Question about logging canned beans

Options
I'm confused about the nutritional information on canned beans. Specifically, the grams measurement. Is it for the beans drained or with the liquid? It makes a pretty big difference and the can isn't very clear. I have logging it just as kidney beans, boiled. But even then. Is that measuring the liquid or just the beans?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Just drain it and weigh it. I don't think anyone is supposed to eat the liquid, kinda gross and metal tasting.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I rinse mine and then I log them using the USDA info for "black beans, cooked with salt," or whichever kind of beans they are.
  • lesgigg
    lesgigg Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Drain and rinse them. Log just the beans, no liquid.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    I rinse mine and then I log them using the USDA info for "black beans, cooked with salt," or whichever kind of beans they are.

I began doing this as well when I realized that the canned beans from Winn-Dixie and Aldi never equaled what the package claims. (I made a bean salad and I think I was supposed to have 455 grams of each bean, but it was way under.)
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    The measurements on cans INCLUDES the liquid in the can. You measure it with the liquid and then can pour it off.