Struggling!

Options
GemeliaFP
GemeliaFP Posts: 91 Member
Hello everyone! My name is Gemma!

I started the 5:2 diet a few months back and I am really struggling! For those of you that dont know what the 5:2 diet is its where you eat 1/4 of your daily allowance for any 2/7 days and eat your daily allowance for the remaining 5/7.

I've managed to complete a few fasts here and there but I can't maintain it! Today I planned to fast... It got to around 20:00hrs and it got way too much for me and I went and bought al sorts of junk food and consumed about 2000calories! I do this often, and I now weight more than I did before I ever started dieting! I then get really low and eat even more..

I really want to lose weight and I am so unhappy with my body! I'm 4ft11 and weigh 10 stone 6 so my BMI is very high and my daily calorie allowance is very little!

Any advice would be much appreciated! Feel free to add me for support!

Replies

• DigitalDiana
    DigitalDiana Posts: 157 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi Gemma, Welcome to MFP! 5:2 may not work for everyone. Denying yourself food may be the very reason for the binge. Eat at your stated MFP calorie level- every day, eat back calories you burn after workouts, and those calories that you are eating back can be your treat foods. Try to look on the board here for healthier treats so that you aren't loading your system with salt or sugar. Good luck in your journey.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    So right out of the gate Id suggest that the 5:2 isn't optimal for you. Reconsider how you want to approach weight loss - keeping in mind your short term and long term goals. If you are hell bent on staying with the 5:2 then I suppose I would recommend keeping healthier fall back foods on hand for if/when you find yourself unable to meet your fasting goal. This would prevent binging on foods you know will cause you further setbacks.

Ideally, you want to find something that works for you in the long term. Something that will create less failure situations that will lead to your feeling like you are struggling with a losing battle. There are all kinds of alternatives out there - some being as simple as "move more, eat less." Good luck :)
  • GemeliaFP
    Options
    Thanks! You are probably right, thanks for the advice! Good luck in yours too! :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    MFP is abut sustainable lifestyle changes If you cant do 5:2 which isnt for everyone then why nopt just do consistent calorific deficist supported with some exercise? The first part of dieting is to learn what it is you need to do and formulate a plan that will work for you, which measn you cna sustain it.
  • GemeliaFP
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and support everyone! I think you are right and that 5:2 clearly isn't for me!
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    If there was a diet that you could probably follow, it's the Carb Cycle diet. here's a break down of it. http://chrispowell.com/carb-cycling-101/

Don't fast as it isn't sustainable and you will end up binge eating such as what happened in your case. Read up on other diets if you don't like carb cycling but I think you will as it gives a lot of flexibility.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Most diets work by restricting calorie intake in some way but they do go about differently.
    5/2 doesn't work for everyone. (It can make you feel that you are starving and you body reacts to this threat by wanting to binge on any available food as fast as possible!)
    Some people like to follow the low sugar route (the GI diet is one of these)
    Some like to be low fat
    Some prefer the Mediterranean diet
    Some insist on replacing meals with a low calorie shake
    Some like to stick to a very limited range of allowed foods

It really depends on your particular loves/hates and what is a particular challenge for you.

If you got to your present weight but don't eat much fat usually, then a low fat diet won't work for you! My lovely M-in-L tried cutting out alcohol as a no alcohol month had worked wonders for a friend of hers... it didn't work on her (mainly because she didn't every drink more than a sherry a week normally - and cutting this didn't make any real difference to her weekly calorie intake!)

Why not choose another diet? So long as it is healthy - it doesn't really matter which one you select. Find one you can stick with and adapt to for life.
  • GemeliaFP
    Options
    Thanks all of you :)