Interval HIIT Sprints - Treadmill

Options
looking for some workout recommendations, today I did 1minx10 with 30 rest on the treadmill today. Running at a peace of 14km per hour with a decent incline. Loved the workout, would like some recommendations on how long I should do this for and how frequently. Aim for doing this workout is to improve my overall fitness and keep body fat minimal. Thanks!

Replies

• brad837
    brad837 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Here is what I do:
    4 minute warmup, walking briskly.
    At minute 4, I take the treadmill to a sprint, between 13-15km/h.
    I sprint for 1 minute, then back to a brisk walk.
    1 Minute on, 1 Minute off for 17 minutes.
    At minute 21, I do a 4 minute cool down.

25 minutes total...

The key is to make the 'on' sprints as hard as possible. I see too many people who don't really push themselves, and complain that they aren't seeing results. You should be gasping for breath at the end of each sprint...

Good Luck!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I would be very careful about sprinting on an incline unless you have worked your way up, slowly, to that distance, speed, and incline. Otherwise that's a quick route to Achilles problems. I realize you are not a runner or at least you didn't say you are, but only very very seasoned runners are doing multiple sprint workouts per week because it is incredibly taxing on your legs and core.

If you are doing *true* HIIT, at full intensity, you should not be able to manage it more than 2-3x/week. And definitely not back to back days! Might be good to supplement with some long slow cardio on in between, or strength training.
  • Momma_Raucks
    Momma_Raucks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Pintrest has some AWESOME HIIT programs for treadmill. My trainer has me doing 30 seconds HARD, to 1 min recovery for 30 min MAX.