Breastfeeding calories

Options
Hi everyone - been a while since I've been on here. A whole pregnancy and baby ago in fact. Now I have some snuggly bits to rid myself of and Im wondering how I go about allowing enough calories for nursing. I don't want to reduce my intake too much so as to affect my supply but also cant keep this steady creep of putting weight on. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Same boat as you. 10 weeks postpartum and the heaviest I've ever been.

bump
  • aerchemist
    aerchemist Posts: 18 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My best advice is really not to rush it... Totally not what you want to hear. I know. I have been there! I breastfed both my sons. They are 2 and 3 years old now, and I just weaned my youngest. For some reason the lbs just clung on horribly with my second son ... The wt seemed to melt off with my first. So I remember panicking. I really believe stressing about it is the main factor. So, easier said than done, but when I just focused on nursing on demand and increasing my water and fluid I take, and finally slept more the weight came off. It flat out took a good two or more months for my body to let go of the weight with my second. Another tip is watermelon is a good fruit to eat to combat fluid retention. Honestly though, take a deep breath momma and look at this miracle your body has created and love your body. You have much to be proud of and the weight will come off. God Bless you!
  • catharinamkotze
    catharinamkotze Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi
    My lg is now 14 weeks and I have already lost 21kg's.
    I add 250 calories for breastfeeding to my diary every day and NEVER go below 1500.
    I do not know how old your little one is, but it is best to wait at least 6 weeks after birth for supply to settle.
  • happylass123
    happylass123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies. My little is 13 months. I weigh far more now than I did when full term ! I am a comfort water from way back and running two businesses from home with a little one I just replaced sleep with food. Not ideal. But, this has worked for me before and it will again. Just want to make sure I set a realistic calorie goal for myself as she still feeds quite a lot.

Thanks again, see you on the fit side
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    I would say, since your child is 13 months, you probably don't need that many extra calories for nursing, try adding maybe 200 to what MFP gives you and if your supply drops at all, add a bit more. My daughter is 16 1/2 months and was already starting to wean, so we just dropped back to 2X a day and I'm going at this full force to lose the extra weight. I'm not too worried about my supply running out though, as she's not dependent on it and some days could totally do without.
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    I also have two other kids who I nursed for quite a long while, but didn't do any sort of calorie counting with them and just kind of held onto about 5 pounds extra the whole time I nursed them.
  • maineapple
    maineapple Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My physician told me you only need about 1extra glass of milk per day worth of calories (about 200) to compensate for nursing. Some women think they have to "eat for two," but that is not necessary.
  • VEV86
    VEV86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Following :) I am 12wks pp. back to pre pregnancy weight with second child, would like to be back to pre preg weight from first baby : I never lost after first baby whom I nursed for 13mo/ was already preg with baby no 2. Ugh! Trying to lose the remaining 30lbs
  • camillem321
    camillem321 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to gain some weight. I'm 7 weeks postpartum and losing drastically, along with losing weight my milk supply seems to be decreasing. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm working at a 2,190 calorie diet a day but things don't seem to be working out. Also I am taking herbal supplements to try and get my milk supply back up. Any suggestions would be great!
  • catharinamkotze
    catharinamkotze Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you are still losing at 2190 calories, it means it is still too little.
    Try eating more or more energy dense foods.
  • pinkstacymarie
    pinkstacymarie Posts: 5 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    A lactation consultant told me you are supposed to eat between 2000-2400 calories per day while breastfeeding. Not sure if this is any different as your baby gets older or not?
  • happylass123
    happylass123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to gain some weight. I'm 7 weeks postpartum and losing drastically, along with losing weight my milk supply seems to be decreasing. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm working at a 2,190 calorie diet a day but things don't seem to be working out. Also I am taking herbal supplements to try and get my milk supply back up. Any suggestions would be great!

Try oats, lots of oats. It's great for promoting milk production. Google lactation cookies or just eat the porridge.
  • camillem321
    camillem321 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great! Thank you all. I will keep everyone updated.
  • maddoxba02
    maddoxba02 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

My four month old is almost 19lbs so when I work 6-8 hours without pumping I have pumped as much as 17 oz at one time. He eats a lot. When my supply starts to dwindle I take a couple fenugreek seed capsules morning and night. Bumps his supply right back up even when I missed a few pump sessions. Oats and nuts help with the good thick butter milk. Pistachios almonds peanuts very calorie dense and great for milk.

• ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Set your goal to maintenance and eat a healthy diet. Bfing will burn calories. You night be eating more than you think. But for your supply id stick to maintenance