I have tried for so long to lose even 5 pounds and it is never worked. I actually feel confident even though there isn't that big of a difference just yet.

Tonight I took myself out of my comfort zone and had confidence in myself. I sang the national anthem at an AHL (level of professional hockey below NHL) playoff game. It was scary, it was nerve racking, and it was extremely exciting. I felt proud when I stepped off of the ice after I sing because this is not something that I would ever do in front of so many people. I do karaoke every week but it is usually for a very small crowd not an entire arena full of people.

I think that being able to take control of my diet and finally drop some of the weight and drop some inches off of my body is going to be a huge step in gaining some self confidence for the first time in my life. Who knows, I may even try out for The Voice someday! Not something I am ready for at the moment though :-)

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    17 pounds in one month is not an extreme amount of weight? You need to work harder on the self esteem and on being proud of your accomplishments ;)
  • RedArmy1918
    RedArmy1918 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! I totally know what you mean about the newfound confidence once you take control of your life and your diet. Maybe I won't be singing in front of an arena, but I just might sing karaoke when I drop 17 pounds ;-)
  • Littlepeeper
    Littlepeeper Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! What a great accomplishment and memory. Keep it up!
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Keep up the awesome! Confidence helps make this whole process so much easier!
  • schillewis
    schillewis Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    The best piece of advice I read was to "start living like the person you want to be and let the rest fall into place". I wanted to be more active, so I became more active. I always felt like I needed to wait until I lost the weight before I started living like a healthy person. Instead I've become healthier by living like a healthy person NOW. Congrats on living for the NOW :)
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    And your confidence will increase as you get closer to your goal! I'm finally able to look in the mirror and say, "Dam, I look good!"
  • epixstudiosnh
    epixstudiosnh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    kjurassic wrote: »
    And your confidence will increase as you get closer to your goal! I'm finally able to look in the mirror and say, "Dam, I look good!"

That would be nice. I have never done that
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Very well done lass! :-)
  • erojoy
    erojoy Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Girl never let your weight hold you back. If you have talent that won't matter. I hope you reach your dreams!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!