Can you drink too much water?

I drink a lot if water.. a few people have said that ineed to take amino acids to get rid of the water weight i have. Granted i live a very slack lifestyle. That is why i stared this, to get me motivated! But i was just wondering if one could be drinking too much water? And should i start on amino acids?

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Yes, you can, but it would take an awful lot. It's called water intoxication, and normally the persons who might have such a concern are those running marathons or other strenuous activities in which you lose a lot of sodium through sweating, and drink a lot of water within a short amount of time. Under normal circumstances, barring a medical condition, you shouldn't worry.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Yes, it is possible to drink too much water. In fact, it can kill you, if you drink too much. But as long as you aren't drinking more than a gallon a day, it shouldn't be a major concern.
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    I don't know anything about amino acids, but yes, you can drink too much water and throw your electrolytes off kilter. My friend's husband just spent the night in the hospital because of this. He used to drink nothing but beer, sweet tea, and sodas. One day he decided to go off those cold turkey and down like two gallons of water in one day and he loused his electrolytes up. If you aren't athletic and sweating a lot, then you don't need to be downing a ton of water.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Yes it's possible to drink too much water. Most people won't even come close.
    In rare cases, drinking an extreme amount in a short time can be dangerous. It can cause the level of salt, or sodium, in your blood to drop too low. That's a condition called hyponatremia. It's very serious, and can be fatal. You may hear it called water intoxication.
    ~ http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/water-intoxication

If your drinking enough water (not too much and not too little) the extra water weight that your body holds onto from time to time will drop off on it's own. There is no need for anything extra unless you have a medical issue that causes you to retain more water than is normal (at that point though, you should be seeking help from a medical professional).
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Also, which amino acids are you referring to? There are 22 of them, and they do different things. I haven't heard of taking them for water weight. I have heard of reducing sodium consumption, or lowering carbs. Here's a list of amino acids and some potential supplemental uses for them.
  • OriginalKatie
    OriginalKatie Posts: 119 Member
    Yes you can drink too much water. It's called water toxicity. You end up flushing out too many electrolytes through your kidneys, which can cause heart attacks and brain swelling. It's best to stick to no more than about 3 litres of fluid a day. A good way to gauge it is to check your urine colour. If it's a clear, pale, straw colour then that's good. If its really dark, you need to drink more. If its completely clear, you're probably drinking too much.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I don't know if its an amino acid, but I take grape seed extract everyday, which is supposed to help with edema (fluid in my legs), and the associated vein problems that usually accompany it.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    It you are eating sufficient protein, either animal or plant sourced, why would you need to take amino acids separately? The only concern I could see is if you're vegetarian/vegan and you rely too much on one or two sources (like legumes) that are deficient in a couple of the aminos.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Amino acids cures over-hydration?

Wha?

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Electrolyte balance
  • zoltanszecsi
    zoltanszecsi Posts: 14 Member
    1. Drinking Water Helps Maintain the Balance of Body Fluids.
    2. Water Can Help Control Calories.
    3. Water Helps Energize Muscles.
    4. Water Helps Keep Skin Looking Good.
    5. Water Helps Your Kidneys.
    6. Water Helps Maintain Normal Bowel Function.
  • 2bfit_2015
    2bfit_2015 Posts: 42 Member
    I exercise 2 hours a day and I drink at least a gallon of water. But I've built up this habit for over several months. Yesterday I drank more then 2 gallons of water and I'm still alive. I don't think I drink enough because I'm always thirsty and I base that off two things:
    1)how I feel
    And
    2) what color my urine is

If I'm not feeling my best and craving water then u better believe I will drink water and if my urine is a darker yellow I will drink more water. I also eat a lot of fruits veggies etc. just go with how ur body feels cuz not everyone needs 2 gallons of water but if ur exercising a lot u better believe u will be sweating most of that water out anyway
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    It partly has to do with how quickly you drink the water. A lot of water spaced throughout the day is very different from a bunch of water in thirty minutes. Also, mixing electrolytes with the water (sports drinks, sodas) helps prevent problems.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    I often drink over a gallon, up to a gallon and a half. I am chronically thirsty thanks to a medication I'm on. My intake is spaced out over the day, though.

My electrolytes are fine.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I am probably overly hydrated. I usually drink at least 100 oz., often 150 oz. or more.

However it is during the day and it is never all at once. My urine is often quite clear, but there isn't anything dangerous about it. I have a job that keeps me active and moving throughout the day, so I am often wanting water while at work.

As an lovely side effect...I have pretty awesome skin.

Samesies on the skin! Can't say the same for the urine, though. I'm on a pretty decent dose of B-2 twice a day as part of my migraine protocol. It would take a dangerous amount of water to dilute that to anything near clear.