biking newbie

Options
CVAB
CVAB Posts: 56 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I got a bike a free days ago. mainly for going to and from work.
I haven't riden a bike in like 15 years
I'm so sore. should i wait till i heal completely?
It's to painful to even sit on the bike

Replies

• bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how far you rode, bike fit and a comfortable saddle is the keys to success.
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Yeah buy a good seat for it. Heal while its shipping to you!!
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Take it slow, don't do too much too soon.

You should be pedaling at a medium-high cadence, with low resistance, not pounding on the pedals. Pedal steadily, instead of pedaling hard then coasting, which will wear you out faster.
    Make sure your bike fits you. Take it to your local bike shop for a fit and a tuneup.
    Make sure you check your tire pressure before each ride.

Wear. A. Helmet.
    Get blinky lights and make sure you know traffic laws and how to signal if you're commuting on public roads.

Finally, most importantly:
    Buy Padded Shorts.
    Buy Chamois butter.
    Thank me later.

They have shorts that are not skin tight spandex, if that's not your thing.

:smile:
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Sore is not good. Find a local bike shop that has a fitting service and while you are there get some maintenance done on the bike.

A fitting should help you get seat and handle bar height set properly for you. You may need to upgrade the seat and/or bar set you now have to provide more comfort on your commutes. The shop should have several styles available. Make sure they know you are using the bike as a commuter. So they can find the appropriate equipment to suit that need.

Have the shops mechanic do a thorough check of everything on the bike. If you do not know how to change a tire or repair a flat ask if they will give you a quick lesson. It would be a good idea to get a saddle bag to carry a spare inner tube, patch kit, tire levers and a multi-tool.

You can also search youtube for videos that will show you how to change a tire and patch a flat as well as other basic repairs. To help reinforce what you learned at the shop. Also, do several dry runs in your garage, living room or wherever you have the room so you a comfortable doing it and won't panic when it happens in real life.

If you find that the shop treated you well and with respect, go back and support them with your business. If they were rude or just didn't seem to care find another shop. Once you have found a good shop, the odds are they will be busy because they are good. Should you need a bike repair done that you can't handle and you need it done quickly, it never hurts to "bribe" the mechanic with a cold six pack of his favorite brew or their favorite food snacks. Ask the owner or counter guy if there are any local groups that commute as a social group you can join. Then you will have some experienced people that can help you learn about maintaining your bike, inform you about the best routes in your city and a group of people that are like minded to hangout with on off days.

Good Luck!
  • CVAB
    CVAB Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Very helpful.
    I rode a lot. i was excited i suppose.
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I takes a couple of weeks for the saddle soreness to go away.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Some people think a big fat cushy saddle is best. They are wrong. A narrow firm saddle is best.
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Some people think a big fat cushy saddle is best. They are wrong. A narrow firm saddle is best.
    Exactly!