So many eggs!!!

Options
So after a quite an unhealthy weekend I jumped straight back on the wagon today only to be craving eggs! So over my whole day I consumed 5 eggs! This as you can imagine made me exceed my recommended cholesterol by 3x the amount... How do people feel about eggs and or good cholesterol for that matter in terms of weight loss? I also excersise regularly :)

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I think the whole "don't eat too many eggs for cholesterol" thing has been debunked, and even if it was an issue one day of 5 eggs wouldn't be a bother.

Now I want eggs.
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a genetic predisposition to having high cholesterol, I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't make it a habit. My trainer suggests a 3 egg breakfast every day. I eat a lot of chicken and fish, so I get plenty of protein that way. I take statin drugs because of my triglycerides, so I only eat eggs about 2 times a week. Being as you work out, I think your heart is protected from that stuff.
  • hollyanne572
    hollyanne572 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't have a cholesterol problem so that's a good start. Thanks for the advice people's, haha fancy having a craving for eggs.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Actually no, these replies are in general wrong. The current recommendation is about 1 egg per day, even without preexisting health issues. It is more relaxed than the old 2 eggs per week, but still drs do not approve of several eggs per day for adults.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/eggs/

" research doesn’t give the green light to daily three-egg omelets. While a 2008 report from the ongoing Physicians’ Health Study supports the idea that eating an egg a day is generally safe for the heart, it also suggests that going much beyond that could increase the risk for heart failure later in life"
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I can't wait until we get our delivery of 2 dozen farm fresh eggs on Tuesday. We're out now and a few hard boiled eggs sounds amazing right about now.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Actually no, these replies are in general wrong. The current recommendation is about 1 egg per day, even without preexisting health issues. It is more relaxed than the old 2 eggs per week, but still drs do not approve of several eggs per day for adults.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/eggs/

" research doesn’t give the green light to daily three-egg omelets. While a 2008 report from the ongoing Physicians’ Health Study supports the idea that eating an egg a day is generally safe for the heart, it also suggests that going much beyond that could increase the risk for heart failure later in life"

Harvard hates chickens.
  • PhysicsOnIce
    PhysicsOnIce Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My sport nutritionist had me on a high protein diet for a while and recommended 2 eggs daily, until I told him i was getting tired of eggs (about 6 weeks later). While eating 5 eggs daily would probably be bad for you, I don't think that one day would kill you.
  • DanPonting
    DanPonting Posts: 25 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol isn't proportional to the amount of cholesterol in your blood. The fats in egg yolks were found to reduce LDL cholesterol (bad type). Trans fats directly have an impact on HDL cholesterol.

Dietary cholesterol is necessary for testosterone production. I've had 5/6 whole eggs for breakfast for as long as I can remember.
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Eat as many eggs as you want, as part of a balanced diet staying within your calorie limit.
  • dashaclaire
    dashaclaire Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I can't wait until we get our delivery of 2 dozen farm fresh eggs on Tuesday. We're out now and a few hard boiled eggs sounds amazing right about now.

Jealous of you!

I eat two eggs every morning, they are great for you.

Also this is a little morbid but you are going to die of something. Many ways to die are horrible: Cancer, Alzhemier's, and even old age involves watching your body waste away and wearing diapers. People like to pretend that isn't coming down the road but it is. Personally, I'm hoping for a sudden heart attack.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

So very jealous.

Edit: Who flagged this as spam? LOL.

I just came in the add that we're going on vacation soon. My game plan for the week for easy eating includes daily consumption of a large salad topped with hard boiled eggs.

• DanPonting
    DanPonting Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    Ditto, egg cholesterol isn't bad, it's actually good. @DanPonting made a little mistake, HDL is good LDL is bad. So eggs raise HDL which is linked to longer life span.

I had it right the first time I wrote it, then I edited it to be wrong haha.