cardio

nikkiw81
nikkiw81 Posts: 4
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
hi everybody.i'm looking for a bit of advice.my main cardio exercise is brisk walking (every day as i dont drive) ,exercide bike (7.5-9 miles 3 times a week) and spinning which i will be attending once a week.which other cardio exercise offers the most benefit in burning calories? i seem to be doing a lot of bike based activities and would like some variety :happy:

Replies

• Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    I can't speak to this personally, but from what I've seen, most people are getting FANTASTIC burns from the elliptical. I've seen some nice burns from swimming as well.

I use a bodybugg and depending on the workout I get on the treadmill, I can get a pretty nice burn rotating every minute between 6mph and 3mph.
  • hockeyman28
    hockeyman28 Posts: 136
    I have studied this alot since running (my main cardio) every day gets boring to me. I love spinning class, nothing gets me sweating like 45 minutes of a spinning class.

running. Nothing beats running. It engages most every muscle from the abs down(unlike the bike which leaves out the body's largest muscle- the glutes) Engaging every muscle allows you to burn more calories.

eliptical is like running except that the momentum the machine generates for you has you not work as hard, but especially higher resistance eliptical training engages so many muscles.

Skating. (you can rollerblade if ice skating is a problem) but to get the most out of a skating work out, you need to do many starts and stops -less glides- or if you are outside, many uphills)

Classes. The good ones though- forget zumba(though I know many love it), hit a bodypump or kickboxing class.

I have also been known to pop a Billy Blanks DVD, punch a heavy bag, swim(tough because I am no good at) or jump rope from time to time.
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    I use the elliptical as well, and also am doing c25k (when my new trainers arrive!)
  • nikkiw81
    thanks for the tips!i was thinking of a zumba class.it sounds like so much fun.also a body pump class really appeals to me so i'll enquire into both of those.
  • nikkiw81
    p.s ive never heard of the elliptical!!!
  • hockeyman28
    hockeyman28 Posts: 136
    The eliptical (sp?) is the machine that looks kind of like a stair climber, but has two poles you grab with your arms to work arms and legs together. They are usually near the treadmills. I dont know how to post pictures or I would fro ya.
This discussion has been closed.