Need advice on switching from running to gym workouts!

Options
Hey there,

I haven't been on these forums for over a year, but I need some advice on switching up my workout routine. For some background, I lost 40 pounds and became underweight by barely eating and never exercising. Then I realized that I was unhealthy, and began running long distance. I started eating more and put on a healthy amount of weight. The problem is, I've now gained more weight than I wanted to. I run an average of 5 miles a day, 6 days per week. I stopped measuring my calories because I was becoming obsessive about it. For over a year, this worked for me, but now I've begun to gain unwanted weight since about February.

I figured I should begin working out at the gym and building muscle somewhere other than my legs. Not sure if this is related to running, but my butt has also grown disproportionately in comparison to the rest of me. I realize that building muscle also boosts your metabolism. Plus, I'm moving to Chicago next month and know I will not be able to run outside for a good third of the year. I would love some suggestions on where to begin, or examples of workouts and machines to use. Anything at all would be beneficial, down to exact numbers of crunches/sets/etc. I have never been one to work out at a gym beyond the treadmill or elliptical, so I am a total newbie to everything, and I know you guys could be of great help!

Thank you!

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If you are interested in weightlifting with free weights, a lot of women really enjoy--and have success with--programs like Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, Strong Curves, and New Rules of Lifting for Women. I'm just starting with a slightly modified version of Starting Strength, which for me is one day of squats-overhead press-deadlift and one day of squats-bench press-inverted rows. I do a couple of extra exercises as well because I enjoy them. You can Google any of those programs; some of them are books as well (NROL4W in particular is a more complex program).

If you belong to a gym, I highly suggest you make an appointment with a trainer there to check your form on any freeweight lifting you want to do, or even to help you set up a program with the stuff the gym has.

If you're not interested in lifting free weights, what about a bodyweight program like You Are Your Own Gym?

Also, FWIW, I live in an area with worse winter weather than Chicago and it is absolutely possible to run outside the whole year (except the days the city declares a whiteout or dangerous wind chill and will ticket and fine anyone they see outside or even driving). You just need the guts and the gear. :)
  • gainorfamily09
    gainorfamily09 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Stronglift 5X5 is an amazing program. It's great for beginners or advanced lifters. In the first 12 weeks I brought my bench from 160 to 225 and my squats from 135 to 295. I stuck with it and now bench 285 and squat 345. Highly recommend it.