Preparing chicken breasts for the whole week

russellvolk
russellvolk Posts: 102 Member
Hello everyone,

I bake my chicken on the weekend and it lasts me the entire week. However, after it has been refrigerated, it then becomes dry. Any tips on how to prepare chicken breasts for the whole week, so it doesn't dry out?

Thanks

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited May 2015
    Are you freezing the chicken or just refrigerating? Id be wary of going over 4 days.
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Prep it then freeze it in individual bags to take out the morning your going to want it or night before and reheat as needed
    As above said are you eating 7day old chicken?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    How are you cooking your chicken now?
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    I wrap and freeze individual portions and then thaw in the fridge for the next day as needed.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Slow cook them in some kind of sauce, then shred. I agree with freezing any portions that would be consumed after 3 days.
  • vschwgrt1
    vschwgrt1 Posts: 86 Member
    biggest mistake people make with chicken breast if overcooking it. Do you reheat them when you thaw them out, which is going to dry them out because of the freezing too. Under cook them a little so that when you warm them up they will be just right. I like them slow cooked too, with onion, garlic, a small tomato, chicken broth, then shred for taco's. The moisture from the broth and vegs help keep them from being dry. But plain grilled need to be just BARELY done, so the pink is just gone. not overdone.
  • vschwgrt1
    vschwgrt1 Posts: 86 Member
    meant to say is overcooking not if overcooking. Bad typist but good cook. Freezing cooked food is just like cooking it more. Chicken breast cooks so QUICK that it really doesn't make sense to cook a week ahead. Just slice it thin, season, spray a pan, grill quick.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Buy bone in, skin on or boneless skinless chicken breast if you prefer. Trim fat, but don't cut the chicken itself. If desired, cut it once in half.

Marinate in a Ziploc bag with olive oil, fresh thyme, fresh garlic, scallions, black pepper, and perhaps one additional spice of your choice. No salt yet.

Preheat a stovetop pan or grill. Season chicken in both sides with kosher salt at this time. Sear until golden brown. Flip and cook through. Don't overcook. Cooking will continue slightly via carryover cooking.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,482 Member
    I prefer using chicken thighs. More flavor, more moisture, cheaper, and reheats better. Just my preference.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    I use chicken thighs myself. They taste so much better than chicken breasts, reheats better.
  • acollis1
    acollis1 Posts: 167 Member
    I cook a bunch of chicken breasts on Sunday too, I have learned to undercook them a little (by 5 mins) then I put them in bags, weigh them, and freeze. thaw in fridge overnight and heat in microwave for 2 minutes, works great!
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    I cook in the oven plain covered with tin foil. Don't overcook. This gives me a nice plain chicken that I mix into stir fries, am breakie, or in salads.

I also have been bbq up (well, my husband has been for me) turkey burgers so I have some in the fridge for when I'm hungry. I love them.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    When reheating, I cut the meat up into small chunks and add a couple of slivers of butter. Then just nuke it until they melt. Usually only about 30 seconds. Yes, it's BUTTER, but I use maybe a 1/4 tablespoon, so it doesn't add that much and yet helps keep the meat from drying out. More is better, but I'm trying to be good. XD
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    I pan fry mine in a non stick pan with no oil and put a lid on it plus I add chicken stock and spices so it steams and I find it stays moist all week.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member

I also use chicken thighs. I found I was wasting breast because the just didn't taste as good reheated. As far as prep lately I have been grilling mine outside but if I am feeling lazy I will steam or do them in the oven. Never had a problem.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    don't cook them quite all the way. so when you reheat them you are finishing the cooking.