eating more to lose more

Options
2»

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    your logging is pretty accurate

I wonder how long are you not losing weight? 2 weeks?

And another thought is also, you are in a healthy weight range. Want to get lower ( 135 to 120 if i understood right). It will go slow because you dont have much to lose. And 2 weeks isnt that long when you are at a healthy weight range.

Maybe wait a few weeks longer?

Than what your write>>>>> i might be eating more>>>>>> How do you mean. Is there food you didnt or dont log for a reason?
  • gingerbreadbeans
    gingerbreadbeans Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    it's been longer than 2 weeks - more like 4 - 6 and I was thinking that at that low calories it should go faster...but you're right it's not that much to lose. Impatience haha!

No, by "i might be eating more" i merely meant in the way that logging calories can be slightly inaccurate for a number of reasons but i do log everything carefully
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    it's been longer than 2 weeks - more like 4 - 6 and I was thinking that at that low calories it should go faster...but you're right it's not that much to lose. Impatience haha!

No, by "i might be eating more" i merely meant in the way that logging calories can be slightly inaccurate for a number of reasons but i do log everything carefully

Oke :)

yes found your logging pretty good too.
    so maybe it is the fact you dont have much to lose anymore and will go much slower.

• BWBTrish
    Options
    do you measure your self? Maybe you lost in inches...i know i do sometimes. I was the whole month of April fighting over 7 pounds lol up down up down up down etc
    But lost in inches

And May was normal weight loss again.
    Weight loss isn't linear.
  • gingerbreadbeans
    Options
    i do take measurements, but only waist has gone down. No you're right, it isn't linear...just worried that eating this low should be causing some loss...but I know some people have results eating a little more which is why I thought ramping it up, even for a week or so, might help
  • gingerbreadbeans
    Options
    and congrats on getting through April haha!!
  • BWBTrish
    edited May 2015
    Options
    people dont have results eating more...what happens all to often with it is that they are just more focused to be accurate and they start eating more but also be vigorous about their weighing everything which makes them more accurate and as long they have a deficit they will lose. Than they come back with "see i eat more and i start losing weight again" What they forget is that they are more accurate with their logging again.

weight loss is always.... calories in vs calories out and eat less calories than you burn

But you said you lost in inches so you are still losing :) that's good your are not standing still at all. I would watch my diary very carefully and would wait a bit longer. Specially when i lose in inches.

And yeah is gone luckily and had a whoosh after that lol
  • gingerbreadbeans
    Options
    I'm eating more yesterday and today - my workout was certainly better too :) i think a few days higher (but under maintenance) will be good mentally and will still keep me in a deficit so you never know - the body can work in mysterious ways haha. Thanks for all the advice!!
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    oh yes indeed and it is the perfect counter and dont get me wrong when you want or need to eat more always do so. :)
  • erinavery13
    erinavery13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think I often don't eat enough unintentionally....I've only just started keeping track and realizing this. Have I accidentally put my body in starvation mode then gain weight the rare times I eat like a normal person? Or maybe it just fluctuates...Idk

But thinking I should try to make sure I eat breakfast everyday and some snacks.

Liking this app so far...good to figure this stuff out
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I think I often don't eat enough unintentionally....I've only just started keeping track and realizing this. Have I accidentally put my body in starvation mode then gain weight the rare times I eat like a normal person? Or maybe it just fluctuates...Idk

But thinking I should try to make sure I eat breakfast everyday and some snacks.

Liking this app so far...good to figure this stuff out

Starvation mode doesn't work like that. Most likely it's fluctuation.

Only eat breakfast/snacks if you feel you need to, as meal timing/frequency is a personal preference. Just make sure you're logging everything you consume accurately.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    It's a phrase I'm sceptical of but now that I'm 2 weeks from my "used to be" goal-date and am no longer losing (and my weighing etc is accurate) on netting 1000 calories ot less, who has had success with this?

I'm talking that I've been doing 1000 calories or less for 2-3 years not 2-3 weeks and I don't think I should be dropping lower...

Did you gradually build up? Or jump straight up 200 or so to see results?

Did anyone do it and not see results and get them in another way?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Ginger,

I have not read any of the other replies, but I have looked through your diary. You say you have been netting 1.000 calories for the last two or three years. Well, if your diary has looked this way for that long, I guarantee that you are not netting 1,000 calories, you just think you are because you are underestimating calorie intake and overestimating exercise.

You have a lot of generic entries in your diary, which makes me think you don't weigh your food. Do you do a lot of guesstimating? That in itself can lead to underestimating food. Do you weigh your food?

I doubt you are burning over 300 calories in an hour of doubles tennis, and weight lifting should not be counted for its calorie burn. What I do, and most other weight lifters do, is count one calorie and include as part of their normal activity. Anything that is not steady state cardio is too difficult to estimate. Where do you get those calorie burns from?

If I am wrong, and I could very well be, I urge you to go to a doctor because then you have an underlying medical condition that needs attention.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Yeah I reread which is why I'm totally up for eating more haha . I'm just not sure whether to jump right up to 1300 and increase slowly or increase slowly from 1100 upwards

I do a lot of running / weight lifting and of course there's a lot of stuff out there on the starvation "myth" too, to complicate everything!

I have 15lbs or so to lose (mostly from an injury lay off of 4 months). BMR is around 1300-1350 and maintenance probably 1500-1600.

If you are not losing weight at "1,000 calories," you won't lose it if you increase it by any amount. :)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    no i think it's usually pretty accurate - i use a Garmin HRM for my runs, weight lifting etc and there's usually some spare anyway

HRMs are extremely inaccurate for lifting. They're only meant for steady-state cardio.

Yep, and inaccurate for tennis as well.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Taking a smaller deficit, ie eating more, will likely help your body not be stressed out.

Workouts getting better is one sign.

See if you start getting even hungrier.

See if you feel hotter more often - great in winter, perhaps not in summer.

See if you fidget and move around more.

That's how the body can adapt and change the Calories Out on you based on your Calories In. You can actually change the equation by how much you eat.

Remember, even if you ate 250 calories over true maintenance for 2 weeks each and every day, you'd only slowly gain 1 lb. And if lifting, not even fat.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I think eating more to lose more is a great idea. I did it for years and was suddenly 60 pounds overweight. (If you count eleven years as "suddenly"). For some insanely crazy reason, now I am eating less and I am losing. I must be missing something.