apparently i cant eat gluten ? :(

Options
Ever since I got back from Cuba in march, gluten has been ruining my day. The physical discomfort and my mood does a 360 a little bit after. Looking for some friends to give me some motivation when I need some!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Possibly but not apparently. You could go for a test to see if you have a gluten intolerance but it means eating breads as normal for a few months.
  • mandymadellc
    mandymadellc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try balancing your internal flora. Avoid gluten for awhile. Allow your small intestine time to recoup. Yogurt and "pearls". Or "biocult" they are active bio cultures that help you digest gluten. Chances are if you were completely depleted of the good flora from dietary changes, you could have a temporary sensitivity. The test is a biopsy. It hurts like hell. Try this first. The test sucks.
  • mandymadellc
    mandymadellc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Mood changes are also due to the fact most serotonin is processed in the digestive system. If your alimentary canal is inflamed and flushing itself out your hormonal regulation will suffer. Ever get super crabby when you're constipated?
  • M3lodica
    M3lodica Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have eaten gluten free for about 13 months. I found out a year and a half ago that I have fibromyalgia. Eliminating gluten was not easy at first, but now it's just a part of how I eat. When I accidentally eat gluten, I have a lot of pain for a couple of days, so that's definitely a motivating factor. I'll help you if I can.

M3lodica
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    If you think your have a gluten problem do yourself the favor of going to the doctor. I have celiac disease and there often other problems associated with it. You need to get the full picture. Don't self-diagnose.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You should see a doctor. There's a chance you picked something up in Cuba that requires medical attention. Don't just decide gluten is the problem without at least getting checked out first.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I agree, get tested. Celiac disease is not something you want to play guessing games with.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I've stopped eating gluten about 9 months ago and it got rid of my IBS and really reduced the anxiety I was feeling. I occasionally eat it and remember why I stopped within an hour. My personal experience is that not eating gluten makes me accutely aware of my allergy. Eating gluten after a while away feels worse than when I was eating it all the time. Feel free to add me as friend. I am usually active on here and active generally
  • peachesmarie
    peachesmarie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi :) my sisters and I are gluten free. It makes us feel depressed it makes us gain weight and it makes PMS 10x worse!! My sisters got bad skin also. We cut it out have lost a ton of weight and feel much better. You don't have to have a test to tell you to cut it out. Gluten is not beneficial for your body in anyway, you categorically do not need it, at best it is hard to digest (why does pretty much everyone get bloated after a pizza? Or white bread? Because it's causing a reaction inside us!) at worst it causes severe inflammation in digestive system/colon which overtime can cause severe IBS, Crohn's disease or even cancer. Cutting it out can only be a good thing so I suggest you do it if you notice negative feelings, pains or anything after eating it! It's a no brainer! My friend has struggled with "gynae" pains and issues for 9 years - doctors were at a loss after tests, cameras, ops, meds galore! Turns out she is actually intolerant to gluten and ended up with a severely inflamed small intestine and colon. 6 weeks of no wheat/gluten diet and she is a different person! Good thing is also you can still bake etc. all that has to be substituted is the flour for a wheat/gluten free version which genuinely makes cakes/bread which taste exactly the same. Also genius are a brill gluten free company stocked at asda, morrisons and sainsburys. Also they all do their own "free from" range. You can buy everything from pasta (tastes the same) to crumpets, croissant, biscuits, wraps, pizza bases etc etc etc. you don't have to change ur life massively. You jus have to buy and eat consciously. Trust me it's easy. Gluten free = way forward.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Ever since I got back from Cuba in march, gluten has been ruining my day. The physical discomfort and my mood does a 360 a little bit after. Looking for some friends to give me some motivation when I need some!

I feel you. I've realised that i'm Gluten intolerant too. I either wasnt before or i just didnt make the connection, but now if i eat wheat etc my stomach bloats up like a balloon (i seriously look 6 months pregnant, no lie) and i get nasty stomach cramps, feel like i have a concrete slab in my belly and then im left craving cr@ppy carbs with my mood up and down like a yo-yo. Not good. So no wheat/gluten for me either.

Im actually loosely following a Primal type WOE now and it seems to be helping. We shall see.

Add me if youd like some more friendly support