anyone else feel sad or frustrated when going clothes shopping??

2»

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    While I readily admit being in a smaller jeans size is a great joy to me every day since I lost weight and have maintained, I have gotten extremely picky about clothes and only buy clothes that fit, make me feel and look great, and are more than 75% natural fibers like cotton, wool, silk and linen. I also am a huge fan of Project 333 -(google it) . I don't let the fashion industries' crazy lack of standardization on clothing sizes impact me anymore. I also found that pinterest has a huge number of posts on"capsule wardrobes" or "travel wardrobes" that I wish I had known about when I was losing down to my maintenance range.
  • MK24551
    MK24551 Posts: 174 Member
    I am with all of you!!!! I went shopping for some work out clothes and got all depressed by I thought I was one size but in reality I wasn't. BUT we can not let it bring us down. We r working damn hard on a new us and it isn't going to happen over night. Keep working hard, stay within our caloric goal and it WILL come off. IT WILL COME OFF!!!!
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    What I am more frustrated by is how expensive good-fitting clothing is for larger people. I was able to find nice clothes even at size 18w but it breaks the bank every time. I think if your figure is non-standard in any way, it is almost impossible to find flattering clothes at places like Walmart for obvious reasons - their priority is to keep the price down, not to carry clothes specially and competently cut for my apple shape obese figure.

I have been very lucky at Winners for years and keep scouring the racks at least a couple of times a month even though I don't always buy anything. They often have beautifully fitting jeans in the plus-size section from different brands so you can find what works for you. I am now in that awkward moment where the bigger size fits like a sack and the smaller size is super tight. So I'll wear my baggy old things until I drop a size or they drop down on me in some public place somewhere :(
  • cocoamoon
    cocoamoon Posts: 4 Member
    @2essie well I wasn't going to buy like a bunch of clothes haha it's just that before joining MFP I had already lost a lot of weight.I used to weigh 109 kg and now I weigh 78.
    I started working and I have only like 4 tops that are ok for work.

@Wiseandcurious yeah there are some places th at sell clothes for bigger people but like a lot more expensive.

• cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    I try not to get too hung up I the size number on clothes as it varies so much from store to store. Who cares if the label says 10, 14 or whatever?
    If I try it on and it looks good and makes me feel good, that's all that matters to me.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    I understand how you feel... But regardless of my size, I have always disliked shopping for clothing because of my shape. I remember the day I realized I look like a man in a dress/skirt... Depressing.

But I generally don't shop much anymore. The cute/sexy or feminine clothing don't look right on me... And wearing men's clothing ends with me being referred to as 'sir'. But, I like both ends of the spectrum and everything between, but the clothing doesn't like me back.