Snack suggestion to help keep blood sugar level

Options
Since I've started my journey with losing weight I have been experiencing times where my blood sugar will bottom out. I can tell because out of nowhere I will feel shakey and feel like I could pass out. Anyone have advice on healthy snacks that will help level out blood sugar throughout the day?

Replies

• GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you are eating enough calories? You could spread out your meals during the day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    how many calories per day are you eating on average?
  • mleonardco
    mleonardco Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Protein snacks. Like fat free Greek yogurt. Monitor your sugar numbers. It may be high sugar/carb foods at meals that make your insulin levels rise then your blood sugar bottom out. Even high fructose fruits may be doing that. So stick to berries for your fruits. And eat a higher percentage of your calories as proteins.
  • TexOkie12
    TexOkie12 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have also experienced those symptoms and recently learned that I have Type 2 diabetes. My doctor told me to drink 4 oz of Orange juice if I feel weak, shaky or start sweating & it does help. Also, nuts are a good snack, a small handful of almonds, walnuts & even dry-roasted peanuts. Good for your blood sugar as well as your heart.
    I am now eating low carbs as well as low sugar and I'm losing 2+ lbs a week. Still have 50 lbs to go. Yesterday I put Dr Atkins app on my phone since I now eat low carbs, low sugar & more protein.
    . Also I'm getting in at least 30 minutes of exercise daily on my recumbent cycle. I plan to kick that up whenever the rain lets up so I can get out on a walking program.
    Hope some of this is of help. I know that feeling of weakness etc almost to the point of passing out.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you are eating enough calories? You could spread out your meals during the day.
    2nd this

• emilymellott
    emilymellott Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I try to stay around 1,430 calories a day. I'll definitely try eating more protein snacks! Thanks yall