Eating under maintenance

Options
I guess this has been discussed a gazillion times... Sorry! I'm about 6 pounds away from maintaining, and I've never been very good at it. I've been pregnant or losing pregnancy weight for the last 5 years, so maintenance seems like forever ago! Anyway, my plan is to keep logging for a while, maybe a few months. Then stop, but keep a close eye on my weight and measurements. I'm planning to eat a little under maintenance, maybe 150 a day, to allow wriggle room for a takeaway or some beers. I guess this is how it works if you eat intuitively.... Any thoughts?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    This is what I do, but I'm still logging and don't really plan on stopping as I have body composition goals and there is not really an end in sight for me at the moment.

I basically shave off 100 calories a few days a week and it allows me to eat about 2500 calories on Saturday. Which is ridiculously easy to do, unfortunately.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused.

If you are eating intuitively and not logging, how are you going to eat 150 below maintenance?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you.
  • arditarose
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused.

If you are eating intuitively and not logging, how are you going to eat 150 below maintenance?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you.

I was wondering that too. I think OP plans on logging for a few months in maintenance/slightly under, then switching to eating intuitively?
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    This summer I will start year 4 on maintenance, and I will continue to log.
  • arditarose
    Options
    pkw58 wrote: »
    This summer I will start year 4 on maintenance, and I will continue to log.

Nice!
  • katerinabowler
    katerinabowler Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes sorry, eat under while logging for the next few months. I'm very nervous about not logging, so I'm tempted to continue
  • arditarose
    Options
    Yes sorry, eat under while logging for the next few months. I'm very nervous about not logging, so I'm tempted to continue

Then just continue. Up your calories by 100 every week until you find maintenance and log until you see fit
  • Jesusjohnjames
    Jesusjohnjames Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I will always log. Y not? Y gain back those pounds not worth it. It takes 3 seconds
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing, but I just keep logging because it helps me. And it usually gives me a good excuse to eat extra because otherwise I'd worry I would go over and be too cautious. Knowledge is power.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I feel that always logging is the safest way to proceed.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I think some people are well suited for "always logging." Some of us are not. I intend to log until I get into a good habit for maintenance and then I intend for the bathroom scale to be my log. I don't have to know ever food item I ate, only whether my net is negative or positive. The bathroom scale will tell me that.
  • robw235
    robw235 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am starting to struggle with this concept. I'm three lbs. below my goal weight and psychologically finding it more difficult than I would have thought to actually increase my calories.