Just graduated, time to focus on myself - Looking for friends!

Options
kw1452
kw1452 Posts: 113 Member
Hi,

I was a graduate student until a week ago. I have been yo-yoing with my weight, periodically dieting and exercising, and then regressing back to convenience foods and laziness. This last semester has just been crazy, writing a thesis and finishing school. But I'm done now, and would like to get back on track. I'm going to the beach in July, so I think that's a good motivator to get started right away.

I'd love some friends to help motivate me on the app. I was pretty good about learning to cook healthier foods for a while, but was still having alot of trouble with portion control. And now I'm addicted to desserts again, so I'll have to battle with that at first. The only exercise I currently do is walking the dog, but I'd like to change that.

Replies

• kw1452
    kw1452 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Oh and I'm 5'6, 175lbs. Thats not super overweight, but its about a 28 BMI, so I'm not happy about it. And I used to carry my weight better, but now that I'm in my upper 20's, im starting to get folds and back fat and all this stuff that just makes clothes shopping and being comfortable in my own skin difficult.
  • iwillthinkof
    iwillthinkof Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I started this journey 3 months ago and I understand what you've just been through, and your choice to wait for that to be over—I just had to hand in my dissertation and now I have finals in 2 weeks. I am lucky because now it has become part of my routine, and working out is actually a break from studying.

So congratulations on your graduation, and welcome to this website! :D In a month's time we'll both be trying hard not to stress eat while working our first proper job. ;)
  • wmessenger72
    wmessenger72 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good luck! You will do great!
  • PsychReved
    PsychReved Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I hear you... six years later and I'm just now getting around to losing that dissertation weight! Feel free to add me.
  • felblossom
    felblossom Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi there and welcome to the "real world"!
    I'm not as recent of a graduate (class of 2013) but I had a very similar experience where my last semester got me to a BMI of 30 (5'5, then 184 lbs). I found some nice habits and started cooking some real food and the weight started coming off :) I'm currently on my second go on MFP and working on getting stronger and healthier with only a little stubborn weight to go (currently ~127lbs). Hoping I can be supportive! :)