Have you recommended mfp to other people?

Tanie98
Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
I have recommended it to 4 co workers who asked how I lost weight. They asked for the program and I gave them the site and told them what its all about.

The other 2 quit and said its too much work for them to have to log every thing they eat.The other one told me that she has been tracking her food for month but she is still the same size. I told her that its not going to happen overnight and if she sticks to it she will lose weight.

I also recommended it to my sister who had baby 4 months ago but she quit and said its a pain to count everything.Now she complaining that its taking her forever to lose the baby weight. she is now just watching her diet and exercing.

It seems like most people want a quick fix lol.I told them that it didnt happen overnight for me.I went from 153 to 120 lbs in 9 months .Have you had the same reaction?

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member
    I recommended it to a friend; they stuck with it for a while, then they stopped logging in. You can definitely recommend it, but unless the person's willing to put in the work and stick with it, usually they'll abandon the site. Hopefully your coworkers come back!
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I've recommended it several times but only a few have tried it (very briefly). I've actually asked people if they are willing to change some things to lose weight, or if they just WISH to lose weight... It's usually the latter ;)

It's been a little offensive to me how people admire and want my results so they try for a few weeks and just throw in the towel. I tell them it doesn't work like that but they don't get it. It's taken me almost two years.... Don't talk to me about three weeks!

Oh well, all we can do is try to help.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Tanie98 wrote: »

It seems like most people want a quick fix lol.I told them that it didnt happen overnight for me.I went from 153 to 120 lbs in 9 months .Have you had the same reaction?

You hit the point directly there. I would recommend MFP without reservations to people, but I'd be sure to tell them it is only a tool to watch how much they eat. It requires personal commitment and holding yourself accountable. It's not magic, or fast, but it works.
  • galaxyeyed
    galaxyeyed Posts: 98 Member
    You advice may be more useful than you think! Now that they know about it, it may stick in their mind and, when they're really ready to accept responsibility and lose weight, they can always come back. That's what happened to me...I've started counting on MFP about four times now, but I wasn't really serious about it. When I became mentally ready to change my lifestyle, I knew just the app to help :smile:
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    I got three people on here. Two of them loved it and are steadily losing weight.

The third, a yo-yo dieter friend, stopped using it in two weeks because she 'only lost 3 lbs' and her so-called 'dietician' told her it won't work. The 'dietician' instead advised that my friend follow the diet given by her. The 'dietician' also advised waist training. I believe she is secretly a psychopath. I was able to talk my friend out of the waist training but she trusts that woman more than a calorie calculator. She doesn't realize it's a scam. She loses 5 lbs in a week because she cuts out carbs and sodium, and she regains it over the weekend because those are her 'cheat days'. The dietician admonishes her for eating 'too much' of the 'wrong kind of food' and putting all their hard work to waste, and gets her on the 'plan' again. This has been going on for a year. I've given up.

Sorry for the rant.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Yup lots of friends...most are not consistent or just stop "too much work"...whatever...its' here they have their profile it's not up to me to force it.
  • Nyappykim
    Nyappykim Posts: 57 Member
    I've recommended the app to my mom. Although she doesn't log at all, she does like to use the database on an almost daily basis. It's been a little over a month and she has already lost 9 pounds :) I'm happy she found a good use of the app. I may try to persuade her to start logging once she gets closer to her goal.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    My dad and brother are on it, I've got a couple of friends who come on every now and again too. Most people who I tell about it say they want to lose but just don't want to put in the work :neutral:
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I recommended it to one person. I even helped her set up her account and showed her how to use it. She didn't even make it to day one because it was "too hard to figure out".
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    I tell people when they ask about my weight loss, but most people aren't interested enough to take the next step. One told me I have an eating disorder because I log every bite (never mind the fact that my loss averages out to just above a pound a week and 1400 is a low day to me, while she was trying to follow her doctor's blanket 1200 recommendation).
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    I reccomended it to my grandma the day I downloaded the app, and we have both been faithfully logging for 128 days together.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    I recommend it all the time but most can't be bothered because it's too much effort. One girl just logs everything as one portion even though she is eating much more than that and can't figure out how she's not losing weight (she has indeed showed picture of her food, it is def more than what she logs). Heh. If people aren't going to put in the effort, it won't work. But those that are serious and want to, it can no problem.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Yes, I have, along with Fitbit.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Yes because its a good tool. I have mentioned it to a few people down the gym but they soemtimes think you are trying to sell them something.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    minties82 wrote: »
    I reccomended it to my grandma the day I downloaded the app, and we have both been faithfully logging for 128 days together.

That is the cutest thing ever.

This is my third go round with MFP. The first times I couldn't easily navigate and it was too much of a hassle with everything else in my life (2 full time jobs, school, kids). This time I put the time in upfront to figure I out and made some personal connections and nearly 5 months later, still here.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Yes, I have recommended calorie counting apps in general to those who wanted to know what I am using to lose weight. All except one said it was too much for them. One co-worker used MFP in the past to lose weight, so she knew all about the process of eating at a deficit / counting calories / food scales.

You may be surprised how many healthcare professionals are misinformed when it comes to health, diet, and fitness. I think I'm one of the only people on this planet who has never tried/ believed in any fad diets.... But yeah, generally people want to hear that you've used some weight loss program like WW or diet pills or Slim Fast.
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Yes, I have recommended it to my friends. Sadly, no one even bothered to try it. They said it was too obsessive, ridiculous, and they don't know how to estimate. How on earth is it ridiculous to know the calories you put in your mouth? I don't have to force them. If they really want it, they'd at least give it a shot.
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    I've recommended it lots but I don't know of anyone following through yet.
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    I've recommended it lots but I don't know of anyone following through yet.
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    I recommended it to two friends and a co-worker. Hasn't been long enough yet to see if they will stick with it though.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited May 2015
    I have mentioned MFP and Fitbit and the success I a having on Facebook. One of my friends from there is using MFP again. I guess she had tried in the past but didn't stick with it. Hopefully we can support each other to keep going. So far she is doing great. I have a co-worker who is doing one of the expensive fad diets despite seeing my very obvious results with CICO.

Most people want a quick fix, to just take a pill or drink a shake and not have to think too hard not make major lifestyle changes. I try to keep in mind that not very long ago I was one of them. I didn't want to hear it. I complained about my weight but was unwilling to do the work required. So unwilling that I simply refused to believe that I was over eating. It had to be a health issue of some kind. Luckily I have patient friends who kept the information and inescapable logic in front of me, while leaving me to decide what to do with it. It was me who had to be willing and ready to face the truth and step up to the challenge of actually changing my eating habits..

You can't make people hear what they are not ready to hear or do what they are not ready to do. All you can do is be a positive influence in their lives and share your success and how you achieved it. It is up t them to use or not use the information to help themselves.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    No way I'd recommend it to family as I don't want them to see my profile.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    I only recommend it when people show interest in how I lost weight.I never recommend it unless the person shows interest in it and voluntary ask for it.