New Gym Member Help!

Options
So Ive been out of commission due to an injured knee and now that I'm recovering Ive decided to join a gym. Ive never done this before and don't know much about machines and best routines for losing weight in the right places. I have done my research on gyms and picked one based on price and convince. They offer trainers but Ive never been one to have someone watch me workout. This gym thing is new and I'm already going to be nervous just to be inside one feeling like all eyes are on me. I need some advice. What helps you workout and not feel like you're being watched? What machines work best for losing belly fat? What's max amount of time to workout for beginners? Someone help this new gym member! Plzzzz

Replies

• lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Everyone is there for a reason. Just do what you need to do. Get in the zone. I think I would do a little research on machines beforehand so you can be like "ok I know what to do here" type thing. Some machines even have instructions. Could ask people who work there too.

I think having fun helps to not care if people watch you. I feel like I don't really watch people but I do look around now and then to get more motivation while on the stationary bike. I kind of go faster as well when others are near me and they kind of are going a little slower and then I see them sped up a little more lol Some machines have tvs and stuff on them so that can help. They have some workouts like biking through Paris (favorite one to do) and other areas, makes it seem to go by faster. Could watch movies or listen to music.

You could always try some classes like zumba (dancing), yoga etc

You can't really target a certain area but I would probably go for more ab machines.

I'd say 30-50 minutes would be ideal. Listen to your body. Everyone is different, starting at different fitness levels as well.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Well you can't target where your body will lose fat from. It just isn't possible. Eat at a deficit and eventually weight will come off your stomach.

Strength training will help you maintain existing muscle mass.
    Cardio will help burn extra calories.

Trust me, no one is going to be paying attention to you. The only times I pay attention to other people:
    • They are using the equipment I need to use. My gym has 1 power cage and 1 squat rack. There are rare circumstances where both are in use, so I pay attention so that I can see when their done. I'd work in, but I'm still so light with my weights that for most people it would just be an inconvenience for both parties.
    • They ask me how long I'm going to be (usually power cage) or ask if they can do pull ups in between my sets.
    • They are walking on the track. There's nothing wrong with them walking on the track, I just have to make sure I'm paying attention so I don't run into them.

A trainer can help come up with a beginner routine for you. Another option is to go to bodybuilding.com and look at some of the beginner programs that they have.
  • walter94526
    walter94526 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Trainer is a good way to go if you can afford it.
    Group classes are good, be sure to get in a "beginner" class so as not to get overwhelmed / discouraged.
    And remember, above all: showing up is half 3/4 of the battle. Keep coming regularly no matter what shape you are in, and know that being there consistently is what counts.
  • BARBnKS
    BARBnKS Posts: 84 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The YMCA in my city has a arthritis water class which is great for people with knee or other joint problems, a great way to start out in the pool before attempting the weight bearing exercises. I started out with a punch card, mine was $35 for 10 visits good for just the pool classes but it was good to find out if I would be able to take the class without problems with my knees before buying a membership. I love it & did buy a membership with a reduced rate for lower income and I'm getting more mobile & having less knee pain. There are other water classes also but if you join the trainers will meet with you 3 times with no extra cost to show you what kind of exercises would be best for you. I've found everyone's there to workout & they don't pay attention to what you are doing.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Trust me, no one is going to be paying attention to you.

I've found this to be pretty true. I've been using gyms in various locations since 2003. Most of the interaction revolved around pleasantries while passing each other in the hall and asking if a certain piece of equipment was in use.

While there are some exceptions to the rule, most people are going to be focused on getting their workout done. To them, you'll be just another stranger using the gym, especially in a commercial gym. It's not going to be like you're walking into a closed-in, exclusive club where being a new person is going to make you stick out more.

• ladybugs_motivated
    ladybugs_motivated Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    So Ive been out of commission due to an injured knee and now that I'm recovering Ive decided to join a gym. Ive never done this before and don't know much about machines and best routines for losing weight in the right places. I have done my research on gyms and picked one based on price and convince. They offer trainers but Ive never been one to have someone watch me workout. This gym thing is new and I'm already going to be nervous just to be inside one feeling like all eyes are on me. I need some advice. What helps you workout and not feel like you're being watched? What machines work best for losing belly fat? What's max amount of time to workout for beginners? Someone help this new gym member! Plzzzz
    You have a hurt knee, but want exercises.

What did your physical therapist give you? Because, "hurt knee" is ambiguous.

I have two hurt knees, I could give you my work out schedule for the last two days, but won't. Why? My hurt knees and your hurt knee are two different things.

What you need right now seems to be a physical therapist, not a personal trainer.

I've already seen a Dr and have been cleared to workout. The knee injury is from a previous accident many years ago and Ive already had surgery on it. I was advised by my Dr to wear a knee brace just for extra support while working out. Told by the Dr that knee swelling will happen the more I workout but it's normal and I need to ice it if it happens to worsen. My main concern is to not damage it more so knowing what machines are best for it is my main goal.
  • ladybugs_motivated
    ladybugs_motivated Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for replying. Ive found more comfort in what everyone's said about no one paying attention to me working out. I guess worrying about it would only discourage me and thats not what I want. I have to enter that gym with my mind set on my workout and nothing else. Feeling more focused now. I'm going to take advantage of everything this gym has to offer including trainers and help with how to use machines. Thank you all.
  • rpopoff607
    rpopoff607 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You have a good attitude to help you get started! I was where you are once, with all the same concerns. I followed Jamie Eason's live fit training program on bodybuilding.com. I would watch the short video demonstrating the use of the machine before my workout. You will gain confidence fast, and before you know it, you won't even think about other people at the gym.
  • alicebertram
    alicebertram Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I never thought I would like a trainer but now that I have used one I love it! I cannot afford to see him often but the information I got from him is invaluable. Try it once see how you like it.