Getting emotional after training hard

Options
Hi all,

Does anyone else get emotional after a really hard training session?
Background - I lost my wife to cancer five months ago. Since then I've been using mfp to help get into shape... Watching what I eat, training with a friend. I'm not real fit yet, but I am trying hard and seeing results. Thing is, sometimes after really pushing hard I just start crying in the gym. It's a bit embarrassing but I cannot help it. Big towel helps a bit.
Doesn't happen very often... But it did again today.
Anyone have anything similar? Stressed out heaps perhaps and workout just releases so much inside it comes out?

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Occasionally I have an emotional reaction after working out. I think it's the result of endomorphs being released. Perhaps if something is going on that I've been going through.

I think it's a good thing when it happens.
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Well I can´t tell what triggers your tears. When I lost a dear friend to cancer in may 2013... it was when I drove my car I couldn´t stop crying. All summer I feel I cried when I drove...! I still miss her, and mourn her, but the tears have dried up now. My advice is to let it all out. Ignore other members in the gym. Let yourself heal in your own time. People will perhaps ask if they can help you, and if they do, just explain that you need a minute in Peace, and you´ll be allright. It´s a personal thing to cry, but no scandal if you cry in public.
  • araromi2
    araromi2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Im sorry for your loss.Working out can serve as an emotional release. Its just your way of letting go of your pain. I recently started crossfit and its emotional having people push me and not letting me give up when I dont have that support in my daily affairs.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I think that it is sometimes a physiological thing. I bawled my eyes out in the last 4km of my 44km race last weekend. I don't know why, nothing really happened to cause that. I think my brain just received a signal that the body was at its end of coping.
  • Guineagirl913
    Guineagirl913 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. Yes, between June of 2011 and April 2013 I buried three sisters all with cancer. I started doing kickboxing and found it to be a very good emotional release. I had a great deal of anger. Afterwards, I would just feel the tears starting to come. Take one day at a time. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers
  • wesjack777
    wesjack777 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Wow that was quick getting posts... Thanks for sharing.
    Perhaps I experience a bit of all that you've said... Emotions from my wife's passing, emotions as I push hard. Interesting what you've shared and appreciated greatly...
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you. I've not lost a spouse but I lost my dad to cancer in December.

I do get emotional, especially since I turned to exercise and losing weight as a way to cope.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your loss m8, perhaps its becayse exercise can be cathartic and it puts you in a certain place if you train hard. Your reaction isnt uncommon as there was a thread about this within the last month. It doesnt happen to me, but I cna see with your vulnerabilities why it wouild happen. Dont worry about it, grieving is a long process at which we find out own path.