Safe to eat less than 1200 cal for men

Options
ATHLegal
ATHLegal Posts: 352 Member
Hi all,

Just wondering is it safe to eat less than 1200 cal plus exercising. I get that pop up from mfp saying I need to eat more but Im not hungry. Give me your opinions guys

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Not unless you are under medical supervision. You are 22 and have 56lbs to lose according to your ticker, which indicates you have plenty to lose and theres a high % chance you dont really know what you are doing. You werent eating less than 1200 to put on the weight in the first place.

Why not try safe sustainable and healthy? Is that of interest to you? Have you spent any time learning about nutrition and what your body needs? If its volume then eat soemthing you like or eat more calorie dense foods.
  • ATHLegal
    ATHLegal Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Not unless you are under medical supervision. You are 22 and have 56lbs to lose according to your ticker, which indicates you have plenty to lose and theres a high % chance you dont really know what you are doing. You werent eating less than 1200 to put on the weight in the first place.

Why not try safe sustainable and healthy? Is that of interest to you? Have you spent any time learning about nutrition and what your body needs? If its volume then eat soemthing you like or eat more calorie dense foods.

Thanks. Yes I am knew to dieting and I know have quite a lot to lose. First time dieting ever. Lol

Will definitely take your advice and eat above the minimum. Maybe 1500cal? Thanks
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's not safe for most women, so it's definitely not safe for a man.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Not safe. Eat more.
    Enter your stats into MFP for losing 1-1.5 pounds/week and eat that many calories. Eat back about half of any exercise calories as well. You'll lose the weight in a healthy and sustainable manner that will last a life time.
    When you get to within 10 pounds of your goal weight, change your weight loss goal to 0.5 pounds a week to ease yourself into maintenance.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    no
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    No :|
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    if you want to look anorexic and malnourished, that's the way to do it. Nobody is going to recommend that to you though. That said, if it's just one day or something because you were sick, then that's different.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    No
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    No. There is no way you're getting proper nutrition. No way.

Lol. How did you get a flag for this? It's the same information everyone else gave. I guess you have an admierer
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options

He is right.

Unless your 5'0" flat and in a hospital bed, that isn't enough calories to sustain your health as a man... Or even a woman.

This is one of my main gripes about MFP's default goal setting.... Especially if you're using the exercise function to remove even more calories from the 1200-1300 default calorie goal.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »

He is right.

Unless your 5'0" flat and in a hospital bed, that isn't enough calories to sustain your health as a man... Or even a woman.

This is one of my main gripes about MFP's default goal setting.... Especially if you're using the exercise function to remove even more calories from the 1200-1300 default calorie goal.

MFP is just using the guidelines from the National Institute of Health from a legal standpoint. It really shouldn't be a fixed number like that, I have a gripe with it too.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

Thank you to my fan for another flag. I will add it to my collection of flags from the others.

How many are you up to?
  • sealensfit
    sealensfit Posts: 51 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm female, 22, and have a few pounds to lose. I get almost 2,000 calories a day. 1200 in completely unrealistic. You body will burn more calories than that without you moving. I would look up your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) and see what it is, and then that can help you determine what to eat. I burn about 1,500 calories just being alive... so just being alive means you need more than that. Good luck, and stay healthy!
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    It depends 100% on your height and activity level. We really don't have enough info to give you a good answer, but do you mean that it's under 1200 after you exercise? The site really overestimates exercise calories, so it does that to me too. I'll eat 1800 calories, but then between a few long walks and some time at the gym it'll have me down to 1100. My nutrition is fine, and I'm not hungry, it's just a little quirk of the math.

Is that the kind of thing that is happening to you?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    No - it's completely misguided and unnecessary to eat that low.
    Use the tool as designed, set a moderate rate of rate loss and eat back your exercise calories.

• galgenstrick
    Options

Thank you to my fan for another flag. I will add it to my collection of flags from the others.

How many are you up to?

sWgCwYd.png?1

I'm guessing all the users that flagged you are no longer active on this site.