For those of us who are falling off the wagon...

Options
Have you taken a moment to sit down and think..WHY?? What is causing me to fall off? I know I have...fallen off for the last two weeks actually...and I have really really given it alot of thought.....and here are my reasons/circumstances.

I am STRESSED to the max!! Work, home, trying to buy a house on a restricted time limit..with nothing available......and I have resorted to my old ways of stress eating!! Always been an emotional stress eater.....and obviously, I still am!

Because I am so stressed...I have been drinking....alot. One of the things I had to do when starting this journey was give up the alcohol. I knew it then...I know it now. I have done without for months...as soon as I decide to have one drink...bam!!! It starts me all over again.....I drink...and I eat....I am a binge eater when I have had a fair amount of alcohol.

I am starting to feel overwhelmed by always having to exercise. I feel like it takes up any time I have to do anything else. I come home from work, I have to hit the treadmill...then by the time I fix supper, eat, log, its time to go to bed. I havent had time to do anything else!! My house is a wreck, things are not getting done,...and it just overwhelms me to a degree...and goodness...on the weekend, when I devote an hour to an hour and half to the treadmill....its 10 times worse. So...what can I do??? I have started giving myself two days during the week for a rest and time to do other things....

I think that maybe I am just getting plain bored with eating the same stuff everyday....oh how I miss good, real food. Not that my meals arent good, mind you they are....but I just eat the same things day after day...and yes, i do throw a bit of change in there every now and again....but well, you get the point.....

Those are my reasons....I have come to terms with them...and will have to deal with them before I can totally and completely get back up on that wagon, reigns IN HAND!! And I WILL!!!! Because I have determined through alot of thinking and soul searching, I do not want to be in the binge, alcohol, overweight, not feeling good, bloated state I have been in for the last two weeks. It has depressed me to no end...seriously. I have felt worse these two weeks, than I have since starting this in Feb. AND since starting the diet exercise in Feb..I have felt better than I have in years....not to mention....LOOK Better. So...its worth it to me, to be hurried and bored and I will overcome this. Will you?

Replies

• BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Didn't help that all of those camping foods I ate this weekend (chips, pizza, hot dogs, smores) tasted better than I had ever imagined they would. What might help you is to get up earlier and workout so it is done! That way, you will have more energy at work. You will also be less likely to "undo" all of that hard work you did that morning by eating junk. Most importantly, you come home from work and you can get all of the other things you have mentioned below done.

The first few times you try to get up at 4:30, you'll want to punch the alarm clock in the face, but dont!!!!! He knows what he is doing and you will be soooooooooo glad when you are done and headed to work at 7! I can burn 1000+ calories at the gym before I get to work. Oh, and I bring my work clothes and shower there b/c it is right by work.

I love the fact that I have time to do family things after work, I feel great and less stressed during the day, and I AM DONE FOR THE DAY

Sometimes, I will play with the kids in the yard at night or go for a walk with the family too....added calorie burn.
    OH, and don't forget to add the calories burned by "moderate cleaning".....makes you want to clean.

Just a suggestion...Don't give up, I'm not.
  • SandraMay1982
    SandraMay1982 Posts: 328
    Options
    My reasons? Stress. Loneliness.

I have a 23 month old son. He picks up bugs at the child care in the gym like anything. I get to go for a week or two. then BAM he's sick again. He gets infections from almost every cold he picks up. so it takes 1-2 weeks until he's good to go again. So then I don't get to the gym unless someone watches him and no one wants to catch his boogers. except his grandma who lives 40-50 minutes drive away so he has to stay over night. so that means half the house goes with him. drugs. vaporiser. etc etc. So I don't want to impose him and his bad sleeping habits on everyone else So I just deal with him. My exhusband works. He needs to sleep otherwise he gets tired and stressed.

SO. I get stuck at home (more so now that it's near winter in Australia and been raining for a couple of days now). What do I do? I listen to my kid, who doesn't nap get cranky, tired, snotty, headachey. haha. I go MAD. So I want to console myself. and I am a binge eater. I have found myself buying more alcohol. I only drink when he's asleep at night. SO I am up late when I get dead tired trying to make him happy during the day for hours on end. Woe is me *L*

For the first time in TWO weeks I get to go to the gym again tomorrow! I am so looking forward too it. My friends online would say they're going to the gym and I would actually be jealous. Because I want my routine back!

the thing I find the most amusing is I am always trying to feed my son up on healthy food and then i go and buy crap food mindlessly when I am at the shops and binge when he's asleep. Just so he doesn't see it. and I know I'm doing it. but just can't stop the hand to mouth!

I have to learn all over again. and pick myself up. It's a long drawn out process. I would have though I would have lost more by now considering I have been on and off at the gym since October and the last month has been the really bad wagon tipping, but alas. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. I don't have work in the mix, but I tell you what. A kid's hard work. *sigh* haha.
  • bikerbaz3
    bikerbaz3 Posts: 1
    Options
    Life isnt fair .............

What i do is 4 on 3 off.
    Mon-thurs i am a good boy, no drink ,sensible eating, and 1 midweek excercise (bike ride 2-3hrs), i get up early and do that before work.

Fri-sat-sun, not so good, i have a few beers, eat a proper meal. I dont feel guilty if i have something i shouldnt, but i dont go mad.
    And a reasonable bike ride (2-4hrs +) sunday.

I can vary it to 5+2 if i want to , but i couldnt do 7 days full on dieting/boring food, life is for having fun as well.

Its all about balance !!!!!!
  • Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. And the drinking thing as well. I don't drink a lot but you can see from my food diaries, when I do, I do it big. And I like to eat after drinking. And if I'm tipsy or drunk, I'll eat whatever I can get my hands on. I've stopped buying it so it's not in the house. It's definitely hindering my weight loss even if I don't binge eat afterwards. And the exercise, yes, it is a struggle to do it every day. I had the surgery on my ankle and it healed a LOT quicker than I expected and you'd think that would be a good thing for me but I was really expecting to have a few weeks off of it and so I took it anyway. Now it's 90something degrees here in Texas, too hot to walk. Excuses for me.
    You can do it. You've done so good since you started. And maybe instead of getting on the treadmill (y'all please don't holler at me for telling her this) cleaning house burns a LOT of calories. If you're house is a mess, use cleaning as your exercise for the day. You can do it girl, you can =]
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    And maybe instead of getting on the treadmill (y'all please don't holler at me for telling her this) cleaning house burns a LOT of calories. If you're house is a mess, use cleaning as your exercise for the day. You can do it girl, you can =]

That is exactly what I did on Saturday....cleaned house all day!
  • boobee32
    Options
    WE can ALL do this!!! Just have to did deep and figure out the REAL hinderances that are keeping us from totally committing. I know I am searching really hard for my answers. I WANT to be fit and I WANT to be thin....but I also WANT to eat and drink....lol
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I'm not falling off *yet*, but I am very tired and stressed, I have taken on too much, and I am getting down about it. I started exercising heavily to deal with grief after losing a close friend, and the grief isn't going. I wonder what will happen in the summer holidays when I won't have any child free time at all in which to exercise.
  • jam3114
    jam3114 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Oh boy did I need to see this post ..........so thank you.
    I'm tired ...............that's my reason.
    I'm tired from not sleeping right, I'm tired trying to cram in exercise 5 days a week, I'm tired thinking of the exam I have in September when I haven't even started the coursework yet................
    I'm annoyed with myself because I can't maintain the dedication needed 7 days a week, I'm annoyed that once again I let myself down this weekend & I didn't log or track calories.
    My house is a mess & I feel stressed about bills, parties, weddings & birthdays that are all around the corner

What am I going to do......................I'm going to bed early, I'm going to fit in exercise 5 days a week & not treat it like the enemy & starting tonight I'm going to start my coursework for 30 mins
    I'm going to be proud that I was able to run 4 miles in under 40 mins on Sunday, I'm going to charge my ipod & start tracking/logging
    I'm going to tackle one room at a time in the house, I'm planning ways to meet the bills & will sort out which of the parties, weddings & birthdays are most important

When I started this response I was on the verge of tears but now that its half sorted in my head I feel a little bit better so a massive thanks ...........Wagon wait for me I'm getting back on :smile:
  • pittielover23
    pittielover23 Posts: 268
    Options
    Mine is stress as well as anxiety. I am working 50ish hours a week and going to school full time right now, and I feel like I have NO free time. I get off work, drive home, workout, cook dinner, do schoolwork then go to bed. 5 days a week. Then on the weekends I have to clean, do laundry, workout, do the rest of my schoolwork (usually around 8-9 hours total for the weekend) and I usually have commitments on top of that. Also trying to plan a bridal shower right now, see my husband on occassion and spend time with the pup. Oh and we are dealing with trouble TTC too.

Ok, well that turned into a giant whine session LOL

I recognize that this is what is causing me to crave lots and lots of the bad food, but I have not gotten to the point where it is easy to turn it down either. I am having a REALLY hard day today. Have not given in or given up yet through, and I know I will be super proud of myself if I can get though it.
  • msamcoates
    msamcoates Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I needed this as well because I have the exact same problems .... I love to drink, which causes binge eating ....

I'm bored with what I've been eating daily ..... and exercise is a pain in my behind.

I've also noticed the weight slowly creeping back on and I can't stand it! ... So I know I need to change, I know I need to cut alcohol and find some time, strength, energy to get up early and exercise.

I'm currently doing a boot camp that honestly, I want to be over! ... But I refuse to give up on it, its only 2x a week, and its only about 3 weeks left .... so yes I will continue to get up and continue to go ....

Now if only I can change my eating to better choices .... but first things first, giving up alcohol.

Best of luck to all of us who have fallen off the wagon, now lets get back on and get right!
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I needed this post today. Thank you. I have been slowly slipping after 5 months of hard work. Finals are this week and grades are due and it is the beginning of the State Tournament run for my high school softball, along with my wedding anniversary today!

I need to refocus on what I really want and not let these uncontrollable factors affect my ability to reach my goals. I will continue my journey and be successful!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,405 Member
    Options
    Wow, is this great timing or what! I just posted a "rant" about myself on my home page because weekends are killing me! I do great during the week, eat healthy, get a great workout in, and just say no for the most part. But then, BAM the weekend comes along and for the next 3 months I have something every single weekend and this has been the case since Easter. I have no control. I completely undo all my good work during the week and eat too much and not of the good stuff. I reached my goal weight back in February and I'm starting to revert to what got me here in the first place. I like my new clothes, I like the compliments I get, I like the way I look so why am I sabotaging myself on weekends?!?! I really hate when friends/folks I know say "hope you can keep the weight off" and here I am eating to make that happen. One of my MFP friends just got me to realize I'm not logging all the bad stuff because I'm embarrassed! So, this weekend, (my son's graduation and you know what that means!) I will log EVERY single thing that goes in my mouth. If I'm embarrassed, I only have myself to blame and maybe, I'll not put it in my mouth. Thanks for posting, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one falling off the wagon. We can do this!!!
  • MissMom3
    MissMom3 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am going thru the same thing big time...3 kids (5 and under i might add), work, moving...there is not enough time in a day. I should get up and go to the gym in the morning, i keep telling myself i will but just never do it. And the alcohol...i love to drink. i drink probably 2-3 nights a week, but the next day i'm just wore down and feel like doing nothing except what i really have to. i need to get back in my routine...i felt so much better and had so much more energy for my kids. but anyway thank you for this post, i haven't been on the site in about a week so it's nice to hear other people's stories for some motivation. =)
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I think that maybe I am just getting plain bored with eating the same stuff everyday....oh how I miss good, real food.

I think you may be making it harder than it needs to be. Instead of looking at the forest, look at one tree and let's cut that ONE tree down. If you can, write down all your stressors. Then try to think logically about how you can alleviate each individual stressor. Is there something you can be doing (or do once) that could help you to relieve your stress? For example,

1. This is a lifestyle, not a diet. Eat what you want, but log it. You can be good without giving up "good, real food." If you want a slice of pizza, eat a slice of pizza - just make sure it fits into your day.

2. As a Realtor, I totally get the housing stress. Hang in there. Think of it this way... WHAT IS THE WORST CASE SCENARIO? You need to rent for a couple of months until you find your perfect house while you put stuff in storage? (yep, that would suck, but it's not the end of the world.). It certainly beats the alternative of buying something you don't really like just because you're on a time crunch. Have a Plan B, so you aren't stressing about finding the perfect house (when it may not be out there yet). Also, make sure your search paramaters are VERY CLEAR to your Realtor. DON'T let them run you around to houses you know aren't right. You can't fit a square peg in a round hole. If it's not right for some reason or another, omit it from your list. Don't waste your time on "might be o.k." houses.

3. You said your house was a wreck? Could hiring someone to come in and clean once help you out? Then you just have to KEEP it picked up.

4. Treadmill after work - would it be easier/better to get up an hour earlier and get it out of the way? You would then have your evenings free to do other things.

5. Alcohol... I hear ya! I'm a lightweight, so it doesn't take much to get me to start nibbling. Except for the rare occassion, I just won't partake. If you're drinking alot to deal with the stress, you may want to take a much deeper look into that behavior. *just sayin*
  • raksha
    raksha Posts: 30
    Options
    Great timing for me!!! I am slowing slipping.......I haven't logged, excercised consistently for over 2 weeks now!! For me it's more like if the scale doesn't move I lose motovation. My solution is to put my scale up (and pull it down once a week for a weigh-in) and focus on how good I feel after I've eaten well and excercised!! Good luck to everyone!

R
  • tinacrane
    tinacrane Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It's very difficult to handle all that we are given sometimes. If you can look at each of your stressors individually and decide how to handle them one by one, it may seem less overwhelming! Anything you can control feels good. For me, that at least means controlling my food intake! It seems sometimes that is the only thing that I completely control!

Even though you tend to eat and drink with stress- try and do all things in moderation. Get rid of all bad food and limit the amount of alcohol in the house as well. Be honest and begin to track all alcohol, snacks and food. Being in control of one area of your life may make you stronger to handle the other areas.

Try and incorporate walking in your work day-park far and walk in and walk the long way to the restroom and take a walk at lunch! All better than no exercise and will make you feel better too!
  • boobee32
    Options

2. As a Realtor, I totally get the housing stress. Hang in there. Think of it this way... WHAT IS THE WORST CASE SCENARIO? You need to rent for a couple of months until you find your perfect house while you put stuff in storage? (yep, that would suck, but it's not the end of the world.). It certainly beats the alternative of buying something you don't really like just because you're on a time crunch. Have a Plan B, so you aren't stressing about finding the perfect house (when it may not be out there yet). Also, make sure your search paramaters are VERY CLEAR to your Realtor. DON'T let them run you around to houses you know aren't right. You can't fit a square peg in a round hole. If it's not right for some reason or another, omit it from your list. Don't waste your time on "might be o.k." houses.

WEll, the thing about my loan is....it is a government loan.....and i have been given a timeframe of 90 days, or i lose it and have to reapply. It has taken me 8 months to get the approval as it is. There is nothing out there that will sell for what it is worth..there are so many foreclosures dragging the market down, that nothing will appraise for what the people want for it!!!! So.....lol...I worked in the real estate market for 12 years as an office mananger...and I still have access to the GaMls...so I am able to bring up all the active listings, and I call my realtor and tell her what i want to see...lol..she is also a very close personal friend, and doesnt try to drag me to stuff that is not for me....

I dont want to buy something I am not happy with...100 percent, but I also do not want to lose this loan...so yes, it is a major stressor that is not going to go away....but thanks for your advice...
  • boobee32
    Options
    seems like alot of us are feeling this....and all for our different reasons ...but we all have ONE thing in common and that is our desire to look and feel better, and to reshape our bodies. Lets do THIS!!! Its not going to happen overnight, that is for sure....I am willing to hang on..are you?
  • boobee32
    Options
    Oh boy did I need to see this post ..........so thank you.
    I'm tired ...............that's my reason.
    I'm tired from not sleeping right, I'm tired trying to cram in exercise 5 days a week, I'm tired thinking of the exam I have in September when I haven't even started the coursework yet................
    I'm annoyed with myself because I can't maintain the dedication needed 7 days a week, I'm annoyed that once again I let myself down this weekend & I didn't log or track calories.
    My house is a mess & I feel stressed about bills, parties, weddings & birthdays that are all around the corner

What am I going to do......................I'm going to bed early, I'm going to fit in exercise 5 days a week & not treat it like the enemy & starting tonight I'm going to start my coursework for 30 mins
    I'm going to be proud that I was able to run 4 miles in under 40 mins on Sunday, I'm going to charge my ipod & start tracking/logging
    I'm going to tackle one room at a time in the house, I'm planning ways to meet the bills & will sort out which of the parties, weddings & birthdays are most important

When I started this response I was on the verge of tears but now that its half sorted in my head I feel a little bit better so a massive thanks ...........Wagon wait for me I'm getting back on :smile:

WEll, dont try to take on too much too soon, you will only burn yourself out all over again.
  • swekmom
    swekmom Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    All of the above!! I can't seem to get motivated to do anything right now. I know what I should and shouldn't be doing but that's as far as I get! LOL. I am trying to get back on that moving wagon and start watching portion sizes again (that's my huge downfall!!) Let's do this!