I usually give up

Options
hey there! My problem is usually that after a few weeks or days into a healthy pattern, something happens and I regress into my old habits. Whether it's me getting sick, getting super depressed or maybe even I get so busy with work and school I don't have the time to sleep AND get a good meal and/or workout in for days. Usually the last one (no time) is my problem and I fall into the fast food hole.

Replies

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Unfortunately no-one can help you but yourself. You have to prioritize things, and if you can't find time to cook, workout or the sort you have to make time. People get up at 3am just to fit in training sessions into their day. One of my favourite bodybuilders used to have an alarms set throughout the night so he could get up and eat (seems ridiculous but that's what he felt he had to do)

I know it's hard but you have two choices in bad situations. I've been there and comfort eaten but I've also been there and not let myself slip and I can tell you comfort eating not only makes me feel worse in the long term but gives me another reason to feel bad.

Your choices:

1. You can sit and feel sorry for yourself, comfort eat and the sort and fail.
    2. You can accept that it's happening and not let it get the better of you.

Sorry if it sounded harsh but I see no reason to cherry top things. It doesn't get anybody anywhere.

One thing I've found to help me mentally is every time I want something that doesn't fit my calories/macronutrients I tell myself it's not worth it in the long run. Food gives me seconds of pleasure. Then it's over. No matter what I've never found happiness from cheating as I'm only cheating myself. I do have a cheat day planned but that's in September IF I reach my goals. But losing weight doesn't need to be boring or even difficult. Just eat a varied diet (yes, you can eat junk food but I find keeping it to a minimum means I'm fuller for longer)

Good luck to the future, hoping you manage to succeed this time :)
  • kimberly40
    kimberly40 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have had the same issues. I can stay on longer than a week, but things slip in and change my attitude. I just picked up the book Skinny Rules by Bob Harper. Im giving it a shot. I'm going to try it for a month, and use My Fitness Pal in conjunction. I need encouragement, so I want to give you some. You are not alone. Life is too short for us to wait! Let's get in the best shape of our lives!
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    kimberly40 wrote: »
    I have had the same issues. I can stay on longer than a week, but things slip in and change my attitude. I just picked up the book Skinny Rules by Bob Harper. Im giving it a shot. I'm going to try it for a month, and use My Fitness Pal in conjunction. I need encouragement, so I want to give you some. You are not alone. Life is too short for us to wait! Let's get in the best shape of our lives!

Keep in mind those are an arbitrary, unnecessary list of rules that may or may not help you lose weight.

You have to create a deficit for weight loss to occur and yes, these rules may create it, but unless you plan to implement this structure into your life for good. You're better off finding an eating method that is sustainable for you.

Willpower is what's needed to succeed. Above all else. Your mind will cave far before your body.

Remember to take weight loss at a sustainable pace, forgive yourself of mistakes, and push forward. Eating mostly nutrient dense foods will help you feel satiated better but you can still include fun things as well.

:)
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Lower your expectations, try a slower rate of loss if you can. Don't go balls out, make little changes.
    To me it sounds like you lack a plan. It may be a little boring, but set yourself up for the same things for lots of meals. Plan a day to cook and prep. Go shopping. Cook a weeks worth of a vegetable chili, or something you like. I have the same things for breakfast and lunch OVER and OVER. It takes the thought process out of it. Then I can play around with dinners for "creativeness"!
    You don't need to work out. Focus on food for now.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    A commitment means you go till the end. You have a desire, but you're not committed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    eospassion wrote: »
    hey there! My problem is usually that after a few weeks or days into a healthy pattern, something happens and I regress into my old habits. Whether it's me getting sick, getting super depressed or maybe even I get so busy with work and school I don't have the time to sleep AND get a good meal and/or workout in for days. Usually the last one (no time) is my problem and I fall into the fast food hole.
    I feel for you. I have had good patterns established for months/years at a time and then gotten sidelined by illness and/or depression. Sounds like you have an extra challenge with a busy schedule. But here's a couple of lessons I'm learning this time around. One is, if my calorie goal is too low, it's asking for failure. We all want to see fast progress, but if it's not sustainable, there's no point. Sure, I'm losing weight more slowly, but I feel almost guilty about how much I'm allowed to eat compared to others. I would say if your life gets unusually crazy, you may even want to shift to a maintenance goal for a while. The other thing has been tapping into how good a simple 20 minute workout can make me feel. Not viewing it as an obligation, but something that makes me feel better and better able to cope with the other stuff. That being said, I keep my workouts convenient- no drives to a gym or anything- hopping on my stationary bike with some loud music, just stepping outside and going for a walk.
    One more practical tip. Even if you're busy & can't eat at home doesn't mean you HAVE to make the bad choices. Take a minute to look up fast food menus and find the best possible things you can get there. Also, if you find yourself eating in your car a lot, you might want to pack a small cooler with snacks, fruits, & veggies and just keep it there. You'd save a lot of money that way too. Hope you can find what works for you :)
  • depresseddancer
    depresseddancer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sticking to it is why we're here - we motivate each other!

I agree with the person who mentions meal planning, a freezer full of healthier options helps me so much. When I feel like a takeaway we just eat the curry/chicken nuggets/lasagne we've made ourselves. Ok it's not as healthy as a salad, but I fulfil my craving for half the calories and a quarter of the money.

My weight loss is very slow (about a stone so far, over a year, on and off with ups and downs), so I might not be the best person to advise, but every time I've lost a lot of weight it's all gone back on with more.

Now I'm seeing it as a lifestyle change. First it was meal planning, another month I added portion size reduction, then more dancing, now walking to work, maybe soon I'll try the strength work out thing :-/ Small steps, but I think we'll get there. Good luck!
  • eospassion
    eospassion Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You all are the best. Thank you for sharing such great ideas and truthful reminders. I'm not perfect by any means. I need to learn how to take control of my future. And my health. Thank you!!
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Luckily weight loss just means eating less than you burn. That also means it takes zero extra time to do. I don't recommend just eating fast food all day since it's not going to help you out nutritionally and it's hard to judge how many calories are in a fast food meal, but you can certainly go into your local grocery store and buy some hard cooked eggs and veggies, salad, sandwich etc. instead of going to grab fast food most of the time.
  • Sorova
    Sorova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    For a long time, I had a vague desire to lose weight, but I didn't, because it required eating healthy food in moderation and exercising. And I didn't want to make those changes, or felt I couldn't for various reasons.

Eventually, when I was ready, I lost weight pretty easily, without feeling miserable...because all it takes is eating healthy food in moderation and exercising.

The thing that makes it hard is the same thing that makes it easy. It's all a matter of perspective, of planning, and whether you're ready for it.

Imagine yourself a scientist. Analyze your behaviour patterns and find out what's derailing you, and then design a plan with those problems in mind. Plan for problems. Plan to slip up (because everyone does, even if it's just a little) and plan ahead how you'll get back on track. Educate yourself about nutrition from reliable sources that are not trying to sell you anything. Make modest goals, and small changes, and get the support of friends either on MFP or elsewhere.
  • tandabuss
    tandabuss Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this. I have fallen off the wagon two days ago, and I am going to get back on track tomorrow morning.