Has anyone gone from size 3X to S?

Options
Eneelu
Eneelu Posts: 20 Member
edited May 2015 in Success Stories
I was in Las Vegas with my husband few days ago and we were window shopping. While looking at some designer dresses, my husband said that if I will fit into one of these he will buy it for me. I laughed at him and said that it's a size small and that would never happen. Now I'm wondering though, is it possible? With one year I've come from 3X to XL, and I'm 5'9, small seems to be like reaching to the stars. Are there any success stories out there?

Replies

• kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I've gone from 2x to medium.... (see profile pic)
  • s2Mango
    s2Mango Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I would imagine the ability to fit in to a small would be more of a skeletal size thing.. if you have a small skeleton then it very well may be possible! Personally as a large framed person, I don't think I could ever fit in to anything small. Medium maybe.
    I could be wrong though but that's just my thought. No harm in trying so long as you don't throw yourself underweight and unhealthy just for a dress.
  • Greenkat57
    Greenkat57 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    WOW! You've done a lot of work...no doubt you will accomplish your goal! I am also 5'9, but got that big boned German/Irish frame. At my smallest I was a medium, but that was at 150. Below that I looked sickly. But you look like you have a smaller frame. Good luck! I'm sure you'll stun in that dress soon!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Most people look better with enough skin on their bones so that their skeleton features do not show (such as having boney shoulders or hips). If I like a dress or other outfit and it comes in several sizes; I will try on what I 'think' is going to fit me (until I find my size in it) and if I still like what I look like in the mirror, then I will buy it. You can't tell by size label alone. Depending on what manufacturer makes it will have affect on label size. If you have an outfit that you like and you don't like the size of the label (or maybe embarrassed by it) then cut it out. Find outfits that flatter you, no matter what size you are, . . . if you are a heavy person shop in a 'big woman's store'. Better to have an outfit that is stylish and 'in your size' than trying to stuff yourself into a size that is really not cut to fit you. I go to stores, sometimes, with my D-n-L and see the frustration of trying to find something for herself - she is a 'big woman' - large breasts. While I have suggested going to a 'big/larger woman's shop she does not want to do so. I've looked at clothes in them and they are very fashionable and they are priced along the same lines as regular sized clothes in most department stores. Whether you are fat or skinny depends a lot on how your clothes fit you (pattern, color, and cut). Finally, they are showing models who are larger than Twiggy. Nobody is ever going to look like any "Barbie" . . . :wink:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Most people look better with enough skin on their bones so that their skeleton features do not show (such as having boney shoulders or hips). If I like a dress or other outfit and it comes in several sizes; I will try on what I 'think' is going to fit me (until I find my size in it) and if I still like what I look like in the mirror, then I will buy it. You can't tell by size label alone. Depending on what manufacturer makes it will have affect on label size. If you have an outfit that you like and you don't like the size of the label (or maybe embarrassed by it) then cut it out. Find outfits that flatter you, no matter what size you are, . . . if you are a heavy person shop in a 'big woman's store'. Better to have an outfit that is stylish and 'in your size' than trying to stuff yourself into a size that is really not cut to fit you. I go to stores, sometimes, with my D-n-L and see the frustration of trying to find something for herself - she is a 'big woman' - large breasts. While I have suggested going to a 'big/larger woman's shop she does not want to do so. I've looked at clothes in them and they are very fashionable and they are priced along the same lines as regular sized clothes in most department stores. Whether you are fat or skinny depends a lot on how your clothes fit you (pattern, color, and cut). Finally, they are showing models who are larger than Twiggy. Nobody is ever going to look like any "Barbie" . . . :wink:

:huh: the what now?!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I would think at 5'9 it would be hard to fit into small. I am 5'6 and at my most slender (people told me I was too thin though I don't think I was) I wore a medium. Not just for "filling out" but think about sleeve, pants, and skirt length too.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,955 Member
    Options
    I'm just under 5'10" and am 10lbs from goal. I've gone from a 2X (sometimes a 3X) to medium. I don't think I'll quite be a small though. I have broad shoulders and large frame so I'll be happy with wherever I am when I reach my goal weight.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to set a clothing size as a goal, especially when in the US there is absolutely no consistency in sizing to begin with?

Healthy weight, BMI, measurements, how you look/feel, would be more ideal, IMHO.
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    It depends on the store. I went from an XL to M in tops but in bottoms im a 8. Im 5'7 160lbs. In certain stores im a s and can sometimes wear an xs.
  • SunnySouth2
    SunnySouth2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    NEVER say NEVER, it's far reaching but if you want something bad enough it will happen ! !
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can, although sizing is rather variable. I am 5'7" with broad shoulders and 140lb. I was a 3XL (size UK 22 and sometimes bigger) and now a UK size 10 (small). It also depends on how your weight is distributed: I could never be smaller than a UK 10 due to my bust size. Good luck.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Using clothing sizes is pointless, regardless of frame size skeleton. Clothing manufacturers are doing lots of vanity sizing lately. Even within the same company like H&M, go to their «youngster» dep and the size M is considerably smaller than size M in women's dep. Or even more frustratingly, try on two different dresses in both size S from same dep and they still fit differently. It's all bout the cut/design.

It's kinda annoying, cause if clothing companies could agree on a standard for rmeasurements...it would be easier ordering online. The closer the fit, the harder to get right. Think swimwear or underwear.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I've gone from 3x to M.
  • Bridgetthegre
    Bridgetthegre Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and even at 125 pounds (many years ago) I wore a medium shirt or dress. Shoulder width. Chest size. Some things just don't really reduce. Not that that's always a bad thing.
  • stacynoell
    stacynoell Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I originally was 262 in a 2x/3x but now i weigh 172 and wear some mediums and some larges. I have about 20 pounds to go. My body will tell me when to stop and my physician and I have a great relationship. Focus on health and the weight will come off....
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I went from a 3x to a medium in 10 months so I'm assuming I'll get to a small. I can fit into small shirts at victoria secrets, but I think they run big
  • anewghost
    anewghost Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    At my heaviest I was close to 300, wearing size 26 jeans and 3 and 4x shirts. I'm 5'1", and at 191 I wear 20 jeans and 2x shirts. It feels like I'll need to get to at least 150 to get out of the plus size range, even with being short and having tiny boobs. Small or medium seems impossible.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I went from a 24 (2x-3x) to a 4-8 (S-M)
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Eneelu wrote: »
    I was in Las Vegas with my husband few days ago and we were window shopping. While looking at some designer dresses, my husband said that if I will fit into one of these he will buy it for me. I laughed at him and said that it's a size small and that would never happen. Now I'm wondering though, is it possible? With one year I've come from 3X to XL, and I'm 5'9, small seems to be like reaching to the stars. Are there any success stories out there?

Although it doesn't apply to dresses I went from a 5XL to a small/ medium. I didn't like being that small though so went up to a large more comfortable around this size, working on going back to a medium though because I have so many dam cloths in a medium.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!