Triathlons: swim bike run eat

Options
anna1_99
anna1_99 Posts: 4 Member
If I'm not running, biking, or swimming than I am cooking,eating, or cleaning dishes and chasing children. I am allergic to milk and can't tolerate much soy (ie no protein shakes). My calorie intake is 3,000-4000 depending on what my training is that day. I eat a lot of avacados, nuts, homemade mayo and dips with my veggies. I also brought juice back into my diet (stomach used to not tolerate the acidity). Any other runner friendly easy high calorie foods you can recommend? I am okay on meals but could use some quick easy snacks. Thanks! (Please don't say "what a great problem" or "train less" or worse "you need to eat a sandwich". Thanks)

Replies

• rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I also do triathlons but am overweight so limit the calories and I am vegetarian. My protein powder is Garden of Life raw fit. It's kind of expensive but has a mix of plant proteins with varying adsorption rates. I mix it with cashew milk or almond milk and some fruit. I also love guacamole and homemade salsa on toast. I have also seen variations of peanut butter/oatmeal/chocolate balls, sometimes mixed with protein powder but basically whatever you want. Tons of recipes, and I just modify with what I have in the fridge. Sorry I don't have more, but I can't eat stuff like that alot.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I did my first triathlon two weeks ago; but not sure I can help as I find it really easy to rack up 4,000 calories of eating! Not sure my diet is 100% the best; I eat a lot of chicken/fish - and I do "snack" on rice and pasta. I think if you are burning a lot of cals (as you are) you do have to go for some basic carbs too (I found I was losing weight/muscle mass when I didn't)

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Bagels with nut butters and banana is what I would eat if I had to get more calories omnomnom... or u know... ice cream
  • anna1_99
    Options
    I did recently discover Justin maple butter. If it wasn't so expensive j would eat it by the jar. Yum! I am going to bring more whole grains and rice in too.
  • anna1_99
    Options
    Thanks also for the Garden of Life protein mix tip. I will check that out.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    That would be tough because of the dairy allergy. What about black beans, legumes, quinoa, tofu, pumpkin seeds. Am not a runner so not sure how that would affect the stomach.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Some of the calorie drinks are non-milk based, so they might work.
    250 cal per bottle, good nutrition of a bunch of vitamins and minerals too.
    And great ratio of 4:1 carb:protein for post workout intake to replenish carb stores.
    Ensure, Equate, Boost, or Carnation to mix with your own milk substitute.

Clif bars are same 4:1, and 250 cal.
    Easy to intake 500 after a workout.

2 Zone or Balance bars are about 400-450 cal, I like those as snacks leading up to a workout, the rest easy. Not sure if level of milk based protein or such would cause problems. Buy individually at Walmart or Target.

Cricket flour (basically protein powder from ground up crickets) is starting to make the rounds in to health food stores too, though a tad pricy for their big claim to not need nearly as much water as beef or milk protein, and easy to raise. Though I hear the herding can be difficult.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Bananas are good. Hard to eat more than 2-3 though.
  • rachaelz12
    rachaelz12 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Amazing grass meal shakes are great. They make some without soy proteins. Potato bread with peanut butter. QuestBars don't have too much sugar (for a protein bar) and don't have sugar alcohols proper, so none of the related problems -- I'm not sure which ones don't contain soy. My roomie is vegan -- tons of beans and yogurt made with nut milk.
  • anna1_99
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Some of the calorie drinks are non-milk based, so they might work.
    250 cal per bottle, good nutrition of a bunch of vitamins and minerals too.
    And great ratio of 4:1 carb:protein for post workout intake to replenish carb stores.
    Ensure, Equate, Boost, or Carnation to mix with your own milk substitute.

Clif bars are same 4:1, and 250 cal.
    Easy to intake 500 after a workout.

2 Zone or Balance bars are about 400-450 cal, I like those as snacks leading up to a workout, the rest easy. Not sure if level of milk based protein or such would cause problems. Buy individually at Walmart or Target.

Cricket flour (basically protein powder from ground up crickets) is starting to make the rounds in to health food stores too, though a tad pricy for their big claim to not need nearly as much water as beef or milk protein, and easy to raise. Though I hear the herding can be difficult.

Thanks for the info! I am actually allergic to whey specifically so anything with whey protein is a no go. I will check out the others. Thanks!